Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, new guy here from northern va. i've always had my eye on a rav4, probably going back at least 10 years, but have only now started seriously considering it as our weekend/winter vehicle for hauling kayaks and camping gear for winter camping. looking at a 2006-2012 rav4, specifically a v6. anyone have one for sale? :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi,

Speaking as en new owner. I've only had my RAV 4 V6 ltd 4wd for a month now. Driven about a 1000 miles with.

Highly recommend it. Fantastic car! Loads of space and really nice to drive. I put a set of summer michelin latitude tour HP 225/65 R17 on. My mileage on these with 50/50 highway and city is combined 23 mi/gallon.

Stuff to consider when you buy one (I read a lot about this particular model and it might save you some time and money):
specific to the RAV4 V6 3.5L AWD, automatic 5spd, limited
Note the VIN number and check the following:

- Check the rear bank oil pipe for yellow letters on the rubber (not the yellow stripe) or better still an all metal one (google VVTi oil 2GR-fe engine leak). The limited service campaign has been extended to 2021.
- Check the rear differential for growling noise or oil leak
- Ticking sound on startup could be oil valve of camshaft being stuck. Very expensive repair.
- Check if rear arm alignment rods have been replaced (safety recall)
- Sparkplugs should be changed around 120.000 miles
- Regarding the whine noise of this particular transmission (the U151F). I was hesitant to mention it because some consider this normal while others do not. Mine has it but it does not bother me. It can be dealt with but you need a remanufactured transmission. Labor cost alone is upwards of 1500 dollars and the remanufactured transmission costs about the same. It drives fine as it is.
- According to 3 separate toyota dealers: don't change the ATF (some consider this good practice to change the fluid. I'm inclined to follow the dealers advice).

This particular engine and transmission can do at least 180.000 miles without serious problems.

Best of luck to you and I hope you find a good one. I feel fantastic every time I drive it.
If anyone spots an omission or an untruth feel free to let me know.

M

·
Registered
423 Posts
Welcome from Pennsylvania!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts