Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I recently just purchased my car and I would like your advice on how much I should tint my car? I live in Houston, TX where the temperatures can rise to over 100 Fahrenheit or 37.8 Celsius. My car's exterior color is gray and the inside has black leather. I know.. :(
The windows are still factory tint, I believe no work has ever been done on them due to a short previous personal ownership period. I would really enjoy the heat reduction, more privacy (since I have to sit in traffic for over an hour sometimes), and I would still like to be able to see out of the rear windshield at night. I'm a 19 year old college girl who doesn't need it blacked out, however I think giving my car a tint would be beneficial to me because I have to park on the roof of a garage all day 11AM-5PM.. Advice please? I will attach photos of my car, currently. Link to photos: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet I'm aware the car is parked under a covering, I will update with a more informative photo soon under the sun!

Thanks so much for your time!

·
Registered
10 Posts
factory tint is 25% ... i had 20% put on the front windows. I like it. If was was in the south i would have them do 20% over all windows ... that would black the back windows and keep it alot cooler.

·
Super Moderator
11,112 Posts
I suggest you google the Texas laws for window tint. Any tint shop worth their salt should be able to offer good advice. I did the front windows only on mine and it made a world of difference. I'm also near the coast but much farther south than you are. I chose the 3M brand of tint because it has a lifetime warranty at any shop authorized to sell & install it.

Too dark can get you a ticket and a lot of hassle from locals or DPS.

·
Registered
20 Posts
We went with 35% on the front windows and 35% over the factory tint. The factory tint is just dark privacy glass and offers little to no uv and heat rejection. We went with Suntek Carbon CXP which has about the same heat rejection as ceramic tint with a slightly lesser cost. You will notice the car is cooler!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts