Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My wife and I have an 07 Limited. We took it in for an inspection sticker earlier today. They told me it needs a new inner tie rod. I'm no slouch. I have a good sized fleet of vehicles here (mostly jeeps). I do the majority of my own work on these vehicles. The service writer at the dealership we went to started to tell me how the inner tie rods were part of the steering rack - and cannot be separated. I started to question his knowledge when he proceeded to tell me the engine had to come out of the vehicle to get the steering rack out. At this point, I couldn't take it anymore. We left - without a sticker. I have been looking around on line, but cannot find a definitive answer. Can I just replace the inner tie rods on this thing? A quick search comes up with several retailers selling parts that they say will work.

Thank you in advance,

Eric

·
Registered
91 Posts
Eric are you a radio guy?

Outer,One Side .9 hrs

Includes: Adjust toe-in on all models. DOES NOT include R&I rack & pinion gear. NOTE: Manufacturer recommends removal of rack & pinion steering gear when replacing inner tie rod ends on some models. If removal of rack & pinion gear is necessary use Steering Gear - R&I plus Combinations. Deduct .4 if alignment is also performed.

All In-Line4,FWD
Includes: Adjust toe-in on Rack & Pinion type gears. Includes: R&I Engine and Transmission Assembly. DOES NOT include Wheel Alignment.
B

All V6,FWD
Includes: Adjust toe-in on Rack & Pinion type gears. Includes: R&I Engine and Transmission Assembly. DOES NOT include Wheel Alignment. Includes: Recover, Evacuate and Recharge Air Conditioning System.
B

All V6,AWD
Includes: Adjust toe-in on Rack & Pinion type gears. Includes: R&I Engine and Transmission Assembly. DOES NOT include Wheel Alignment. Includes: Recover, Evacuate and Recharge Air Conditioning System.
B

All In-Line4,AWD
Includes: Adjust toe-in on Rack & Pinion type gears. Includes: R&I Engine and Transmission Assembly. DOES NOT include Wheel Alignment.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'd be getting a second effn opinion on that diagnosis if I were you.

If you were closer to Pelham you could swing by and we could check it for you

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hahaha -

Yeah - I'm not thrilled. I forgot to mention the $2957.54 quote to do the job.

Radio guy?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for that link. I've been through just about all of it. Maybe I missed it, but I cannot find anything about the tie rods. Lots of great information, though.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Hello,

My wife and I have an 07 Limited. We took it in for an inspection sticker earlier today. They told me it needs a new inner tie rod. I'm no slouch. I have a good sized fleet of vehicles here (mostly jeeps). I do the majority of my own work on these vehicles. The service writer at the dealership we went to started to tell me how the inner tie rods were part of the steering rack - and cannot be separated. I started to question his knowledge when he proceeded to tell me the engine had to come out of the vehicle to get the steering rack out. At this point, I couldn't take it anymore. We left - without a sticker. I have been looking around on line, but cannot find a definitive answer. Can I just replace the inner tie rods on this thing? A quick search comes up with several retailers selling parts that they say will work.

Thank you in advance,

Eric
Well if they sell the part separately I would think yes.

ACDELCO 45A1325 {#19255810} Professional Info
Flag indicates this part fits vehicles sold in the US Market. It does not indicate where the part was made -- manufacturers produce parts in multiple factories worldwide. Flag indicates this part fits vehicles sold in the Canadian Market. It does not indicate where the part was made -- manufacturers produce parts in multiple factories worldwide. Inner

$24.79
2007 TOYOTA RAV4 2.4L L4 Tie Rod End | RockAuto

I had a 1999 caravan years ago and they told me the same thing... wanted like 1500.00 for the whole rack.Took it for a second opinion and had it done for 40 dollars.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ordered the new inner tie rod. Borrowed an inner tie rod tool from a friend. The job took about 30 minutes. 10 of those were spent looking for a wrench. Took the car back to the same dealer for re-inspection. No comment from them, but new sticker on the windshield when they brought it back out.

Last time I'll go there? You betcha.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts