Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see that there is a new part number for the gas tank. Anyone think that could be the potential fix for the filling issue? And after looking at the parts diagram, I think the main issue is that vent house is making one heck of a weird bend. Air probably can’t get out fast enough if at all just like brake lines if they’re kinked. I was pumping gas at a trickle this morning, and when I would fill it all the way up to where it almost over flowed, I saw it slowly recede back. I think that the pressure from the fuel pushes the air out of the tank through that vent tube. I am pretty certain that it is just too restrictive to allow the air to exit the tank as it is supposed to. What do you all think?

ttps://www.bamwholesaleparts.com/oem-parts/toyota-fuel-tank-770010r090?c=Zz1mdWVsLXN5c3RlbSZzPWZ1ZWwtc3lzdGVtLWNvbXBvbmVudHMmbD0xJm49QXNzZW1ibGllcyBQYWdlJmE9dG95b3RhJm89cmF2NCZ5PTIwMTkmdD1oeWJyaWQtbGltaXRlZCZlPTItNWwtbDQtZWxlY3RyaWMtZ2Fz

·
Registered
722 Posts
Here's a working version of that link,

I don't think that part number is literally new. It's been around for at least several months, has been posted previously. And is it for the gas-only version, or hybrid, or both?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I looked it up for the hybrid version only. It shows new part numbers for both Japan built and Canadian built.
Has anyone tried looking at that vent hose and see if there could be something rigged up better?

·
Registered
515 Posts
So this is the fuel tank that was installed during my first repair attempt:

and this is the one mentioned in the op:

that 2nd one is the saddle type used in the gas version.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Has anyone tried looking at that vent hose and see if there could be something rigged up better?
Amateur DIY alterations to the fuel system? Modifying a critical component on a brand new car? What could possibly go wrong??!!

I’m sorry but IMHO that’s a really bad idea on several levels including safety and invalidating the warranty. Eff up the vapor recovery system or the tank’s sealed pressurization integrity and you’ll have a CEL.

(n)(n)(n)

·
Registered
298 Posts
RAV4h XSE?
You are a funny guy.
Thanks for the chuckle.

Good friend of our lives in Pacifica. She had a '06 Prius. Never noticed the bladder fuel issue. Then, once, she took a trip with her sister to L.A. They stopped for gas.
They were both on their hands and knees, looking under the Prius to see where the fuel could be pouring out and all over the ground. It was really hot and she had never pumped so much gas into the car, so much that she became alarmed and got down on her hands and knees to see where it had to be pouring out onto the ground. It wasn't. It was hot, the bladder was in a 'come hither' mood.

IMHO, every single RAV4 Hybrid in the N.A. market (fuel tank bladder) suffers this issue. Those who own this unit and live in warm climate zones? They may go through their entire ownership oblivious to the issue. When the ambient temperature drops, the bladder stiffens and becomes resistant to allowing fuel to enter and expand the bladder. When the ambient temperature is high, the bladder becomes supple, pliable, easily influenced into expanding and allowing fuel to 'repopulate' the neighborhood.

That's it. period.

My fueling spreadsheet matrix validates the fuel gauge, the DTE, the MPG Total & MPG Tank calculations.

It's all good.

The badder?

If only Toyota could figure out how to make it suck. :p

·
Registered
235 Posts
The Prius bladder tanks I believe didn't have replaceable fuel pumps from videos on You tube. Just looking at the replacement hybrid gas tanks I would believe that it isn't a bladder tank. Too many openings. However looking at the shape and location of the filler tube the lower part of the tank where the filler tube enters fills first trapping air in the upper elevation of the tank. That air can't come up the filler tube and would have to vent up the little vent hose. If the gas is flowing in fast the air may not be able to vent out the little vent tube fast enough and fuel backs up the filler tube and trips the pump. Just a theory on the problem. Could explain the big gallon loss since the upper tank looks pretty big. Level sensor should have to move into this area to show full tank.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Looking at the odd shape and contours of that tank it’s hard for me to believe it’s a bladder. It does look like it could be problematic to vent out all the air while filling it. I dunno.

·
Registered
298 Posts
The Prius bladder tanks I believe didn't have replaceable fuel pumps from videos on You tube. Just looking at the replacement hybrid gas tanks I would believe that it isn't a bladder tank. Too many openings. However looking at the shape and location of the filler tube the lower part of the tank where the filler tube enters fills first trapping air in the upper elevation of the tank. That air can't come up the filler tube and would have to vent up the little vent hose. If the gas is flowing in fast the air may not be able to vent out the little vent tube fast enough and fuel backs up the filler tube and trips the pump. Just a theory on the problem. Could explain the big gallon loss since the upper tank looks pretty big. Level sensor should have to move into this area to show full tank.
I believe that it is a bladder tank. Your supposition about air and the location of the filler tube actually supports the use of a bladder.

It collapses and expands with the quantity of fuel.

There is no air, that's the entire point of a bladder design system, vapor and emission mitigation. No pockets of air providing potential for vapor, just liquid gasoline. As gasoline is used and the volume depletes, the bladder collapses with the quantity of gasoline. Brilliant.

Further exacerbating the current issue with the 2019 RAV4 Hybrid, the filler tube is corrugated. This can only further disrupt the potential for smooth, fluid, laminar flow of gasoline into the storage vessel. Combine that aspect with a stiff bladder in cold weather, and it explains perfectly the fueling experience.

Toyota Industrial Design Engineers simply need to focus on making the act of trying to fuel the unit suck more/harder.

Problem solved. ;-)

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I believe that it is a bladder tank. Your supposition about air and the location of the filler tube actually supports the use of a bladder.

It collapses and expands with the quantity of fuel.

There is no air, that's the entire point of a bladder design system, vapor and emission mitigation. No pockets of air providing potential for vapor, just liquid gasoline. As gasoline is used and the volume depletes, the bladder collapses with the quantity of gasoline. Brilliant.

Further exacerbating the current issue with the 2019 RAV4 Hybrid, the filler tube is corrugated. This can only further disrupt the potential for smooth, fluid, laminar flow of gasoline into the storage vessel. Combine that aspect with a stiff bladder in cold weather, and it explains perfectly the fueling experience.

Toyota Industrial Design Engineers simply need to focus on making the act of trying to fuel the unit suck more/harder.

Problem solved. ;-)
This sounds a lot like my bladder. My potential for smooth, fluid, laminar flow is often disrupted, especially in the cold!🥶

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Looking at the odd shape and contours of that tank it’s hard for me to believe it’s a bladder. It does look like it could be problematic to vent out all the air while filling it. I dunno.
I need to see a comparative photograph of these tanks. A dissection would also be interesting. The shape and contours of the outer shell are likely there to make it fit under the hybrid battery, the seat and to be protected from all the other stuff near it. The inner shell may be shaped differently to accommodate the bladder. I dunno either.

·
Registered
264 Posts
If it's a bladder issue, why am I consistently 2-3 gallons short regardless of whether I fill up in the summer or in the winter?

·
Registered
235 Posts
On the picture of the bladder tank you can't replace the fuel pump because it is enclosed in the metal tank, On the Rav4 tank the fuel pump is replaceable. Look at the video of the bladder tank being cut apart. If the fuel pump is in the bladder then the level sensor would never change position because the level wouldn't change just the outside of the bladder are area would change. Either way the shape if the tank and position of the vent tube would still cause an issue if it were not sized to flow the required air based on various pump flows.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Metal gas tanks went out with exploding GMC pickup trucks along with Ford Pintos, Mavericks, and Lincoln Mercury Comets.

The RAV4 Hybrid has several rigid resin components, a couple of shields (underside and top), the hard resin tank enclosure, and the bladder within.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Metal gas tanks went out with exploding GMC pickup trucks along with Ford Pintos, Mavericks, and Lincoln Mercury Comets.

The RAV4 Hybrid has several rigid resin components, a couple of shields (underside and top), the hard resin tank enclosure, and the bladder within.
Where are you getting that information from? I would like to see the tank specs detailed out with that much information. Maybe it would be useful to figure this problem out or resolve some common misconceptions.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Where are you getting that information from? I would like to see the tank specs detailed out with that much information. Maybe it would be useful to figure this problem out or resolve some common misconceptions.
Which information? The metal fuel tanks being obsoleted or the multiple parts on the RAV4?
The multiple parts on the RAV4 would bite you if they had teeth. This thread.

·
Registered
298 Posts
If it's a bladder issue, why am I consistently 2-3 gallons short regardless of whether I fill up in the summer or in the winter?
No idea.

My guess would be that the tank bladder has established a fold or some other eccentric static states that gives it a distinct proclivity at reduced maximum capacity.

When I picked up my unit, I was acutely aware of this issue. With one road trip exception, I have refused to let the fuel gauge drop below 7/10 full. My rationale behind keeping the tank toward the FULL side? Exactly the issue you are suffering. Even with my OCD behavior, fueling this unit is like NOTHING I have ever experienced before. The event vacillates between amusing, obnoxious, frustrating, bordering on infuriating . . . . . . but ultimately, like so many things in life, challenge accepted, tenacity and persistence win the day.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Which information? The metal fuel tanks being obsoleted or the multiple parts on the RAV4?
The multiple parts on the RAV4 would bite you if they had teeth. This thread.
I looked over the thread and didn't see any of the info you stated. Where are you seeing actual information that says it has a bladder other than some people guessing it is? Just trying to get accurate info.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts