Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

New Android Head Unit

111K views 353 replies 47 participants last post by  rav4.32010 
#1 ·
I installed an Android v4 (KitKat) head unit in my Corvette nearly three years ago (GS-C0219 / JY-C0227 from Pumpkin - thread here) and remain so pleased with it that I just bought an Android v6 (Marshmallow) model for my 2009 RAV4 (non-JBL). This one (C1067106A3 from "BonRoad") has double the CPU cores, twice the RAM and ROM, higher resolution, custom form factor and plug-and-play installation (took less than 30 minutes total), all for only $287 shipped. Impressive! It arrived within a week with no customs tariff, looks stock, responds quickly, runs all of my apps (Torque is a favorite), has excellent navigation (iGo works offline), offers flexible equalization for much better sound quality out of the stock speakers, and makes my 2009 feel like a 2017. These units are so good that it really is hard to imagine ever going back to a traditional head unit from a mainstream manufacturer.

See less See more
Reactions: jack black
#2 ·
SD "CRAD" lol
That would drive me nuts.
"CARD" is misspelled in about half of the photos in the listing, suggesting that it changed in a subsequent manufacturing run. It does not bother me, but if it would drive you nuts, then be sure to confirm with the vendor.

Attachments

#7 ·
I didn't bother replacing the stock head unit with a name brand head unit before installing this Android head unit so have no basis for that comparison, but most modern head units employ commodity op-amp components and produce equivalent output. Anyone serious about sound quality (to the extent that it even makes sense in a vehicle) will use the line level outputs to feed an external amplifier driving better speakers. The Android head unit in my Corvette feeds the stock Bose amp, which presumably is the appropriate configuration for this Android head unit in a RAV4 with the optional JBL audio package.

Can you run the GPS and make a BlueTooth phone call at the same time?
Yes, I can use iGo for GPS navigation, Torque to monitor OBD-II via a BT ELM327 device, and place a BT phone call simultaneously, which is true for the older Android head unit in my Corvette as well.

Can you adjust the MID in the sound settings? Mine is just for show and does nothing.
Yes, which is true for the older Android head unit in my Corvette as well. With your head unit, perhaps the bass and treble can be adjusted to achieve the desired midrange level (boost both to reduce relative midrange, attenuate both to increase relative midrange).

The 2GB RAM/32GB ROM version shows as US$311. Is this what you got?
No, I opted for the model with 2GB RAM / 16 GB ROM and will spend $10 to add a 32 GB MicroSD card if more storage is needed. The Android head unit in my Corvette has only 1 GB RAM / 8 GB ROM yet the 32 GB MicroSD card still has 26 GB free (primarily apps, music and Torque logs).

All these China units come with outdated maps. I have wince 6.0 version and mine came with IGO 8 and my maps were 3 years old. I just updated to IGO Primo 2.4 with text to speech and latest maps. You can find latest IGO maps by searching GOOGLE " USA & Canada HERE 2016.Q3".
What head unit is not from China? ;) The Android head unit that I installed in my Corvette back in 2014 came with 2012Q4 maps (i.e.- just over one year old), and the late 2016 model that I just installed in my RAV4 came with 2011Q2 maps (five years old), which admittedly seems odd. The GPS Power forum is a good source for free iGo map updates, and the latest is 2016Q3 as you pointed out.

Reactions: vanib
#6 ·
All these China units come with outdated maps. I have wince 6.0 version and mine came with IGO 8 and my maps were 3 years old. I just updated to IGO Primo 2.4 with text to speech and latest maps. You can find latest IGO maps by searching GOOGLE " USA & Canada HERE 2016.Q3".

#8 ·
I tried to buy this today and they wanted copies of my credit card, bank statement, driver's license, passport,most recent physical, dental records, reference from 3rd grade teacher, blood type and results from my last proctology exam (if applicable). They can suck a fatty if they think I'm gonna get a good reference from my 3rd grade teacher. I guess I will do without.

#12 ·
For me, purchasing through AliExpress was no different than purchasing through Amazon.

#13 ·
I've considered swapping head units for an Android one but my biggest concern is the rca out voltages for my sound system. I've had units with 2 volt pre out's and they don't cut it. I need 4 volt or greater. Do you happen to know the voltage on your head unit?

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

#14 ·
#31 ·
Yes, of course (it's Android).

non functional buttons and no DVD capability
This is among the reasons I opted for the Bonroad over the Joying.

Is there an option to change the backlighting from blue to amber? I would want it to match.
Mine is amber as shown in the listing (easiest to see in the video).

#28 ·
So I went and got me one of the Android units. I bought it off Amazon and installed it over the weekend. I am pretty pleased with it so far. It sounds as good as any name brand stereo I have had. The install was very easy and went without a hitch. I will try it for a while and see if it's a keeper. Once the key is on it boots completely in 3-5 seconds which is faster than the JVC I took out.

#29 ·
Wow, that looks really nice! Is there an option to change the backlighting from blue to amber? I would want it to match.

P.S. I was looking at that unit on Amazon and saw this question and answer:

Question: Product looks great w/ 2GB RAM & 32GB ROM but it also has non functional buttons & not usuable DVD opening. Can you add DVD player or change the Case?

Answer: Sorry that all our special unit with 2GB RAM have no DVD slot.
By carjoying

So, does yours play have non functional buttons and no DVD capability?

https://www.amazon.com/JOYING-2006-2011-Android-Bluetooth-Receiver/dp/B01MT8AK2F

#32 ·
As far as I can tell the button colors are not changeable tho I have not looked too hard to change them. Blue is my favorite color so it's fine with me so far LOL.
There is no DVD/CD player so those 2 buttons serve no function other than looking pretty LOL. I don't use DVDs or CDs for anything so it's of no use to me anyway.

#33 ·
Bjmsam what Rom is yours using? Is it actually android 6 as I have read some said they were 6, but actually 5. How is the radio station RDS readout on yours, mine is rather small and just about useless LOL. It's about the only negative I have so far. I've only used the mirroring once and it was a little laggy, I may toy more with that. GPS and Bluetooth work great. Also did you need anything additional to use the steering wheel controls? I had a metra unit in there from my last stereo and when I disconnected that the swc stopped working, hooked it back up and they work fine even tho the 3.5mm isn't plugged into anything.
I bought one from Amazon first because returning it is so easy and if I find the Bonroad unit to be better I will get that one.

#34 ·
Bjmsam what Rom is yours using? Is it actually android 6 as I have read some said they were 6, but actually 5.
It's running Android 6.0.1 (see beginning of the video in the listing).

How is the radio station RDS readout on yours
The display seemed fine but I disabled RDS because it switched stations too frequently (TA mode?).

Also did you need anything additional to use the steering wheel controls?
The SWC buttons were recognized natively. I mapped the Mode button to Mute, which is nice. Gripe: When in radio mode, the channel buttons change the frequency rather than the preset, which I've asked the vendor to address via an update.

#40 ·
I have my buttons mapped volume up and down, mode cycles thru radio, video, Bluetooth audio, internal audio and video player and the right side up and down will play next track or previous track and next or previous radio preset. When mapping your right side buttons did you use the key with >> or >|? I noticed when I did mine that if I used >>,<< then it would change frequency, but |< >| changes preset.

#41 ·
The radio app offers soft buttons < > for frequency and |< >| for seek; there are no soft buttons that step through the presets. When in music mode, the SWC do switch tracks as expected.

#52 ·
I also purchased the Car Joying head unit last year, and I must say this is hands down the best upgrade I made on my RAV. I got the Android 4.4 version at the time. The IGO navigation works great and is super useful while traveling. Bluetooth works well, although I only hear the sound through the right speaker. This is probably a bug that's been fixed, I just haven'y gotten around to it yet. I also have a functioning DVD player integrated! Not sure why the new versions don`t offer the DVD as mentioned in this thread. Here`s a picture of mine!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.