Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really curious about the "Lock" feature of the 06's new 4WD system. I did not even consider the Honda CR-V because that system turned on/off at its own whim and I do not believe there is any "lock" facility on that. So while I like my 96's full time 4wd, I would be open to this system AS LONG AS: I can press the Lock button whenever I want, which would be during heavy rain or light snow. Specifically my question is, does the Lock button pressed still allow me to drive on dry pavement? I had an old Suzuki Sidekick many decades ago, and they warned you not to drive on dry pavement when the 4WD was engaged, it was only for use in snow or off-road at slow speeds. I want to be sure the new RAV system is not like this and can be turned on at will, when the driver feels it necessary, and continue to drive on dry roads at highway speeds.

PS Personally I would leave it un-locked unless I felt the road conditions were deteriorating, so please do not tell me how I should not leave it Locked all the time, I wont. I just want to know how it's gonna work. thanks

·
Registered
122 Posts
It's not recommended to lock the certer diff on dry pavement (or other high grip surfaces). That will stress the drivetrain and can cause prematured wear.

The lock button lock the center diff and your RAV4 becomes exactly as your old Samurai on 4WD High.

·
Registered
242 Posts
4wd

The Tucson has a button on the steering wheel that makes front and rear 50-50..Pretty cool HUH :?: I think 2006 :lol:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply. Actually I was hoping for the opposite answer, that the 4WD Lock button did not Lock the differential into a mode where it should not be driven on dry pavement. I say this because the new "Electronic 4WD" system I would have hoped was different from the decade-only mechanical 4WD system which physically locked the wheels in sync with eachother via the differential. I was hoping the "electronic" version was smart. Also it says the car starts out in 4WD mode (55/45 split) so I would have thought that was acceptable for dry pavement as well. Anybody else have similar or contradictory information to what we have here so far? thx.

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
jabba2000 said:
Anybody else have similar or contradictory information to what we have here so far? thx.
Have you read pages 6-7 of this PDF file?
http://rav4world.com/2006_rav4_frankfurt.pdf

It explains the 2006 4WD system... though it's still not real clear about whether you can run on dry pavement with the diff lock button engaged.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
you can. But it automatically turns off after 25 mph. With the button in you cannot detect its locked. Its basically for getting out of a stuck situation . Press it and get out and it unlocks once you start moving. Theres not way to perminatly lock in 4wd like our XL7

Frank

·
Registered
129 Posts
flyingn said:
you can. But it automatically turns off after 25 mph. With the button in you cannot detect its locked. Its basically for getting out of a stuck situation . Press it and get out and it unlocks once you start moving. Theres not way to perminatly lock in 2wd like our XL7

Frank
LOCK button, will disable VSC+ and TRC system, also it will lock tyres to run 55/45, I think it is more than old 4.3 viscosity system. Car turns ok when it is on and I was running car 40kmh and it was on. I also stopped car in hill about 35 degree on ice, car had studded tyres when lock was off it climed hill slowly, but when lock was on it was like you drive car in even level.

·
Registered
420 Posts
joel said:
The lock button lock the center diff and your RAV4 becomes exactly as your old Samurai on 4WD High.
This assumes that the rear diff locks as well, which isn't the case as far as I can tell. I do not even know if I get Torsen on mine, actually. Trying to find out.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
something the 06 Rav has that th eold ones do not is tractin control. Its basically a limited slip front and rear diff. When a tire starts to slip, th ebrake is applied to that wheel causing the torque to be transfered to the other tire,, the one with the most traction. So basically we have 'electronic limited slip' for lack of a better term

1 - 10 of 10 Posts