Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a brand new RAV4 Hybrid XLE this past weekend and before I was even able to drive it off the lot, the check engine light came on (everything was fine during the test drive). They looked at the car today and determined that the thermostat associated with the water pump was faulty (registering a few degrees off according to the sales manager).

Couple questions: Has any on else experienced a similar issue with a new RAV4 or any car in general? And ive been reassured that its a minor issue however the overall pump system is obviously vital to the engine. Should I be demanding they replace the car with another one?

Update: The diagnostic code was P26CA31. The computer wasnt getting a signal from the electric water pump.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I bought a brand new RAV4 Hybrid XLE this past weekend and before I was even able to drive it off the lot, the check engine light came on (everything was fine during the test drive). They looked at the car today and determined that the thermostat associated with the water pump was faulty (registering a few degrees off according to the sales manager).

Couple questions: Has any on else experienced a similar issue with a new RAV4 or any car in general? And ive been reassured that its a minor issue however the overall pump system is obviously vital to the engine. Should I be demanding they replace the car with another one?
Personally, I would ask for another vehicle even if it required waiting period. jmo, but an issue within a few hours... Wow ! May be considered minor but would take no chances.

·
Registered
712 Posts
The thermostat on the new engine is electronically controlled (to go along with the electronically controlled water pump). Its pretty innovative. If you really want to you can read about the technology in general here: Toyota engines - Dynamic Force series (R4)

With the thermostat being electronic the ECU would likely detect a fault pretty early. The thermostat is on the outside of the engine and pretty easy to change I presume. So if they swap it and that fixes the problem I wouldn't be worried - it was likely just a dud. Its no doubt made by someone else - like Denso or Hitachi, etc.

You can ask for a different car, assuming they have one - however if this one is already titled to you it is likely more trouble and paperwork than its worth.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The thermostat on the new engine is electronically controlled (to go along with the electronically controlled water pump). Its pretty innovative. If you really want to you can read about the technology in general here: Toyota engines - Dynamic Force series (R4)

With the thermostat being electronic the ECU would likely detect a fault pretty early. The thermostat is on the outside of the engine and pretty easy to change I presume. So if they swap it and that fixes the problem I wouldn't be worried - it was likely just a dud. Its no doubt made by someone else - like Denso or Hitachi, etc.

You can ask for a different car, assuming they have one - however if this one is already titled to you it is likely more trouble and paperwork than its worth.
Thanks! Thats very helpful, although I got new information today saying that the computer was getting no signal from the water pump. So it sounds like they are replacing that water pump? Or maybe just the thermostat (said they were waiting for the right gasket to come in)?
Do you think its a bigger more concerning deal if they are replacing the water pump itself? Seems like it would involve taking apart a decent amount of components.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Thanks! Thats very helpful, although I got new information today saying that the computer was getting no signal from the water pump. So it sounds like they are replacing that water pump? Or maybe just the thermostat (said they were waiting for the right gasket to come in)?
Do you think its a bigger more concerning deal if they are replacing the water pump itself? Seems like it would involve taking apart a decent amount of components.
The water pump is also external, so inherently replacing it also shouldn't be a big deal. I will say that if either let the engine overheat - that is very bad. Aluminum engines don't do well overheating. The only good news is that it sounds like it did not - light came on and it was shut down. The good news / bad news is that if it did overheat you will likely know pretty soon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The water pump is also external, so inherently replacing it also shouldn't be a big deal. I will say that if either let the engine overheat - that is very bad. Aluminum engines don't do well overheating. The only good news is that it sounds like it did not - light came on and it was shut down. The good news / bad news is that if it did overheat you will likely know pretty soon.
Yeah, it had 12 miles on it when i purchased it (half of which was my 10 minute test drive). The light came on but was still able to drive. I told them about it right away. They drove it over to their service center (1 mile or 2 away) and said that it ran 'perfectly fine'. So according to them it wasnt overheating. They also said Toyota opened a 'task case' about it so they could look into to (likely pinpointing the vendor of that compnent, like you mentioned). But still fells like im some sort of guinea pig for a potential recall as this is an issue theyre not familiar with

Either way, I do believe I should be compensated in some way for this as its was a brand new car...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Yeah, it had 12 miles on it when i purchased it (half of which was my 10 minute test drive). The light came on but was still able to drive. I told them about it right away. They drove it over to their service center (1 mile or 2 away) and said that it ran 'perfectly fine'. So according to them it wasnt overheating. They also said Toyota opened a 'task case' about it so they could look into to (likely pinpointing the vendor of that compnent, like you mentioned). But still fells like im some sort of guinea pig for a potential recall as this is an issue theyre not familiar with

Either way, I do believe I should be compensated in some way for this as its was a brand new car...
Demand a better price and extended warranty, or another vehicle. I would go with another vehicle.

If you keep the vehicle, it will always be a concern. 12 miles and a water pump...get another vehicle.

·
Registered
712 Posts
It certainly wouldn't hurt to ask for a new car - if they have one. My guess is if its titled to you already my guess is they won't - but you don't know until you ask.

Then go buy a lottery ticket and hope your luck changes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts