Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

261 - 280 of 338 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #261
Also, has anyone found a solution to automatically adjust the screen brightness based on sun, or some other condition? I've tried Tasker & Autobrite, neither one seem to be able to control the screen back light. Has anyone had any success with any other apps?
The Twilight app both dims and optionally tints.
Twilight gradually adjusts the screen brightness within a configurable range as the sun rises and sets based on GPS position. All-In-One Toolbox launches such apps automatically when the head unit boots (as long as they are not moved to the SD Card) and offers many handy tools that optimize storage, memory and CPU, manage files, etc. I am very impressed with both, which are free and well worth a try!

·
Registered
20 Posts
My backlit buttons are on all the time when my headlights are on. Also when I turn the car on (with headlights on) the backlit buttons stay on for about 1 minute before turning off. So to turn off backlit button right away I must turn the headlights off first, then turn the car off.

Also, the screen lights up when I have the headlights off and they dim down when I have the headlights on. I can change this from the main settings.

The only thing with the backlit buttons for me is that I cannot change to the amber color. When I select it from the menu it show green color, all other colors are fine.

I have a Joying Unit for 2007 Rav4 V6 limited.

PS, it would help if people wrote what kind of unit they have somewhere in their description to make it easier to follow.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys, haven't been on here in a bit, but wanted to throw a few questions out there...

I believe I've got my illumination wired up wrong, would someone mind sharing a picture, or a description of how they have the HU illumination wired up? My button back-lit is just on, all the time, when ACC is on, I'd like to fix that.

Also, has anyone found a solution to automatically adjust the screen brightness based on sun, or some other condition? I've tried Tasker & Autobrite, neither one seem to be able to control the screen back light. Has anyone had any success with any other apps?

Lastly, what are people using for backup cameras? I'd like to get that wired up, now that I've got some free-time.

I entirely agree with @bjmsam the 2017-06-09 firmware update works flawlessly, and I haven't bothered with subsequent updates.

I've also added a USB 3G/4G modem, with external antenna, so now the head unit has it's own internet access, 100% of the time (when there's service); if anyone would like details on that, let me know. I may throw some instructions up on my wiki if there's interest.

Cheers
I'd be interested in learning more about your USB modem setup.

·
Registered
36 Posts
@jfuggy I purchased a Huawei UMG366 USB modem from Amazon, as well as an external antenna from Antenna Gear. Service is through Ting, and runs less than $20/mo (pay-as-you-go). Basically the modem plugs into a USB hub, which is connected to the head unit. Antenna is connected to the modem, and routed through the RAV4 to the roof, with a magnetic antenna (none of which is visible after installation, except the antenna on the roof).

The 2017-06-09 firmware has the ability to use the modem for cellular internet access, i believe it's in settings, network, cellular. I'll have to look at the modem config in the next few days, but it was pretty basic. The firmware also has the ability create a wifi access point, or hotspot using the cellular connection.

When the RAV4 is started, the head unit starts up, once loaded, a cellular connection is made. From off to internet connected is about 35 seconds or so, this would be much faster if the tablet was in standby mode (which I'm currently not using). The connection is plenty fast for Waze, Pandora and the occasional YouTube. Also service has been extremely reliable thanks the the external antenna. I get 3G/4G speeds pretty much everywhere in the city. Ting has also been wonderful, once the account is setup, it's entirely managed from an app on my phone. Even has the ability to set bandwidth limits to avoid a pricy bill (which I've never had). It piggy backs off the T-Mobile network, fwiw.

I'll write up a more complete how-to in the next few days, with links to the actual products i'm using, should make the setup a lot easier.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions..

·
Registered
3 Posts
@jfuggy I purchased a Huawei UMG366 USB modem from Amazon, as well as an external antenna from Antenna Gear. Service is through Ting, and runs less than $20/mo (pay-as-you-go). Basically the modem plugs into a USB hub, which is connected to the head unit. Antenna is connected to the modem, and routed through the RAV4 to the roof, with a magnetic antenna (none of which is visible after installation, except the antenna on the roof).

The 2017-06-09 firmware has the ability to use the modem for cellular internet access, i believe it's in settings, network, cellular. I'll have to look at the modem config in the next few days, but it was pretty basic. The firmware also has the ability create a wifi access point, or hotspot using the cellular connection.

When the RAV4 is started, the head unit starts up, once loaded, a cellular connection is made. From off to internet connected is about 35 seconds or so, this would be much faster if the tablet was in standby mode (which I'm currently not using). The connection is plenty fast for Waze, Pandora and the occasional YouTube. Also service has been extremely reliable thanks the the external antenna. I get 3G/4G speeds pretty much everywhere in the city. Ting has also been wonderful, once the account is setup, it's entirely managed from an app on my phone. Even has the ability to set bandwidth limits to avoid a pricy bill (which I've never had). It piggy backs off the T-Mobile network, fwiw.

I'll write up a more complete how-to in the next few days, with links to the actual products i'm using, should make the setup a lot easier.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions..
Awesome thanks for the info! I think I might give this setup a try. I had to remove the www from the links because my account is too new to post links...

aliexpress.com/item/Android-6-0-Car-Multimedia-Player-Stereo-For-TOYOTA-RAV4-DVD-Bluetooth-Radio-Audio-Mirrorlink-Capacitive/32756399750.html
aliexpress.com/item/Unlocked-Huawei-E3372-E3372h-607-plus-Antenna-4G-LTE-150Mbps-USB-Modem-4G-LTE-USB-Dongle/32804650316.html
aliexpress.com/item/CCD-Rear-Camera-Rearview-Camera-For-Toyota-RAV4-2006-2007-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012/32806389235.html

·
Registered
36 Posts
Awesome thanks for the info! I think I might give this setup a try. I had to remove the www from the links because my account is too new to post links...

aliexpress.com/item/Android-6-0-Car-Multimedia-Player-Stereo-For-TOYOTA-RAV4-DVD-Bluetooth-Radio-Audio-Mirrorlink-Capacitive/32756399750.html
aliexpress.com/item/Unlocked-Huawei-E3372-E3372h-607-plus-Antenna-4G-LTE-150Mbps-USB-Modem-4G-LTE-USB-Dongle/32804650316.html
aliexpress.com/item/CCD-Rear-Camera-Rearview-Camera-For-Toyota-RAV4-2006-2007-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012/32806389235.html
As far as the modem is concerned, you need to make sure it's capable of working where you live. This is why I went with the UMG366, since it's technically supported on the t-mobile network in the US. So I was able to use a ting sim, and it worked out of the box. This took quite a bit of research on my part. In a nutshell, if it's supported by t-mobile, it's supported by Ting. Unless you're planning on going with another carrier, in which case, make damn sure the modem will work on their network; just because it says 4G, and your carrier supports 4G doesn't mean it'll work. Look it up, see if anyone else is running the modem you're looking at buying, on the carrier you're thinking about using. Goodluck!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hey guys, I noticed Joying sells a CANBUS harness for Toyota Prado(Land Cruiser)... is this not the same JBL connector we all need for the dreaded JBL systems??

https://www.carjoying.com/joying-harness/toyota-harness/joyingr-aftermarket-oem-premium-factory-car-audio-stereo-radio-wire-harness-cable-adapter-with-canbus-for-toyota-prado.html

if so, we'd be set with a Joying unit... attached is a picture I found of the JBL connector on our RAV4 JBL units (and pretty much any other Toyota JBL unit)

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got a big Problem, did factory reset. And now there is no Bluetooth. Not in settings, shortcut . It´s like someone put the BT Stick out of the Headunit.
My problem was, that the HU starts in a screen with Select System to update. Before this the HU starts directly in music. The seller wrote me do a factory reset in settings. I did and now I have no Bluetooth.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I brought a similar head unit. Does anyone know where can I find a guide on how to connect the cable?

Is there any risks involved when connecting the cable, anything that I have to watch out for.

Here is the head unit I brought (it's from hizpo from ebay):
2006-2012-TOYOTA-RAV4-Car-DVD-Player-GPS-Navigator-Radio-Camera-Android-6-0-OS

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hello, I brought a similar head unit. Does anyone know where can I find a guide on how to connect the cable?

Is there any risks involved when connecting the cable, anything that I have to watch out for.

Here is the head unit I brought (it's from hizpo from ebay):
2006-2012-TOYOTA-RAV4-Car-DVD-Player-GPS-Navigator-Radio-Camera-Android-6-0-OS
is this the one???

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-2012-TOYOTA-RAV4-Car-DVD-Player-GPS-Navigator-Radio-Camera-Android-5-1-OS-/252444112958

Judging by the harness picture, should be plug and play, no cutting required... the only issue will be trying to route the backup camera from the back to the dash... if you bought one.

Let us know how this one works out, seems like this unit looks well put together, but who knows what the quality is until you get it and install it.

ALSO
This Seller offers a JBL Harness at extra cost for those with JBL units in their RAV4.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01GKM6BQI

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys.

Sorry for reviving an old thread

But i just installed a Bonroad head unit with the DVD and "SD CRAD" lol

Question

When I was pulling out my connectors of my EXISTING head unit, it had three connectors on it.

However the new Bonroad head unit only had two adaptors for two of the three connectors. I had no idea where the third connector was suppose to connect to.

It has 12 pins on it....

Anyways i plugged what I could in and installed it, seems to work okay..

What was the third connector for anyways???

Anyone know?

Thanks

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just read entire thread. Hoping someone can give a suggestion for me. I have a 2012 (which I hear has slightly different connectors) non JBL RAV4. Would love to have a backup camera for it. Doesn't need to be an "android unit", which I understand is what this specific thread is for. Doesn't even need to be touchscreen. Just need it to work!

Things it must have - Bluetooth (to talk with iphone), CD (though DVD would be sweet), doesn't take forever to boot up, rear view camera (the reason I'm doing it), and still work with steering wheel controls. Bonus if it would work with the AUX input and USB plug I have down by the parking break. It would have to have some type of AUX input for my standalone Sirius radio. Would like to purchase from Amazon if possible. Any suggestions on one of these units that will just "work" for me?

Thanks!

·
Registered
899 Posts
Just read entire thread. Hoping someone can give a suggestion for me. I have a 2012 (which I hear has slightly different connectors) non JBL RAV4. Would love to have a backup camera for it. Doesn't need to be an "android unit", which I understand is what this specific thread is for. Doesn't even need to be touchscreen. Just need it to work!

Things it must have - Bluetooth (to talk with iphone), CD (though DVD would be sweet), doesn't take forever to boot up, rear view camera (the reason I'm doing it), and still work with steering wheel controls. Bonus if it would work with the AUX input and USB plug I have down by the parking break. It would have to have some type of AUX input for my standalone Sirius radio. Would like to purchase from Amazon if possible. Any suggestions on one of these units that will just "work" for me?

Thanks!
Go to Crutchfield and decide how much you want to spend LOL. You can get most if not all that you want there.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Go to Crutchfield and decide how much you want to spend LOL. You can get most if not all that you want there.

I have. I actually like the more OEM look of the cheaper Chinese manufactured ones. Just looking for one that will work well for what I'm looking for, specifically one that will work with the wiring of a 2012.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I have. I actually like the more OEM look of the cheaper Chinese manufactured ones. Just looking for one that will work well for what I'm looking for, specifically one that will work with the wiring of a 2012.
Fits 2012. I had a similar one made by joying. The Bluetooth wasn't great, but it worked.

Android 7.1 Car GPS UNIT Radio DVD Player for Toyota RAV4 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 Touch Screen GPS iPod DVD Navigation Radio Bluetooth Hands free https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078WRTJLX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_xmKnBb2DREYDY

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thanks! Also, I know these things can take 20-25 seconds or so to boot up - does that mean I start the car, put it in reverse, and still have to wait that long before I can see what the backup camera sees?

·
Registered
899 Posts
The one I had in my 2010 would fire up in 2-3 seconds. Never any issues with that. I currently have a universal android unit in my 2016 and it does the same. If you get one and it takes that long to start then return it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
261 - 280 of 338 Posts