Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

281 - 300 of 338 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Is it possible for the head unit to provide power to the antenna without an adapter cable? I reached out to seller to see if an adapter cable was included, and they told me it wasn't necessary. I'd hate to have bad radio reception after installing one.

Tom
The radio should come with a blue wire labeled (amp). Use that wire to power antenna wire. That's what I did.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I give up on Bonroad

I give up on this head unit and will buy another, different unit. If you are interested you can have it if you pay for Shipping. If if you feel charitable an extra $20. :)

It is set up for JBL PAC TATO. Also I do not recommend buying from the original vendor mentioned in the early posts. Having an Android HU is a great thing, just not this one or any from Bonroad for me. Starting with the original lie that the HU supported JBL and various other misadventures. PM me if interested.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I give up on this head unit and will buy another, different unit. If you are interested you can have it if you pay for Shipping. Ir if you feel charitable an extra $20. :)

It is set up for JBL PAC TATO. Also I do not recommend buying from the original vendor mentioned in the early posts. Having an Android HU is a great thing, just not this one or any from Bonroad for me. Starting with the original lie that the HU supported JBL and various other misadventures. PM me if interested.
I've heard of others getting lied to by bonroad and the radios not having the specs they paid for. I've purchased units from carjoying and pumpkin. I've been pleased with both and only buy off Amazon.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've heard of others getting lied to by bonroad and the radios not having the specs they paid for. I've purchased units from carjoying and pumpkin. I've been pleased with both and only buy off Amazon.
Thanks! I could not find either on Amazon. I only see HZIPO, NFS, and Effort. I think these names come and go. Android 7.1 is cheaper 8.0 is almost $400. I wish I could find reviews on the 7.1s And I see China is offering a PAC TATO alternative. I will stick with the PAC. I don't care which OS and I doubt Android 8 has much more to offer than 7. The windows ones are the cheapest but I doubt as flexible.

Anyone have one of the 7.1s??

·
Registered
49 Posts
fyi, i have had an EONON in my old 2007 Camry and loved it, running 5.1.1 but only had the quad core and 1Gb of ram which given all the google services , killed performance.
I ran a custom rom from android forums and at one point i was running "MicroG" a lightweight alternative to GoogleServices, other times i ran GoogleServices but had to disable them when i wasnt updating apps or anything as it would lag so bad.

On my Rav4 i bought recently a HIZPO running 8.0 an Octa-Core with 4Gb of ram the the thing flys.
I did have the issue as stated above with the power antenna wiring loop being (in my opinion) stupid, running the power antenna wire on a separate plug that you needed to patch in to the OTHER loom still coming from the stereo, i dont know why they didn't do like on my Camry and just use the same plug, but oh well, its all working now and i love it.

Bare in mind, mine is not the JBL system, so there are no 'other' amplifiers or complications.
The speakers arent as good in the 2010 Cruiser Rav4 as my 2007 Camry Sportivo (SE) , but that can be fixed with speaker upgrades im guessing...
Another thing (a bit off note) in the differences, the Camry def. felt like more of a premium build in terms of road noise, sound proofing than the Rav4, but i still love it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
fyi, i have had an EONON in my old 2007 Camry and loved it, running 5.1.1 but only had the quad core and 1Gb of ram which given all the google services , killed performance.
I ran a custom rom from android forums and at one point i was running "MicroG" a lightweight alternative to GoogleServices, other times i ran GoogleServices but had to disable them when i wasnt updating apps or anything as it would lag so bad.

On my Rav4 i bought recently a HIZPO running 8.0 an Octa-Core with 4Gb of ram the the thing flys.
I did have the issue as stated above with the power antenna wiring loop being (in my opinion) stupid, running the power antenna wire on a separate plug that you needed to patch in to the OTHER loom still coming from the stereo, i dont know why they didn't do like on my Camry and just use the same plug, but oh well, its all working now and i love it.

Bare in mind, mine is not the JBL system, so there are no 'other' amplifiers or complications.
The speakers arent as good in the 2010 Cruiser Rav4 as my 2007 Camry Sportivo (SE) , but that can be fixed with speaker upgrades im guessing...
Another thing (a bit off note) in the differences, the Camry def. felt like more of a premium build in terms of road noise, sound proofing than the Rav4, but i still love it.
4G RAM A8.0 HIZPO? Where did you find that? All I see is 2G. The JBL hookup is pretty easy once you get the PAC TATO

·
Registered
3 Posts

I'm interested in getting the HIZPO unit for my Rav4. Could you tell me the MCU version of the HIZPO unit? If it is MTCD or MTCE, a custom ROM can be installed according to XDA forums.

·
Registered
56 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Replying to me. Found that on Ebay.....

Bought an Android:8 4G HIZPO rav4 on Aliexpress for $250. Here I go again.......

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hizpo-NEW-PX5-Android-8-0-car-dvd-player-for-Toyota-RAV4-Rav-4-2007/32872025754.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.244a4c4dN2Rnx0
Thats the same one i got.
I put a custom Malaysk 8.0 Rom on it from the android forums.
Its funny how the PHONE is actually PHOHE , i was dissapointed there was no dedicated HOME \ BACK buttons, but i simply remapped the Eject and DVD buttons to be home and back.

I also got one of those number plate light cameras off ebay, its a nice RAV4 specific unit, clipped in nicely, however as we all know, its off centered because of the spare wheel, but to add to that, that light is actually pointing at an angle so i only really use the backup camera as a guide, not like in my Camry, i would use that thing to park up totally, it was awesome.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Well now HIZPO wants more $$ as the unit I ordered was "out of stock". I guess sending more $$ pays for them getting more in stock. Canceled the order. Sigh.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Tried to cancel the order and asked HIZPO to refund my PayPal. But then they changed their mind. It's on its way. for the price + shipping in the listing, $250. I will review it once I get it working. It HAS to be better than the Bonroad. What might of happened is Bonroad sent me a bad version of the OS and then stopped replying to my additional cries for help. Maybe not a bad unit but poor support.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Tried to cancel the order and asked HIZPO to refund my PayPal. But then they changed their mind. It's on its way. for the price + shipping in the listing, $250. I will review it once I get it working. It HAS to be better than the Bonroad. What might of happened is Bonroad sent me a bad version of the OS and then stopped replying to my additional cries for help. Maybe not a bad unit but poor support.
Oh hopefully it’s all good.
I’ve had a fair bit of experiamce with these type of head units, and putting custom Roms on them figuring out weird little bugs etc. so update us when you get it and if you are interested in putting other roms on we can work it through.

I got bitten pretty hard with my Camry one and Android guys in general aren’t the best at documentation and kinda expect you to just know everything... I did a few picture guides over at the XDA forums when I was restoring from a bricked unit when I had my 07 Camry that came out pretty well... Android 8 tho was a whole new S.Storm ... I wasted an entire weekend and even removed it and had it setup next to my computer using an old power supply and alligator clips to power it because I was sick of walking inside outside to try new things...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Oh hopefully it’s all good.
I’ve had a fair bit of experiamce with these type of head units, and putting custom Roms on them figuring out weird little bugs etc. so update us when you get it and if you are interested in putting other roms on we can work it through.

I got bitten pretty hard with my Camry one and Android guys in general aren’t the best at documentation and kinda expect you to just know everything... I did a few picture guides over at the XDA forums when I was restoring from a bricked unit when I had my 07 Camry that came out pretty well... Android 8 tho was a whole new S.Storm ... I wasted an entire weekend and even removed it and had it setup next to my computer using an old power supply and alligator clips to power it because I was sick of walking inside outside to try new things...
I hack C# and VB.Net for a living so that sounds cool. So you have updated your Andriod 8 ROM? What does it change? I wonder if another Android 6.0 ROM would improve my Bonroad? It couldn't get worse. Then I could give it to my son-in-law as he hated the 3 Gen Rav HU. Who can blame him?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yea, i put this "Malaysk" Rom on my camry originally, 5.1.1 and it was just more updated than the stock EONON rom.
Also, i had some bugs with the factory EONON (plus it wasnt Rooted etc.) and when i asked them for an updated ROM they gave me one that essentially bricked my device.
They were really poor at giving me intstuctions on how to restore, so i had to spend a weekend reading and trying stuff from the XDA\MTCD forums and the key was the combination of buttons to press to enter recovery mode.
I wrote a guide on it https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=71986964
But take that with a grain of salt, as that was specific to that verison of android and that particular model of head unit (similar would apply tho)
I also used to have to use a 3rd party tool to get the steering wheel controls to pass through to lower level apps (i use JetAudio with a USB SSD plugged in with my entire library, really cool, has all the album art and stuff, almost like iTunes). there was this app called MTCD_Tools , but since getting the RAV4 and using Android 8.0 i find i dont need to use that anymore, maybe Android 8.0 figured out how to pass universal skip\previous to lower level (non system) apps.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/android-auto/mtcd-android-head-units-general/howto-beginners-guide-to-setting-t3595793

For Android 8.0, im using this ROM https://forum.xda-developers.com/android-auto/mtcd-software-development/rom-malaysk-roms-px5-2-4-gb-8-0-android-t3762724

The update procedure is listed there, but what caught me out was, i had 2x SD cards (as they say to use) but for some reason, 1 of them, although reading and writing fine, caused my issues.
Once i had the device in my room crocidile clipped (for power, ground, acc) from an old computer power supply i hacked up, i was able to try things much faster without going out to my car and back to the computer.
I tried using the same SD card for both steps, and it all just worked....
Both were reliable brands, and like i said both rear\wrote fine so i really cant say what it was.

Benefits to running one of these, is just all the little tweaks they do, like remove junk, add little add ons (eg. different volume animation, GPS speed at the home screen (if you use that launcher), Rooted (of course), generally they try to work out bugs, they add in abunch of addons i cant even mention because there is too many, and i guess because i was sold on his previous work, i put that rom on immediately and didnt even try the factory one.

Have a read of the forums, they have a bunch of different developers sorta fighting it out to have the best rom, and its a very active forum.
Just make sure you get the correct MTCD,MTCE etc. but learn how to get back to recovery before you start putting stuff on, because you might get errors, and then you will NEED to get back into recovery to restore anything.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the info! I have experience rooting android phones/tablets, but with this info I will probably pull the trigger on the HIZPO unit soon.

·
Registered
56 Posts
So update. So I went back to the Bonroad developer thread bjmSam started and read the whole darn thing.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/android-auto/android-head-units/bonroad-c1067106a3-allwinner-quad-core-t3565236

So I pulled down every Android 6 Bonroad update I could find. The newest being posted: 2017-07-25 Update. Post #97 in the above thread. Is there a newer one? I pulled this one down. And the install was super smooth without having to remove the bin file (ugh). Be careful in that thread (I think) as they start talking about another head unit. Many thank to the developers, Even if this doesn't work out they made many improvements. Maybe I will keep it, time will tell.

Things so far, much better. I received the Android HIZPO Android 8.0 32 4g core ram unit in a few days from china. Fast. I told them I would review it. But for now it sits in the box.

Edit: Power Amp can now see my SD Crad. But it is choking on 16 GB of music and playlists. The Bonroad music player has no such problem and will play right away. But it ignores playlists so it is useless.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Quick question for you android guys. How do you upgrade maps when the IGO is installed on the internal storage? I dont see any folder just an IGo APK! I had wince and was easy with just a sd card!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I use "Jet Audio Plus" for my media, i find its the best out there and looks really polished , i recall looking into poweramp a bit at the start.
Maps : i use Google Maps (online) (i get an offline copy if im doing a trip) or Waze... so i cant help re. updating maps for IGO

281 - 300 of 338 Posts