Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always had problem starting the car if I parked the car for more than 3 days (winter/summer). I must have a duff battery from new, because this happens when the car was less than a year old.

My friend recently been on holiday for 3 weeks and returned home to start the car with no problem with his. So therefore it tells me that my battery is a problem on my RAV. So I have bought a heavy duty one (similar to the one used in the RAV4 Diesel model) with 700A cranking power.

To be specific the battery is a Yuasa type 96 Calcium (sold by Halford) with 4 yrs warranty. Note, Halford recommended type 337 maintenance free battery (3 yrs warranty) for the same price as type 96. But I bought the type 96.

However, the car does seem to start a lot more better, although I haven't left it for more than 3 days to see I get the same problem as the old battery.

The thing I noticed is that the engine idle speed is very low (approx 500rpm)at times after I replaced the battery with the heavy duty one.

Does anyone else suffer from this problem after they replaced with a heavy duty battery? I'm think on the line that the alternator can't provide the charge properly with the heavy duty battery. Any replies is appreciated.

I will try and run the car on the motorway to get a better charge and if the problem goes away, or may the ECU is still learning the paramters of the engine, since it was resetted as a result of the battery replacement.

:idea:

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After having a new battery, it is not unusual for the car to feel different for a little while as the ECU will have been reset to its factory default settings so will take a little while to update its parameters.

The higher milage and more worn the engine is, the more noticable the difference as the factory defaults no longer apply.

Was your old battery ever properly charged? Driving to charge the battery never charges it properly, I like to use a trickle charger if I ever let my battery go flat

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It sounds like you may have an open relay somewhere that draws a very small amount of power 24/7 and after a while will drain the battery dead.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts