Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
New 2012 V6 Owner - (Old) Kid with a New (Used) Toy.

Hi all!
I've been driving a 2004 Ford Escape V6 for the past 12 years and have put 236k miles on it. I has served me well and still doesn't burn a bit of oil, but the little repairs are starting to become more frequent, so I thought it was time to start looking for a suitable replacement. I liked the size of the Escape and it always did a good job of getting me in and out of my steep mountain driveway in the snow. Fuel economy wasn't the greatest and I found the power to be adequate (200hp, 3L) but a little bit lacking at times, especially when passing another vehicle or hauling a good load at high altitudes.

I started looking for something similar, but hopefully with better fuel economy and more power. After reading reviews, doing comparisons, watching YouTube videos and last, but not least, reading owners comments on this forum, I decided that a RAV4 V6 was the car for me. To make a long story short, I flew from Colorado to Georgia on Saturday to pick up a well-equipped 4WD, as the deal I found made it well worth the cost of the flight and the gas money to drive it back. As a bonus, I've gotten to see family and friends in the Carolinas, Indiana, Illinois and am now in Iowa seeing my daughter and playing with my grandkids before heading back to Colorado in a few days.

I had not driven the RAV4 before picking mine up at the dealership, so it was a little bit of a leap of faith. To say the least, I have been completely BLOWN AWAY by this vehicle! Solid ride, quiet, well made, well thought out interior, and the fastest car I have ever owned! I was actually disappointed when I ran out of trucks to pass on a two lane Indiana highway this morning. ;) And I've found that I sometimes had to SLOW DOWN to get on the interstate after accelerating down the on-ramp. Too much fun! I haven't been surprised by that after reading the many posts regarding the performance but I'm sure enjoying experiencing it for myself! Oh...and I've gotten 25, 26 and 23mpg (odometer/gallons) on my last three tanks of gas, the bulk of that at 80mph, so haven't been disappointed with that.

Anyway, thanks for all the info and helping me make my decision!!! I look forward to digging into the archives here to get future questions answered and ownership advice. Cheers!

·
Super Moderator
10,149 Posts
Welcome to V6 RAV4 ownership and the forum I joined when I bought mine 7 years ago. (Now they've even make me a moderator so I put a few paragraph divides in your post just for readability. Hope you don't mind.)

My experience was and is very similar to yours. Flew from Connecticut to Florida for ours and drove it home. To buy a one-way ticket you certainly have to be 100% sure of the car, the deal and the dealer. Turned out I was 110% satisfied with all three. I didn't drive 80 but did run out of trucks to pass!

Only problem was it's my wife's car and I got so hooked on the power I was running out of excuses to pilot hers instead of driving my '94 Accord EX. Finally she said, "Get your own car!" With the okay to spend another $15K I bought another one-way ticket to Georgia and drove my '06 V6+electric Accord Hybrid home.

That, my dirt bike and getting to dynotune some very fast motorcycles are making it okay to only test drive the RAV4 occasionally. :D :thumbs_up:

And BTW, you'll have another very satisfying experience coming when you get to drive it in snow. All I can say is hang on! :wink

Reactions: vanib

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Dr. D! I'm already quite familiar with you after reading so many of the threads during my research. I appreciate all your work and input on the forum!

·
Registered
8,537 Posts
Yeah, one great danger in owning the V6 RAV is that exceeding whatever is the speed limit is so effortless that the driver isn't even aware until having a look at the speedo, hopefully before seeing a red light in the rear view mirrors! :surprise

1 - 5 of 5 Posts