Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the first hybrid I've owned and the first new (as opposed to used) car I've bought. It only has 209 miles on it (had 18 when I bought it)! So I'm hoping these things are normal... but...

After I drive the car, I notice a strong, sharp, kind of pine-scented (but not in a good way) smell outside the car. (not a sulfur, maple, caramel, rubber, or burning smell. It's hard to describe) It really is quite strong. I smell it faintly sometimes when driving but normally after stopping and getting out. All gauges are normal and I haven't noticed any leaks. Any thoughts as to what this is? It's worrying me.

And the weird noise: I was warned about the middle of the night noise, but there's also a noise right after I stop the car and turn it off. A noise like... bats squeaking under the front of the car. I Googled this and found an answer saying it was normal, but I wouldn't mind a second opinion.

Very happy with the vehicle overall, but that smell is concerning me.

·
Registered
324 Posts
The smell is likely coatings/paints that are heating up for the first time that are burning off. Eventually they go away. You are likely smelling both those and the new plastics in the interior which creates an odd cocktail. Within a few weeks the "new car smells" will dissipate. The R4H has plenty of sounds that the gas only RAV doesn't have, don't be concerned, all normal.

·
Registered
229 Posts
It took me a while to get used to the car, but dont worry. The burnt pine plastic will go away after a while and those noises are normal. I did not stop smelling that smell until I got to over 600 miles after a long trip. Enjoy your car. I've been more than happy with mine.

·
Super Moderator
10,128 Posts
Hey Kyri, you paid for the smells so enjoy them while they last. :wink
And the squeaks are adjustments the car is making to itself to help you get better mileage. All good!

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
The "maple/caramel smell is what antifreeze coolant smells like when it gets hot. Possibly the engine coolant reservoir (if there is one - don't know about the hybrid) has been overfilled and the excess is being blown out of the reservoir. Or, hopefully not, there is a radiator or other leak.

My wife had a Subaru which had that smell from new - took me a couple of months to find the leak - the Subaru techs were useless.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The "maple/caramel smell is what antifreeze coolant smells like when it gets hot. Possibly the engine coolant reservoir (if there is one - don't know about the hybrid) has been overfilled and the excess is being blown out of the reservoir. Or, hopefully not, there is a radiator or other leak.

My wife had a Subaru which had that smell from new - took me a couple of months to find the leak - the Subaru techs were useless.
There are actually 2. One for the ICE and one for the electrical components.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Can't speak to the odor....but you will get some noises after turning engine off. Usually clicking and such. Happens to my 2016 Ltd Hybrid. YOU WILL LOVE THIS CAR!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts