Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I proudly just bought a Rav4 hybrid last week and I was wondering if any of you could help with a couple questions that Toyota customer service can't seem to answer..

1- I've put over 1,000k on my car and I've not once had a "full" battery. The max I've ever seen it go is 2 bars below full or 80% of the allotted bars. I'm just wondering if this is normal or if there is a defect with the batteries not charging 100%. I'm pretty good with using regenerative braking it's not like I'm gunning it all the time.

2- does anyone notice when you're driving in EV mode, the distance to empty also ticks down even though we are using battery power??

Thanks in advance for any input!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hello and congrats! Got mine maybe 3 weeks ago and haven't filled it up once yet.

I too notice that the battery bar never gets to 100%. Seems normal to me (not sure you wan those batteries full).

Never noticed that when doing EV driving mode but will look for it.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
1- I've put over 1,000k on my car and I've not once had a "full" battery. The max I've ever seen it go is 2 bars below full or 80% of the allotted bars. I'm just wondering if this is normal or if there is a defect with the batteries not charging 100%. I'm pretty good with using regenerative braking it's not like I'm gunning it all the time.
The battery meter does not indicate anything like a "full charge" or "discharged" state. 8 bars showing corresponds to roughly a 80% charge state. 2 bars showing corresponds to roughly a 40% charge state.

Keeping the absolute charge state between those two limits is what allows the NiMH battery pack to live for many years.

In normal driving you should see 6 bars more often than not. The only time it will go higher is with sustained regenerative braking. 8 bars is very rare on the Rav4. At that level you will lose most all of the regen braking and have mainly engine braking and of course hydraulics.

2- does anyone notice when you're driving in EV mode, the distance to empty also ticks down even though we are using battery power??

Thanks in advance for any input!
The range calculation is based on average MPG since the last reset. Miles = gas.

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
I see the full 8 bars every time I drive a 3½ mile long, 2000' mountain descent when using the brakes a lot, the EV indicator stays on the entire time since speed on the gravel road is only 20-30mph, lots of switch backs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts