Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
I looked over the thread and didn't see any of the info you stated. Where are you seeing actual information that says it has a bladder other than some people guessing it is? Just trying to get accurate info.
Items #7 & #8 in this illustration, upper & lower shield.

Other than a verbal wink & nod from a friendly service writer at a Toyota Dealership, there is zero written confirmation (at least that I've been able to find) anywhere with regard to a bladder in the RAV4 Hybrid tank. There is only the real world behavior that mimics the Toyota 2001-2009 Prius issue caused by a fuel bladder in that unit.

Nothing comes remotely close to sufficiently explaining the behavior and experience, with this vehicle, of trying to introduce fuel into the fuel vessel like a fuel bladder.

However, everyone is free to believe whatever they like to believe.

I believe that there is a fuel bladder. My direct hands on experience with the unit, tracking fueling events, both Tank and Total Miles Per Gallon, along with critical thought leaves me comfortable with this belief. My conversation with a Toyota Service Writer, along with his wink & nod posture, provides me with sufficient validation . . . . . for me. That is a bridge too far for others, I'm okay with that.

Other people choose to believe a string of dysfunctional components all conspiring to provide the user with inexplicably, intentionally, flagrantly, wrong, misleading, careless, information that I can only characterize as a Rube Goldberg construct.

I do not participate in these discussions with a goal of offending or winning others over to my point of view.

It's all good.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Here is someone who was told directly that there is no bladder in the RAV4 hybrid gas tank by someone who presumably had their hands on such a gas tank.
When they tested my tank after replacing they told me there was not a bladder in the tank.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Excellent parts breakdown. Upper and lower shields are for protection and all my 4WD SUVs had them metal or plastic tanks. Interesting layout so parts 1 and 2 are the vent tube setup for the upper tank portion and seems to vent out the filler tube. I suspect it vents into directly into the filler tube and maybe the white plastic sleeve in the filler neck prevents the gas from blocking the vent. Also there doesn't seem to have any solenoid in that vent line so not sure my there is a time limit to fuel tank after you press the fuel door button. Not sure what the protected switch button does by the fuel door which has been a issue on other Toyota cars. Either way, bladder or not, that space needs vented to get a full tank and I suppose that will be part of a fix solution. I could concede to a bladder if there was no vapor recovery system used on the Rav4, I am thinking that is the only reason for a bladder. I have worked on cars for 45 years but relatively new to Toyota and especially hybrids.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I see that there is a new part number for the gas tank. Anyone think that could be the potential fix for the filling issue? And after looking at the parts diagram, I think the main issue is that vent house is making one heck of a weird bend. Air probably can’t get out fast enough if at all just like brake lines if they’re kinked. I was pumping gas at a trickle this morning, and when I would fill it all the way up to where it almost over flowed, I saw it slowly recede back. I think that the pressure from the fuel pushes the air out of the tank through that vent tube. I am pretty certain that it is just too restrictive to allow the air to exit the tank as it is supposed to. What do you all think?

ttps://www.bamwholesaleparts.com/oem-parts/toyota-fuel-tank-770010r090?c=Zz1mdWVsLXN5c3RlbSZzPWZ1ZWwtc3lzdGVtLWNvbXBvbmVudHMmbD0xJm49QXNzZW1ibGllcyBQYWdlJmE9dG95b3RhJm89cmF2NCZ5PTIwMTkmdD1oeWJyaWQtbGltaXRlZCZlPTItNWwtbDQtZWxlY3RyaWMtZ2Fz
I wish that was the only problem we have with this Rav. Bladder in the tank is a safety issue. Toyota going that extra mile to make this vehicle safe, from impact. I would take it, even if this was the only issue we deal with.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I wish that was the only problem we have with this Rav. Bladder in the tank is a safety issue. Toyota going that extra mile to make this vehicle safe, from impact. I would take it, even if this was the only issue we deal with.
Someone posted a document that appears to be the EPA document for the RAV4 Hybrid TESTING. Here is a screen capture . . . .

Toyota has managed a spectacular fuel system design that mimicks the fueling behavior of a bladder enclosed by a rigid resin tank.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Items #7 & #8 in this illustration, upper & lower shield.
View attachment 147384

There is only the real world behavior that mimics the Toyota 2001-2009 Prius issue caused by a fuel bladder in that unit.

It's all good.
So it could very well be a bladder issue, but the above statement is flat out incorrect. Most of the people experiencing the issue experience it whether it’s hot or cold outside. This is the major difference between the two issues. That doesn’t mean it’s not a bladder issue (if it indeed has one).

·
Registered
206 Posts
I really think it is a very slight design issue with the tank, that requires you to fill very slowly the last 1 or 2 gallons. Actually I have had Fords, Chevys, Buicks, and now my Rav4 behave this way. I don't think it is all that unusual. I THINK this is coupled with a very early low fuel warning. I just drove 150 miles with the yellow light on. 617 miles total at freeway speeds. Guess what? After that I was able to pump 15 gallons into the tank.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I really think it is a very slight design issue with the tank, that requires you to fill very slowly the last 1 or 2 gallons. Actually I have had Fords, Chevys, Buicks, and now my Rav4 behave this way. I don't think it is all that unusual. I THINK this is coupled with a very early low fuel warning. I just drove 150 miles with the yellow light on. 617 miles total at freeway speeds. Guess what? After that I was able to pump 15 gallons into the tank.
I've got to disagree here.

Pulling up to the fuel island, knowing the tank is down 7 gallons (or more) and beginning to fuel on lowest flow setting, the nozzle shuts off at 0.7 gallons. This scenario has been experienced multiple times, and I seriously doubt my experience is unique.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Some people ran the car out of gas and were only able to get the rated 14.5 gallons of gas in the tank. I would check the station certification on the pumps.

·
Registered
206 Posts
14.5 in the tank plus more in the neck and who knows whatever crevasses. Also 14.5 may be what is called "nominal" and not a physical limit. YMMV

21 - 32 of 32 Posts