Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We took delivery on our 2015 XLE last Friday and we love the car. The one thing so far that frustrates me is the daytime running lights. I think it's ridiculous that there is no way for the DRLs to be on whenever the engine is on, despite choosing the "on" setting in the vehicle setup menu. Even with that set to on I still have to make sure the stalk is turned to DRL in order for the lights to be on. This means that if I have the lights off and driving the DRLs won't be on unless I remember to turn the stalk to the DRL position.

Unless I'm missing something or don't know what I'm doing, which is possible, I find the imemtation of the DRLs on my RAV totally confounding.

·
Registered
2015 Rav4 XLE AWD
213 Posts
On my 2015 XLE I leave the light switch in the 3rd position (parking lights) all the time and whenever the engine is shut off the DRL lights and parking lights go off. Only at night do I move to the headlight position and back to parking when shut off the engine.

Frank 2015 Rav4 XLE AWD with 8700 miles

·
Registered
83 Posts
yeah it seems silly to me too and no you are not missing anything when you turn the lights off you just have to leave the stalk in the DRL position if you want them to come on when you drive again.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Our 2014 DRL's are on all the time without having to do anything.
They come on as soon as the car starts to move and stay on until
engine is turned off - all as standard.

·
Registered
29 Posts
We took delivery on our 2015 XLE last Friday and we love the car. The one thing so far that frustrates me is the daytime running lights. I think it's ridiculous that there is no way for the DRLs to be on whenever the engine is on, despite choosing the "on" setting in the vehicle setup menu. Even with that set to on I still have to make sure the stalk is turned to DRL in order for the lights to be on. This means that if I have the lights off and driving the DRLs won't be on unless I remember to turn the stalk to the DRL position.

Unless I'm missing something or don't know what I'm doing, which is possible, I find the imemtation of the DRLs on my RAV totally confounding.
When auto makers began to put DRLs on vehicles, the cry of many was that there was no way to turn them off. (Driving through a military base where the rule was for no lights.) So the auto makers put a position on the stalk to turn DRLs off. Think of the DRL position as off. Then think of the DRL off position as really fully off.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
I wonder if the Canadian stalk is a drop-in replacement for the US part?
I wouldn't mind having that, as we never go anywhere with a "lights off" rule.

Better would be if they reversed the positions of "off" and "drl" so rotated fully back sets the DRLs on and one click forward goes fully dark.
My wife rarely runs her DRLs because she's used to shutting off the lights on her last 3 Toyotas for the last 20 years and hasn't retrained herself to leave the switch up by one.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is there no way, like via Techstream for the DRLs to always be on when the engine is on, regardless of stalk or vehicle settings?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I wish my Tundra had the same setting as the Rav4. I can't turn my DRLs off, which is annoying at times.
Can't please everyone I guess.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Buy a Canadian rav. ;p

DRL are required and no way to shut them off. We have heated seats and automatic headlights standard on our XLE as well. Of course our cars cost $5000+ more as well.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Is there no way, like via Techstream for the DRLs to always be on when the engine is on, regardless of stalk or vehicle settings?
Nope.
Shut off delay can be adjusted, but you can't force the DRLs to be on or off in defiance of the stalk setting.

Buy a Canadian rav. ;p

DRL are required and no way to shut them off. We have heated seats and automatic headlights standard on our XLE as well. Of course our cars cost $5000+ more as well.
But you have free medical! 0:)

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
So what's the part number on the Canadian turn signal stalk?
I'd like to look into replacing ours.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I assume that wouldn't address the DRL issue that frustrates me.
Why not? Their stock doesn't have the off position which is what you want.

Personally I don't see the problem, more options are a good thing. I always just leave mine in the DRL position (for day). Then 2 clicks for head lights on then 2 clicks back to DRL for off. Simple. Not something I would spend money on to change. Plus you have the option to turn everything off. You don't have to, it's just an option.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Why not? Their stock doesn't have the off position which is what you want.

Personally I don't see the problem, more options are a good thing. I always just leave mine in the DRL position (for day). Then 2 clicks for head lights on then 2 clicks back to DRL for off. Simple. Not something I would spend money on to change. Plus you have the option to turn everything off. You don't have to, it's just an option.
Interestingly enough your post got me to searching online and I found this on Ebay:

2014 TOYOTA RAV4 ICON D-4D 2.0 1AD-FTV HEADLIGHT & INDICATOR STALK | eBay

I have no idea whether or not it would actually work to have always on DRLs or make the headlight system fully auto like on the Limited.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts