Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys . As the title says my car will sometimes act as if it has got a dead battery. The car is a manual diesel 2017 Rav4. Clutch pushed in turning the key will do nothing. Just the sound of a clicking noise and the engine wont turn at all. Only the display of the Toyota touch will go black upon turning the key and then it restarts. It can be repeated a second time in a row and the engine finally starts on the third try. Sometimes turning the key off and on will solve the problem.

What could it be? I checked the battery and the connections seem tight enough. Thanks in advance for your replies

Watch the video here

·
Registered
8,530 Posts
You didn't complete your profile so we don't know for certain where you are located, but even so your 2017 RAV diesel should still be under the factory warranty and you should take it to a dealer's service department so that the problem can be taken care of.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Is it possible that you are not giving the glow plugs enough time to warm up? I know that on diesel engines there are times when you turn the key/push the button and the engine doesn't start immediately - a message indicates that the glow plugs must warm up first. Once the glow plugs are warm the engine starts on its own if the ignition hasn't been turned off.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wait until all lights go out before i turn the key so i dont think its that. It did it within a week when i got it. Then it stopped and then last night it did it when going out 5-6 times and then when i would start to return home another 2-3 times.

·
Registered
8,530 Posts
This forum basically is North America - based and there are no diesel RAVs sold here, although we do have some members in Europe, Australia, and elsewhere who do have diesel RAVs. So in general, experience with diesel RAVs on this forum is limited. You might get more help on a Euro- based forum, such as: RAV4 Drivers Club ...

Also as suggested previously, the most efficient and logical solution for that sort of problem with a vehicle which is under warranty is to take it to a main dealer's service department.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts