Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We recently bought new RAV4 and it makes a very annoying high pitch noise when idling from 55mph to 45mph. Does anyone else experience the same problem?

We test drove other 2016 RAV4 and we could hear the noise but it was much lower than what we hear in our car. Toyota says the noise is normal and they do not care that it is much louder than in other cars...

I drove this car last weekend on a busy highway for 6 hours and there is no way I could do that without listening to the loud music as this noise drives me and my wife crazy.

Here is the video with this whining noise
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nferLqi_u8

·
Super Moderator
11,112 Posts
Moved to the correct 4.4 area from 4.3.

·
Registered
54 Posts
It is noticeable especially when i lower my radio volume. No, i havent had it checked yet by the dealership.

·
Registered
32 Posts
It sounds like it's caused by the aerodynamics of the vehicle, and really you are being a little obsessive compulsive, I can't believe that wind noise bothers you that much. maybe you should have purchased a more aerodynamic vehicle.

Check out this thread and refer to post #5 Good advice!!!!!!!!

Back in a RAV4 ... sort of

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is not a wind noise. It sounds like transition and only happens if you idle from 55mph to 45mph. There is no whining sound on neutral.

The mechanic who was troubleshooting the issue admitted that this whining sound was driving him crazy too=).

We test drove a different 2016 RAV4 and while it had a similar noise from 55mph to 45mph it was hardly noticeable, so my guess is only selected RAV4s will have this problem.

FYI. We previously had 2009 RAV4 so I am aware what to expect from SUV...

It sounds like it's caused by the aerodynamics of the vehicle, and really you are being a little obsessive compulsive, I can't believe that wind noise bothers you that much. maybe you should have purchased a more aerodynamic vehicle.

Check out this thread and refer to post #5 Good advice!!!!!!!!

Back in a RAV4 ... sort of

·
Registered
72 Posts
I am having a hard time hearing it completely, but if it is not wind noise could it be a ground loop whine?

Does it change in pitch and tone when you accelerate?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I went to two different dealers and both of them admitted that there is whining noise that appears from 55-45mph while idling. Toyota doesn't have a solution to address the problem and as they are concerned the noise is "normal"...

The last dealer put in writing that the noise is louder in my car than in the other new 2016 RAV4 they had in the lot. I have a pending case with Toyota now, so I should know more next week.

From what I see is that this is not an easy to fix problem and dealers are trying to avoid it. When you talk to technician in the car during test drive they admit that the noise is not normal and very annoying. When talking to the service representative they tell you that there is nothing they can do as the high pitch noise is normal and is "similar" to the noise in other 2016 RAV4. They do not want to take in consideration that it is much louder then in other cars...

I would like to know what the dealership told you about the sound. Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When you accelerate there is no noise. It only appears when idling from 55-45mph.

I'll post a better video so you can compare before and after.

I am having a hard time hearing it completely, but if it is not wind noise could it be a ground loop whine?

Does it change in pitch and tone when you accelerate?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can you share your age?

I have a theory... As people age they loose ability to hear high frequency sounds. Some people have hard time hearing whining sound in the video I've posted, so I wonder if it might be due to the age difference?

It is noticeable especially when i lower my radio volume. No, i havent had it checked yet by the dealership.

·
Premium Member
7,942 Posts
I'm nearly 70, never heard the whine in my 2015 but probably because of the other road noise, but I don't hear it in my Hybrid either which is much quieter than the 2015, but I can hear it in the video.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Just went to make a new thread on this before I turned off the dummy switch in my brain and found this.
I have just started to notice this same sound in our 17'...it is driving me mental and thought it was just me, until my wife just asked me today if I noticed any weird high pitch sound while driving it.
Just wondering if anyone has found any solution to this from a dealer or otherwise? @HighPitchNoise you seem to have talked to a couple dealers about this, any update on this? Or have you blown your brains out already and it's too late for me?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@J-Roc I feel your pain. This is amazing that they are having the same issues with 2017 models. It tells me that they do not take customer complaints seriously... I still have the same issue and the car is at 15 000 miles... Toyota so far handled it really bad. I still have an active case with them and we will probably meet with their tech next week. This noise comes from transmission when the car tries to idle. To remove the noise you need to slightly push a gas pedal or put the car in the neutral. I know this is not the solution you are looking for and this is not reasonable for brand new car, but it works as a temp solution.

Now I've read on forums that someone had a luck with Toyota replacing the whole transmission, but after the repair they could here the noise at 75 miles per hour range... We test drove multiple RAV4s the same year and model and the noise was present but it much quieter and not distracting.

Can you post the video of your problem so we can compare? Did you go to the dealer?

·
Registered
245 Posts
@J-Roc I feel your pain. This is amazing that they are having the same issues with 2017 models. It tells me that they do not take customer complaints seriously... I still have the same issue and the car is at 15 000 miles... Toyota so far handled it really bad. I still have an active case with them and we will probably meet with their tech next week. This noise comes from transmission when the car tries to idle. To remove the noise you need to slightly push a gas pedal or put the car in the neutral. I know this is not the solution you are looking for and this is not reasonable for brand new car, but it works as a temp solution.

Now I've read on forums that someone had a luck with Toyota replacing the whole transmission, but after the repair they could here the noise at 75 miles per hour range... We test drove multiple RAV4s the same year and model and the noise was present but it much quieter and not distracting.

Can you post the video of your problem so we can compare? Did you go to the dealer?

Thanks for all your info! I am hoping I can get someone at my dealer to look at it in the next week.
We have just hit the 5000KM/3100Mile mark where our Toyota dealer suggests to bring it in for an overall inspection for "New Vehicles"
I figure this is the perfect time to bring it up. I will start as a regular cust. Approach and see how it goes. Ill have a tech. look at it and see if they admit there's a problem.
I may have one thing going for me, as the salesperson that sold us the RAV is a close friend, there is also a tech. that works at the same dealer who has been a life long family friend.
I will post any updates I get in the next week or so. I will also get a video this weekend.
What's the point of having a new tranny if it's just going to come back?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Here's an update for you guys. Managed to get a couple decent clips of this sound.
I can confirm it's at its highest pitch at 55mph and decreases in pitch (not loudness) to aprox. 45mph and then, gone. Only between these speeds you can hear it and no, I can assure you it is not a wind noise.
Can hear it over the radio and can also hear it faintly on acceleration. Again, only between 45-55.

https://youtu.be/mZ5nsH3Vonw

https://youtu.be/YKwZkyOzM8Y

·
Registered
428 Posts
When you accelerate there is no noise. It only appears when idling from 55-45mph.

I'll post a better video so you can compare before and after.
Could you explain "idle"?? A car cannot idle at 45-55 mph, it will take some amount of throttle which is not idle. Idle is foot off the throttle and no cruise on.
Are you saying 6th gear only? How bout if you for 5th at those speeds? Several details missing here.

Crap forget it....just saw this is an old thread.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Could you explain "idle"?? A car cannot idle at 45-55 mph, it will take some amount of throttle which is not idle. Idle is foot off the throttle and no cruise on.
Are you saying 6th gear only? How bout if you for 5th at those speeds? Several details missing here.

Crap forget it....just saw this is an old thread.

Old thread but brought back to life because Toyota seems to not think it's an issue. Ppl have this issue starting in the 15' and is still happening in my 17'.
When he states "idle" he is meaning "coasting". Like the title states. It only happens between 45-55mph. Doesn't matter what gear you are in. Ive tried both. 5th and 6th. I can also hear mine during acceleration as well. Not just coasting.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts