Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Rav4 people!
I am looking to buy a 2004 Rav with 171,000 miles. The seller indicated that the motor was replaced at 95,000 but he cant find the receipt. He said that the garage mistakingly replaced the antifreeze with windshield washer fluid and that ruined the engine? Never heard of that one. The carfax said that the engine was checked at a Toyota dealer at the time he said, but absent a receipt from Toyota dealer, is there any other way to verify he is telling the truth?
Thanks for your feedback, and yes, I am skeptical of anyone who would do anything as dumb as replace antifreeze with washer fluid.
Paul

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,729 Posts

·
Registered
8,535 Posts
Maybe join the Toyota Owners Club www.toyotaowners.com and try entering the RAV's VIN. If a Toyota dealer had been involved that should have been entered into Toyota's database and it should show up in the owner web page.

Well, windshield washer fluid is supposed to contain antifreeze ingredients, but obviously no one with any amount of intelligence should have mistaken one for the other unless someone else who was lacking intellegence had mislabeled the container.

·
Registered
91 Posts
or if you are on good terms with someone at the local Toyota service department, they can pull the service record history by VIN, if it was done at the dealer it should be in there. If a local garage tossed a Jasper rebuild in it you are S.O.L. except by verifying the engine number and taking it on faith that the (long block? Short block?) was replaced

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,729 Posts
When a car is restored, I always hear about matching numbers. Isn't there a plate on the original engine that matches the VIN on the dash?

·
Registered
91 Posts
in the bad old days of U S manufacturing when they built all the components they would do that, but now with engines being built all over the world and shipped to the assy plant, they are not going to track parts to that level, so they just serialize the engine, and document it in the historical build file.

And even if a car is "numbers matching" trust me there are enough replica stamps and dies out there, and even ones that GM tossed out and were obtained by people who then started offering "reproduction" plates, that you have to know your stuff or trust that the seller is reputable when it comes to the car being what it represented to be.

Many VIN and ID tags have been taken off sh*tbox cars and put on 6 cylinder granny cars that were cloned to be rare vehicles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts