·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,131 Posts
What's with the blower and the magnets????? I've been driving for 50 years and NEVER seen anything like this. Please explain.

·
Registered
189 Posts
i think hes trying to help to bring down remaining oil into the drain hole. just make it faster to flow down.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hi RTexasF & ashtony,
After using the engine Oil Flush, it turns the oil very 'watery', and I use the blower to blow it ALL out. I used to let it drain overnight, but the blower makes it quicker. BTW, my engine oil was fairly clean, but after the 'flush', it came out black as, so I 'think' it works. As the ad says, 'Why put clean oil into a dirty engine'. (Nice clean oil now, no, it's not overfull, stupid camera!)

Years ago I bought a used 6cyl Ford Falcon, I serviced it and used a magnet on the oil filter. Next service, I removed the oil filter, a LOT of very small ball-bearing-like
pieces of metal came out the filter, I've never forgotten that, that's why I put the magnets on. BTW, this is the first time I stuck 'em on the Rav oil filter. I'll report back in 5000km time. Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
731 Posts
If you have metallic particles in the oil, you have internal engine issues. The magnet is only capturing the pieces. The real problem is the engine is coming apart, and not even a 2 ton NdFeB magnet will save it.

As for the leaf blower, you are putting a LOT of pressure in your crankcase, way more than it was designed for.

When I change my own oil, it is when the engine is hot. I pull the plug, let it drain overnight, reinstall the plug in the morning, change the filter, fill the crankcase, air up the tires, top off all the fluids, put a new sticker on the windshield and it's good to go for another 4000 miles.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi FixIt & road_rascal, as I said, this is the first time I've put magnets on the Rav, so I'm curious to see if there's any metal trapped in the oil filter. Might be none?
It's not a leaf blower, it's a small battery powered blower which I can stop easily with one hand over the nozzle. Not much pressure at all. If you change your own oil, you'll notice the drain plug is not at the bottom of the sump, so dirty oil is left, even if you let it drain even overnight, the blower removes all that crud/sludge etc.

The engine flush hopefully keeps my engine clean. Clean engine 'should' last longer?

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Hi FixIt & road_rascal, as I said, this is the first time I've put magnets on the Rav, so I'm curious to see if there's any metal trapped in the oil filter. Might be none?
It's not a leaf blower, it's a small battery powered blower which I can stop easily with one hand over the nozzle. Not much pressure at all. If you change your own oil, you'll notice the drain plug is not at the bottom of the sump, so dirty oil is left, even if you let it drain even overnight, the blower removes all that crud/sludge etc.

The engine flush hopefully keeps my engine clean. Clean engine 'should' last longer?
Regular oil changes with quality oil and an OEM oil filter will keep your engine clean.
I've pulled the rocker cover on an engine with 200,000 miles on it and it looked like new.
Clean oil, don't overheat it, it'll run forever.

As for the magnets, the small metal particles you found WOULD have been captured by the filter element. The magnets are on the "dirty" side of the filter.

Curious about how that filter is so good if it is only good to 5,000km... The Toyota recommended change interval on that vehicle is 5,000 MILES, and the same OEM filter is good on the engines that use 0w20 synthetic to 10,000 miles.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi CB91710, of course the magnets are on the dirty side of the filter, that way they attract the tiny metal particles before going back into the engine. (see below).
Don't know why the filter is only good for 5000km, suits me, as I change the oil every 5000km. I'm trying these to see how they go.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Hi CB91710, of course the magnets are on the dirty side of the filter, that way they attract the tiny metal particles before going back into the engine. (see below).
They won't go back into the engine unless your filter is so clogged that it has gone into bypass mode.

Any metallic particles that you can see WILL be trapped by the filter.
The magnet simply catches them before they have a chance to get to the filter.

There's no harm, but they are a waste of money.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts