Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a new 2022 Rav4 premium. Noticed on way home car misfired at least 10 different occassions. Some times it would sputter when starting off from a light. Other times while on freeway would bog down for brief second but quick;y recover. I just paid 40k for this car and am scared at what i have seen so far. I dont know how to address the problem with the dealer. At this point I rather get an entirely different car rather than them try to fix the problem. No code was provided as to what the issue may be. Anyone else have similar problems with this year and model

·
Super Moderator
12,451 Posts
Certainly sounds serious, and dangerous. I'd be checking the Lemon laws in your state and documenting every contact with the dealer.

Reactions: crisps

·
Registered
236 Posts
start documenting/copying/scanning/saving -everything-
even makes notes to yourself and save them all....when driving time/date/place it stumbles, burps, or farts... include weather conditions

there must be stored codes seen in an OBD reader/techstream.

take it back to dealer, this thing is covered 110% by Toyota bumper-to-bumper so have them fix it

if the specific problem is not fixed after three good faith attempts (depends on state) it's a lemon

you should get free rental until it is 100% resolved

you are not getting a new car**, you are stuck getting this one fixed.

**unless toyota determines it is unfixable
and they supply a new car.

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 LE
207 Posts
Some times it would sputter when starting off from a light.
Don't be so quick to condemn the car, I'm not convinced you're misfiring. If you were misfiring that bad and that often, you'd get a check engine light. Sputtering off the line, turn off start/stop.
Font Gesture Poster Parallel Design

If that doesn't "fix" it, try switching the transmission from normal mode to sport mode. Same for the bogging down on the freeway, might just be a transmission logic thing. I like my rav4, but that's one of my complaints, the transmission sometimes will act "confused". Going into sport mode makes it drive more like a normal car for me, but I don't like the stiffer bmw style steering.

·
Registered
Toyota RAV4 2021 XLE Blueprint
157 Posts
Don't be so quick to condemn the car, I'm not convinced you're misfiring. If you were misfiring that bad and that often, you'd get a check engine light. Sputtering off the line, turn off start/stop.
View attachment 187026
If that doesn't "fix" it, try switching the transmission from normal mode to sport mode. Same for the bogging down on the freeway, might just be a transmission logic thing. I like my rav4, but that's one of my complaints, the transmission sometimes will act "confused". Going into sport mode makes it drive more like a normal car for me, but I don't like the stiffer bmw style steering.
I was thinking the same thing upon reading this thread. Seems like you have Auto Start/Stop on. This sounds nothing like a misfire

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
The start/stop feature should not be occurring at freeway speeds causing the engine to bog down momentarily.

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 LE
207 Posts
Well, yeah. I'm not good with words, I didn't mean to make it look that way.
What I meant was, I think the bogging down on the highway could just be something very simple and normal like a transmission logic thing, the TCU learning, the car learning throttle response. Hard to say for sure without knowing exactly what is happening when the problem occurs. Are you cruising and maintaining the exact same speed, with no changes to how far down you're pressing the gas pedal? Or does it bog and hesitate before merging or passing?

·
Registered
2021 Rav 4 XLE gas engine
1,846 Posts
Bought a new 2022 Rav4 premium. Noticed on way home car misfired at least 10 different occassions. Some times it would sputter when starting off from a light. Other times while on freeway would bog down for brief second but quick;y recover.
It sounds to me like a very simple problem and easily rectified! You got a bad tank of gas from the dealership that has some water in it. Once you run that gas through and refill it from a Top Tier station I would bet your problem goes away.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
With all the recent rain and flooding around the US I imagine there are quite a few gas stations that have underground tanks with more than the normal and allowable levels of water contamination and on this forum we may hear more of these kinds of complaints. The classic symptoms of excess moisture in gasoline are exactly as the OP describes--erratic sputtering, misfiring, bogging, loss of power, occasional hard starting. Cars will run with water in the gas (though badly) until the proportion of water becomes too much for even the sophisticated Toyota ECU and sensors to handle. There were probably no engine trouble lights and may even be no DTC codes because the OPs RAV was not malfunctioning--the proportion of water contamination in OPs gas was probably so slight that the misfiring was too transient and thus no codes registered. This is not an unusual occurrence. Water in gas has caused these same symptoms since the days when cars had carburetors and distributors. I have had it happen before in other cars than my RAV--usually after buying gas at sketchy, hole in the wall stations with corroded tanks that sucked in some underground water. The classic repair people used to do was to dump in some "white gas" to try to get the car to run better until they had used up the contaminated tank and could refill with good, clean gas. Most people are now aware that the ethanol in gasoline will attract any moisture in the tank and make the whole situation worse--ethanol in contact with water can turn into a film or jelly and clog injectors, fuel lines, carburetor jets etc.

·
Registered
2020 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid XLE
83 Posts
Don’t go chasing fuel and ignition gremlins until you’ve eliminated the two most likely causes: the auto start stop and the general hesitancy of the 8 speed transmission. Your description is consistent with both of those issues

Maybe post a video of what you’re describing. That might help.

note: I don’t have the gas model but I drove a rental Corolla cross with the 8 speed and the auto start stop.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Don’t go chasing fuel and ignition gremlins until you’ve eliminated the two most likely causes: the auto start stop and the general hesitancy of the 8 speed transmission. Your description is consistent with both of those issues
No-- the OPs misfire at stop lights and freeway bogging are not consistent with auto stop/start and the alleged 8 speed "hesitancy". The auto stop/start would in no way account for bogging when going at freeway speeds. The 8 speed auto trans does not cause the RAV to "hesitate" when starting in first gear from a standing start at lights. Look, here is a guy with a brand new RAV driving home for the first time from the dealer. Many dealerships will top up the tank for a new customer taking his new car home. ALL the OPs unfortunate symptoms on his drive home are consistent with one source--contaminated fuel. When the "beads" of water contaminating his gas go through the injectors into the engine they cause momentary sputtering and misfires . Then milliseconds later when pure gas goes into the combustion chamber -voila!- no misfire. On the freeway probably the engine took in a larger gulp of water and this caused the bog. There is just no practical way for the OP to dump that bad water contaminated load of fuel so he can quickly replace it with new, good gas and test his RAV. He is going to have to drive the RAV until he uses up most of that bad tank and refill it. Probably by the time he makes an appointment to take his RAV back to the dealer to check out this issue he will already have done so and then the car will be running great and the dealer will think the OP is nuts. The OP will then be told the proverbial "they all do that" Toyota dealers love to say.

·
Registered
2020 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid XLE
83 Posts
No-- the OPs misfire at stop lights and freeway bogging are not consistent with auto stop/start and the alleged 8 speed "hesitancy". The auto stop/start would in no way account for bogging when going at freeway speeds. The 8 speed auto trans does not cause the RAV to "hesitate" when starting in first gear from a standing start at lights. Look, here is a guy with a brand new RAV driving home for the first time from the dealer. Many dealerships will top up the tank for a new customer taking his new car home. ALL the OPs unfortunate symptoms on his drive home are consistent with one source--contaminated fuel. When the "beads" of water contaminating his gas go through the injectors into the engine they cause momentary sputtering and misfires . Then milliseconds later when pure gas goes into the combustion chamber -voila!- no misfire. On the freeway probably the engine took in a larger gulp of water and this caused the bog. There is just no practical way for the OP to dump that bad water contaminated load of fuel so he can quickly replace it with new, good gas and test his RAV. He is going to have to drive the RAV until he uses up most of that bad tank and refill it. Probably by the time he makes an appointment to take his RAV back to the dealer to check out this issue he will already have done so and then the car will be running great and the dealer will think the OP is nuts. The OP will then be told the proverbial "they all do that" Toyota dealers love to say.
I agree with you that the symptoms are consistent with that. I'm just saying be methodical about diagnosing it. It would take 5 minutes to try sport mode with the auto stop-start off. If that changes nothing then yeah, use up the fuel and see if fresh fuel works.

I totally agree that taking it to the dealer runs the risk of them saying "they all do that." Dealers are notoriously useless at diagnosing anything non-obvious.

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 LE
207 Posts
No-- the OPs misfire at stop lights and freeway bogging are not consistent with auto stop/start.

The 8 speed auto trans does not cause the RAV to "hesitate" when starting in first gear from a standing start at lights.
I completely disagree on both accounts. If you're not used to how jarring the start/stop feature is on our toyotas, it can 1000% feel like a misfire.
With regard to the auto trans hesitating, I've experienced this numerous times with my rav4, it certainly does happen.

What are the chances of a brand spankin new rav4 misfiring like crazy? Pretty slim.
The chances of water in the station tanks reaching cars? Pretty slim as well (disclaimer, yes, it is possible, anything is). Gas stations these days have numerous things in place these day to stop that from happening. Filters like in the link below, and systems which monitor the tanks (gas level, water level), and alarms if too much water is present. The tank designed so that the pick up line for the pumps is elevated , and not at the bottom of the tank where the water would be.
filters at the pump that catch particles and water

We have to look at the simplest explanations first. The OP is new to their car, and they're likely not used to the way it drives, and the start stop feature.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I completely disagree on both accounts. If you're not used to how jarring the start/stop feature is on our toyotas, it can 1000% feel like a misfire.
With regard to the auto trans hesitating, I've experienced this numerous times with my rav4, it certainly does happen.

What are the chances of a brand spankin new rav4 misfiring like crazy? Pretty slim.
The chances of water in the station tanks reaching cars? Pretty slim as well (disclaimer, yes, it is possible, anything is). Gas stations these days have numerous things in place these day to stop that from happening. Filters like in the link below, and systems which monitor the tanks (gas level, water level), and alarms if too much water is present. The tank designed so that the pick up line for the pumps is elevated , and not at the bottom of the tank where the water would be.

We have to look at the simplest explanations first. The OP is new to their car, and they're likely not used to the way it drives, and the start stop feature.
Yeah, all forums for any make of vehicle has "bad gas" claims weekly.
OP hasn't returned -only way to prove it is bad gas is to prove the symtoms are repeatable and consistent -drain the fuel to start fresh and prove it runs like a new vehicle shoud.

While I never say "it can't be the gas", I do always say how unlikely it is.
Like on the truck forums carrying 30 gallons of gas -how likely is it that you have so much water that 30 gallons of fuel couldn't dilute it enough to run about normally, and how do you at home rid 30 gallons of gas! You don't, you take it to a shop with 30 gallons of containers.

It is possible the dealership would drain the fuel on this new car, however OP hasn't been back to tell us if it is a problem still on day 2, and more.

·
Super Moderator
12,451 Posts
We could keep sharing opinions but since the OP hasn't responded or even been on the forum in two days we really don't know much.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I agree the auto stop/start can feel like a misfire-- when I forget to turn the darn thing off at start up it quickly reminds me! But the problem with the auto stop/start as the diagnosis for the OPs issue is that it simply does NOT account for the bogging he experienced driving steady state on the freeway--the auto stop/start does not function in such driving because you are not stopping but cruising.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I want to recount a personal experience within the last 10 years. My last car before the RAV4 was a Jeep Liberty that ran flawlessly. I regularly filled up at the local Arco. One day, immediately after a fill up the Jeep stalled out at the first traffic light. It restarted but continued to stall out and occasionally misfired for the remaining two weeks it took to use up that tank of gas. When I next drove to the Arco it was closed and police tape was festooned over the driveways and pumps. I later read in the local paper that hundreds of people had the same issue with their cars after filling at that station and state inspectors found the underground tanks were leaking and the gas was contaminated with groundwater. That Arco was closed for a couple of months while the tanks were dug up and replaced. My point is simply that water contamination of gas does occur and is not uncommon despite all the filters and safety features at gas stations.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts