Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

New 2022 misfiring Right off the Lot

1383 28
Bought a new 2022 Rav4 premium. Noticed on way home car misfired at least 10 different occassions. Some times it would sputter when starting off from a light. Other times while on freeway would bog down for brief second but quick;y recover. I just paid 40k for this car and am scared at what i have seen so far. I dont know how to address the problem with the dealer. At this point I rather get an entirely different car rather than them try to fix the problem. No code was provided as to what the issue may be. Anyone else have similar problems with this year and model
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,472 Posts
Agreed. The user name "help me" may have been our first clue.

Reactions: hotracer_05

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think I know what the bogging down situation he experienced on the highway as it happened to me last night. I had cruise control on going 77 mph and came up on an 18 wheeler and other cars beside me not allowing me to get over yet and of course the safety feature slowed my car down to keep from hitting the 18 wheeler to about 58 mph. Felt like it bogged down and then when I was able to move over, she accelerated as she should and shot me back up to 77 mph. This is not the first experience for me, but it reminded me of this thread. The first time I experienced it, I thought something was wrong with my car till I did research to find that it is a safety feature.

·
Super Moderator
12,472 Posts
Guess we'll never know since the OP is apparently one&done but the adaptive cruise may very well have a lot to do with the "bogging down" he mentioned. Similar thing happened to me when I drove my new '18 Accord home. I thought something was wrong when it started slowing down in the interstate but I quickly figured out the default following distance was set to max. Especially if he is an aggressive driver, tailgater or impatient the car would feel like it didn't want to go.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I think I know what the bogging down situation he experienced on the highway as it happened to me last night. I had cruise control on going 77 mph and came up on an 18 wheeler and other cars beside me not allowing me to get over yet and of course the safety feature slowed my car down to keep from hitting the 18 wheeler to about 58 mph. Felt like it bogged down and then when I was able to move over, she accelerated as she should and shot me back up to 77 mph. This is not the first experience for me, but it reminded me of this thread. The first time I experienced it, I thought something was wrong with my car till I did research to find that it is a safety feature.
I don't see anything in your post about bogging down.
Unless you're trying to explain that perhaps the OP of this thread doesn't know the difference between the behavior of Radar Cruse and a misfire.
Your car worked exactly is it is supposed to and should not be classified as "bogging down". Your car 'slowed down' (on purpose).

·
Registered
21 Posts
I don't see anything in your post about bogging down.
Unless you're trying to explain that perhaps the OP of this thread doesn't know the difference between the behavior of Radar Cruse and a misfire.
Your car worked exactly is it is supposed to and should not be classified as "bogging down". Your car 'slowed down' (on purpose).
Yes, I was trying to explain that the OP didn't/doesn't know the difference. I know my car worked as it should. But to someone who doesn't, it may give the impression it is bogging down. Especially when you are cruising at 70 mph and then all of a sudden you are kicked down to below 60.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Yes, I was trying to explain that the OP didn't/doesn't know the difference. I know my car worked as it should. But to someone who doesn't, it may give the impression it is bogging down. Especially when you are cruising at 70 mph and then all of a sudden you are kicked down to below 60.
That has to be it! OP hasn't returned due to embarrassment. hahaha

·
Registered
2021 Rav 4 XLE gas engine
1,848 Posts
I know OP has not returned to this thread but the issues herein are pretty interesting so I will add some recent thoughts. The random misfire from standing starts accompanied by random occasional freeway, steady state cruising bogging might also be symptoms of a defective crankshaft position sensor. This sends the signal to the ECU when to fire the coils on the spark plugs. If it is intermittently screwing up it would cause these issues. If it was totally broken it would result in a no start condition most likely (but some cars are allowed to start in "Limp Home Mode" with a failed Crank PS if the camshaft position sensor or other sensors can still send a TDC signal to the ECU). Even on a brand new RAV4, mass produced components like crankshaft position sensors can be defective since millions are made and no manufacturer can guarantee they are 100% good--there will always be a few lemons.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts