Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

New Bluetooth option from Toyota for the 4.3 RAV4...

71542 Views 53 Replies 20 Participants Last post by  CrazyIvan
http://behindthewheelnews.toyota.com

Genuine Toyota BLU Logic®
Hands-free System

Toyota's BLU Logic® Hands-free System lets you enjoy the ultimate convenience of hands-free cell phone use -- and comply with state laws restricting the use of cell phones while driving. BLU Logic utilizes Bluetooth® technology that integrates with the factory audio system to create a wireless communication link between your vehicle and cellular phone. Users can answer incoming calls, hear the caller through the vehicle's audio system and communicate through the fixed microphone provided. Intuitive and simple to operate, the system integrates directly into your vehicle's dashboard and uses a three-button switch that contains an off-hook/on-hook button and a pair of volume-up/volume-down buttons.

The BLU Logic one-touch system brings hands-free calling to many new and late-model Toyota vehicles without the use of an earbud or other separate pieces. Compatible with most Bluetooth-capable cellular phones, BLU Logic can be programmed to recognize and pair with up to seven different cellular phones for use individually, accommodating various users. Best of all, the Genuine Toyota BLU Logic Hands-free System is backed by Toyota's three-year/36,000-mile New Vehicle Limited Warranty,1 valid at any Toyota dealership nationwide, so you can feel confident that you're getting a quality accessory that meets Toyota's strict standards.

BLU Logic capabilities, when it is paired with a Bluetooth-compatible phone, include:

* Ability to recognize and pair with up to seven different cell phones for use individually (system can detect a wireless signal from the handset up to 30 feet away depending on which phone is being used and the phone's battery level)

* Hands-free cellular phone operation with a built-in microphone and a single button for call, answer and disconnect functions, as well as volume-adjustment buttons

* Automatic audio routing through the vehicle's driver and passenger front speakers, delivering clear, quality sound

* Automatic mute of your vehicle's audio system when receiving or making a call

* Voice dialing for cellular phones that are voice-dialing enabled

* Last-number redial

Additionally, if the paired phone offers Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP) compatibility, you can listen to music stored on your phone through the vehicle's front speakers, controlled by the music-streaming program on your phone. Now that's convenient!

To activate or pair the BLU Logic system in your vehicle, you should refer to your phone's owner's manual and follow the specific directions listed for pairing a phone to a hands-free device. Since BLU Logic can pair with up to seven different phones for use individually, the system will determine which paired phone should be activated by searching for the signal of the most recently used phone. If the phone is not in the vehicle or turned on, BLU Logic will not activate. In these instances, to activate the system, a new phone can be paired or an already-paired phone can be connected by selecting BLU Logic from the cell phone's list of paired devices and choosing the option to CONNECT from the phone's menu.

The following Toyota vehicles are compatible with BLU Logic:

* 2008-2009 4Runner
* 2008-2009 Avalon
* 2008–2010 Camry
* 2009–2010 Corolla
* 2008-2009 FJ Cruiser
* 2008–2009 Highlander
* 2009–2010 Matrix
* 2008–2009 RAV4
* 2008–2009 Sequoia
* 2008-2009 Tacoma
* 2008–2009 Tundra
* 2009 VENZA
* 2008–2009 Yaris

BLU Logic conflicts with all JBL® audio systems and some navigation systems. Furthermore, the vehicle must have at least one switch blank or a "knock-out" plate that can be used for installation of the BLU Logic switch. For more vehicle-compatibility information, visit your local Toyota dealer.

To learn more about Toyota's BLU Logic® Hands-free System, and to see a current list of compatible Bluetooth-enabled phones and a list of frequently asked questions, click the "More information" link below.

Other Bluetooth-enabled phones not listed on the site may also be compatible; however, you should try those phones at your dealership to be sure they function properly.

1Warranty from original date of first use when sold as new. See dealer for warranty details.

More information: http://www.blulogicupdate.com
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

· Registered
253 Posts
jimpav said:
http://RAV4World.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=207916#207916

You can set up many phones, but can use only one at a time. Also, you cannot change the settings while moving (safety). At least once you set up a phonebook, it can be shared by multiple phones.
Do you select which phone will be active in the car at the time that both phones are active in the car ?

Meaning if my wife and I are in the car can we toggle back from her phone to mine, to use hers to dial out because she has a cheaper calling plan, and mine to receive calls because I have a pre paid plan with no charge for incoming calls .

And can the second phone that is not linked at the time still make/receive calls as usual while driving ?

· Registered
253 Posts
jimpav said:
http://RAV4World.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=207916#207916

You can set up many phones, but can use only one at a time. Also, you cannot change the settings while moving (safety). At least once you set up a phonebook, it can be shared by multiple phones.
I think I jumped the gun.
I do not have the Blue Logic just the ordinary JBL radio with Bluetooth in my 2009 Limited. Can I use more than one phone with my setup?

· Registered
39 Posts
CROW said:
joudbren said:
This looks really slick and thanks for posting! I'm currently using a Motorola T505 visor mount bluetooth unit but I would love to have something that is integrated. The Motorola works fantastic but every once in a while I forget to shut it off and when I'm in my office the phone is still connected to the bluetooth in the car! Dohhh!

Does anyone know if this new Toyota unit is full or half duplex for voice calls? Cheers!

James
It's full duplex according to the manual. (See link above.)
Thanks Crow! That clinches it for me! I'm in for one of these!

James

· Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
17,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
CROW said:
I just installed this. Installation was simple - the hardest part was unplugging the wires in the back of the radio. FYI: The switch lights up blue instead of orange.
Well of course--they don't call it BLUEtooth for nothing! So did you mount the switch next to the headlight dimmer? Where did you mount the microphone? Let us know how well it works.

· Registered
57 Posts
Yes, I used the knockout right next to the dimmer. I put the microphone below the instrument panel, to the right of the steering column. I didn't use the adhesive to place it permanently, I figure I would try it out for a while first. If I need to move it I still can. I haven't gotten a chance to try it out yet. I'll report back in a bit.

· Registered
57 Posts
It doesn't seem to matter much where the microphone is placed. My 3 yr old was able to talk to someone without any difficulty. She was in the back seat and the microphone below the instrument panel. The Blu Logic kit seems to work very well. No one that I have talked to has complained. I was able to register both of my Sony Ericssons without any problems. (They were not on the list of approved devices.) Each time your phone pairs up there is a loud beep to let you know. TRD Sparks has it for about $190 shipped. It may be cheaper elsewhere.

· Registered
4 Posts
Bluetooth Mic Location / Quality

I think I jumped the gun.
I do not have the Blue Logic just the ordinary JBL radio with Bluetooth in my 2009 Limited. Can I use more than one phone with my setup?

It doesn't seem to matter much where the microphone is placed.

I have the stock bluetooth system w/ordinary JBL in my 2009 limited also. The sound works great, however those on the other end always have a hard time hearing me when I am driving. I always turn fan off when talking and even then, the output is not good. Do others have this problem? I'm not sure where the stock mic is located or if there's a better quality mic is needed and replacement possible. Can anyone share any info / ideas for improvement to the microphone pick up?

Thank you!

· Registered
30 Posts
junebug1701 said:
OK, I obtained a copy of the installation instructions for the Toyota Blu-Logic system. These instructions are specific to the RAV4. It looks like a pretty easy install--if you have ever installed a car stereo and speakers, this should be a piece of cake:

https://www.rav4world.com/d1/attachments/pdf/BlueLogic.pdf
Can someone upload instructions again? I cant open this pdf.
Also, if you found where to get it cheaper then 180 feel free to post link.

2008 RAV4 Limited V6
17,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
mrruslanm said:
junebug1701 said:
OK, I obtained a copy of the installation instructions for the Toyota Blu-Logic system. These instructions are specific to the RAV4. It looks like a pretty easy install--if you have ever installed a car stereo and speakers, this should be a piece of cake:

Can someone upload instructions again? I cant open this pdf.
Also, if you found where to get it cheaper then 180 feel free to post link.
I fixed the link:

It didn't like the file name for some reason.

· Registered
1,047 Posts
junebug1701 said:
Gflash said:
Got this in my RAV4. Similar to Blue Logic but called Blue Connect. Its installed in the sunglasses holder above the maplights.

http://autointelligence.com/ai/blueconnect.asp
That looks like a nice system. I'm wondering though, when you push the buttons, does the sunglasses holder pop open? They also show it mounted in the headliner just behind the visor--I think I would prefer that location.

The thing I like about the Blue Logic system is that it's totally integrated into the existing Toyota radio. The radio is automatically muted when a call comes in. It uses a factory style switch that mounts in one of the blank spots either next to the dimmer or down by the 12V accessory socket. I don't know where the microphone mounts. It uses the front door speakers for the phone, and can even play music from the phone using the Bluetooth connection. The only problem is I can't find a price anywhere.
James... this is the one I posted a while back. You recognized the connectors as FORD, They now make the universal, But no hook-up to the radio speakers. The speaker and mic are in the overhead unit. I think its a 3 or 4 wire hook-up.
I found mine for $199 on Amazonzon, it directs me to another seller for $279! from a first time seller named dr*****... can't remember. Never saw it again for that price, nor the seller.
It was BluConnect.com. Maybe he's back. Who knows!!
Loss of luck...

Items Ordered Price
1 of: BlueConnect Hands Free Bluetooth Kit with Tan Bezel
Condition: New
Sold by: dr263599 (seller profile)
$199.00

- 1 item(s) Gift options: None

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Item(s) Subtotal: $199.00
Shipping & Handling: $5.99
-----
Total Before Tax: $204.99
Sales tax: $0.00
-----
Total for this Shipment: $204.99

Richard

the m0ng00se

· Registered
1,047 Posts
Well, I never put in the BlueConnect I bought.
I bought a BluLogic instead. I read on the instructions that it won't work with JBL and some Nav systems. I went to Toyota and they do a LOT of BluLogic, and it does work with OEM Nav.
Then I showed them the mic, which is suggested to be mounted near the instrument cluster or next to the steering column. I wanted a price on the OEM mic that goes in the overhead console, and if the connector is the same. He said the OEM mic is 3 wire. BluLogic is 2, plus the mic is $102!!
I also have all 3 switches filled on the left of the steering column, and 2 by the cup holder. I always have a drink in the cup holder and it blocks sight of the switches. I will attempt to move one of the left switches to the cup holder location and put the BluLogic in its place.
The mic will probably go next to the steering column.
Have a great day!!

the m0ng00se

· Registered
1,047 Posts
junebug1701 said:

James,
Your pdf says it is in conflict with JBL and factory Nav. I just got a pdf and it says JBL only. Plus later on I mentioned Toyota dealership said Nav is not a problem.
I wish they would make up their minds!!

the m0ng00se

2008 RAV4 Limited V6
17,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 · (Edited)
m0ng00se said:
junebug1701 said:

James,
Your pdf says it is in conflict with JBL and factory Nav. I just got a pdf and it says JBL only. Plus later on I mentioned Toyota dealership said Nav is not a problem.
I wish they would make up their minds!!

the m0ng00se
Interesting. I'd like to see your pdf. I wonder if they now have 2 different versions of Blu-Logic for the RAV?

21 - 40 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.