Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, My wife has a 2002 Rav4 black and completely stock.
I have a 96 Landcruiser 80 with locking axles.

I understand you guys have a diff lock switch on the earlier Rav4 models.
Is it possible to install a diff lock switch on her 02?

With the Landcruiser this option is available. Just behind the dash is the wiring. You just have to buy the switch, and install it yourself.

Question #2. When I buy the next set of tires, what do you guys recommend for an all season tire. When I drive the Rav seems like its a little slippery driving. I know the wheel base is a little smaller then the 80, and that makes a difference, but is there a tire that will compensate for this?
I've searched and couldn't find much info. on the diff lock switch idea.

Thanks for any help!!!

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Actually, I don't think peterpogi realised you were talking about a 2002.

My understanding is that the 2001 redesign included a completely different kind of AWD system with a viscous centre differential (vs. a mechanical diff from 1994-2000), which precludes being able to manually lock that new centre diff.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
You might try posting in the 4.2 section since there's a little more action there from owners, but if you haven't already, visit tirerack.com and select your vehicle & size and read the reviews of tires offered in the size you need. This has been very helpful to me in the past when choosing tires - often you can read reviews written by people who have the same vehicle you do.

If I were to buy new tires today I'd be choosing between the Goodyear Fortera SilentArmor and the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza - both seem to rank near the top of the pack.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts