Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally retired the 06 rav4 AWD 4cyl with 265,000 miles and replaced it with a 16 LE AWD.

2,000 miles on it so far and no problems to report.

The 16 model is so much more refined than the 06. 06 feels like a tin can compared to this.

I guarantee you no one put a rav4 through what we did with the 06. Almost all driving was high altitude mountain driving in Colorado, poorly maintained dirt roads every single day, mud, snow, cold, steep, long grades with the pedal smashed to the floor on an almost daily basis etc.... Lots and lots of real hard use. We did have the oil consumption issue with the pistons. Started at about 100k and we just added oil until we got rid of it at 265k miles.

Hopefully the 16 lasts as long and is as reliable. We are no longer living in the mountains of Colorado so this RAV will live in much better conditions. Should be a piece of cake if Toyota did their part.

·
Registered
37 Posts
what tires did it come with?, my 13 xle came with geolanders.. ( very loud). i just replaced with Firestone Le2 so far they are very nice..

- if you do plan to take some trail roads.. the new rav should do fine.. i have been very impressed with my 13 and that was with the old tires.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what tires did it come with?, my 13 xle came with geolanders.. ( very loud). i just replaced with Firestone Le2 so far they are very nice..

- if you do plan to take some trail roads.. the new rav should do fine.. i have been very impressed with my 13 and that was with the old tires.
Tires are Continental Cross Contact LX
225/65R17

The tire is a M+S rated tire, that is surprising to me.

The tires are quiet and have good wet and dry traction. Hopefully they last, but my experience with new cars is their tires don't last that long. We will see what happens.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Do you feel that the 4 cyl in the 2016 has about the same power as in your 2006? I would think it would be a little under powered for high altitude mountain driving. I drove through Kansas on a windy day in my 2015 and it dropped back into 4th gear a lot to keep up speed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you feel that the 4 cyl in the 2016 has about the same power as in your 2006? I would think it would be a little under powered for high altitude mountain driving. I drove through Kansas on a windy day in my 2015 and it dropped back into 4th gear a lot to keep up speed.
2016 feels like it has more power, but I am comparing to a high mileage 06 that was burning oil so it isn't a good comparison.

Most of the times it wasn't under powered. You do have to hit the high rpms on big grades since it doesn't have the torque. The engine can take it though. I like the 4 cyl.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
Tires are Continental Cross Contact LX
225/65R17

The tire is a M+S rated tire, that is surprising to me.

The tires are quiet and have good wet and dry traction. Hopefully they last, but my experience with new cars is their tires don't last that long. We will see what happens.
Congrats on the new RAV. Note: You'll be lucky to get 30,000 out of the Cross Contacts. They will be pretty much toast on anything slick by 25,000.

We have 24,000 on our 2014 and I'm shopping now. GREAT Tire until 20,000.
Then it's off the cliff. :frown

·
Registered
4 Posts
Finally retired the 06 rav4 AWD 4cyl with 265,000 miles and replaced it with a 16 LE AWD.

That's encouraging! We're first time Toyota owners. Didn't actually need AWD here in the Houston area, but that's what was on the one we liked.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's encouraging! We're first time Toyota owners. Didn't actually need AWD here in the Houston area, but that's what was on the one we liked.
If it wasn't for the issue with the pistons, that motor would of went over 300k easily. The fact that it lasted so long with the piston issue is amazing itself.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Congrats on the new RAV. Note: You'll be lucky to get 30,000 out of the Cross Contacts. They will be pretty much toast on anything slick by 25,000.

We have 24,000 on our 2014 and I'm shopping now. GREAT Tire until 20,000.
Then it's off the cliff. :frown
Wife and I are usually a little hard on tires. I already told her new car tires don't last, expect 15-20k miles.

We use to only get 30-35k miles per set in Colorado. We where putting on 30k miles a year so we pretty much bought tires every single year with almost monthly oil changes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We already had 3 inches of snow here, which is very unusual. The new RAV4 drives exactly the same as the 06 did in the snow. It isn't quite as good as a subaru in snow, but very close and still does great. IMO the car is more reliable than a Subaru, so over all a better vehicle, which is very popular in CO so I have lots of experience with them.

You just never know what will happen, where you will travel or move to etc... All our vehicles are AWD or 4WD even though we moved from CO. Just the other day I parked my truck off the side of the road to help a family member and the shoulder was so much lower than the road itself I couldn't get the truck to drive up onto the road when leaving. The suspension maxed out, unloaded a tire, I would lose traction, spin and I couldn't get onto the road. Dropped it in 4wd and drove right out no problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts