Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I've just installed a JVC KW-V820BT unit from Crutchfield in my 2013 RAV4 non-JBL Limited with 6" navi. Their product selector will include the wrong iDatalink wiring harness (the TO1). You'll need the TO2 harness and, in my experience, there are still two things wrong. 1) Their website says this retains the stock USB port but it does not. For that, you'll need a UTO2 harness but I found a cheaper alternative on Amazon that converts the stock USB port into a standard USB-A plug that you can plug directly into an aftermarket head unit. 2) The backup camera is not a plug and play operation. My stock head unit has a 16 plug pin for the backup camera and a 24 pin connector on the TO2 harness. Just won't go together. There are 5 pins connected from the car side in the 16 pin plug:
Pin 6 - not used for aftermarket head unit; black wire
Pin 7 - Video power supply (+); black (yes, this is positive)
Pin 8 - Video (+) for camera; white
Pin 15 - Video power ground (-); light blue
Pin 16 - Video (-) for camera; red

For the TO2 harness 24 pin connector, you'll need to connect:
Blue/yellow goes to pin 7 black
Yellow (rca plug) goes to pin 8 white
Black goes to pin 15 light blue
Black (rca plug) goes to pin 16 red

I didn't use any of the other pins in the TO2 24 pin harness. I was surprised to find these colors in my car. I had scoured the Internet, called Crutchfield, and the iDatalink people and put this chart together from information I found. These colors differed from what I found. Your car may be different.

I also installed the iDatalink RR kit for full steering wheel controls, an Sirius XM SXV300 tuner, Metra radio enclosure/dash trim kit, antenna converter. I was looking for a source to re-use the stock GPS & XM antenna but just gave up for now and installed the ones that came with. If anyone has a source/recommendation for adapters to use the stock GPS & XM antenna, I'm all ears. Thanks.

My first attempt was with a cheaper Pioneer radio and as soon as I plugged it in, I had a really hard time adjusting to the user interface. It just looked and worked ridiculously. I continued that install and ran into problem after problem (wrong harness, wrong connector plugs, etc.) and learned to do it right it would take more time and more money so I reconsidered. This time, I had prepped with the right tools and connectors (posi-taps and posi-twists are a godsend!) and was done in about 6 hours.

6 hours is from opening the UPS box to wiping down the dash and includes installing .NET 20 to program the RR module using Internet Explorer in Windows, testing everything twice (before & after mounting), running two antennas.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's a pic from this morning. A little dark due to angle of sun. I learned two things about this head unit. One is that you can turn on the backup camera at will at any time. Two is that it is possible to change the brightness setting with headlights on & headlights off independently. Now, if I could just turn off the redundant clock...

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Interesting that you had these issues, I too had to use the TO2. Everything said TO1 for my 2016 so I had to exchange it for the TO2. I retained everything and even get computer readouts (tire psi, temperatures on everything, etc) without needing to modify anything.

I used a Pioneer NEX 4200 as my headunit.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks t.mehoves. I'm not surprised that the 2016 has the 24 pin plug that mates with the TO2 24 pin harness. I bought my 2013 pretty early after they were released so that could have something to do with it. I also get the gauges, tire psi, etc. What's the easiest way to match up the actual tire with its psi readout? From what I see, the head unit has no way of knowing which tire is which without manual calibration.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Interesting that you had these issues, I too had to use the TO2. Everything said TO1 for my 2016 so I had to exchange it for the TO2. I retained everything and even get computer readouts (tire psi, temperatures on everything, etc) without needing to modify anything.

I used a Pioneer NEX 4200 as my headunit.
Your photo shows Google Maps? How did you get the phone to mirror on the screen? And I assume that you don't have the 360 birdseye camera system in your RAV4? I've been holding off on changing out the one in our Limited Hybrid until I could confirm if the Birds Eye is a part of the same camera cable as the backup one.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm sure t.mehoves will chime in. That is Android Auto running on an Android phone connected to a Pioneer head unit.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks t.mehoves. I'm not surprised that the 2016 has the 24 pin plug that mates with the TO2 24 pin harness. I bought my 2013 pretty early after they were released so that could have something to do with it. I also get the gauges, tire psi, etc. What's the easiest way to match up the actual tire with its psi readout? From what I see, the head unit has no way of knowing which tire is which without manual calibration.
For the most part, I believe it to be already accurate to which tire. I was reading 1 tire 2 psi low, went to that tire and aired it up 2 more psi and it read right.

Whats funny is I went to the dealer for the 5k mile tire rotation and they had my tire psi all messed up. On the paperwork it had one number while the headunit was reading another. I manually checked and the headunit was correct and it reads exact to my digital psi gauge.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Your photo shows Google Maps? How did you get the phone to mirror on the screen? And I assume that you don't have the 360 birdseye camera system in your RAV4? I've been holding off on changing out the one in our Limited Hybrid until I could confirm if the Birds Eye is a part of the same camera cable as the backup one.
Correct, that is Android Auto. I have USB2 of headunit plugged into factory usb using iDataLink harness. When I plug my phone into factory usb, I am plugged into the headunit.

With iDataLink, you are capable of keeping all factory settings (for most part anyways). I can access door lock/lighting settings that is normally lost when replacing the headunit. The headunit I bought has a dedicated plug to work with iDataLink. Although I cannot test because I have an LE, I can see options for parking assist and the upgraded A/C unit that I do not have. I think its suppose to readout and be changeable as if using the A/C controls. With that said, I am also curious about Birds Eye and it might be possible to work.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I did have to connect the blue wire of a harness (forget which unit it came with) what is normally used for power antenna. I had to connect to the remote wire of headunit to turn the diversity amp on for FM/AM/HD Radio.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Correct, that is Android Auto. I have USB2 of headunit plugged into factory usb using iDataLink harness. When I plug my phone into factory usb, I am plugged into the headunit.

With iDataLink, you are capable of keeping all factory settings (for most part anyways). I can access door lock/lighting settings that is normally lost when replacing the headunit. The headunit I bought has a dedicated plug to work with iDataLink. Although I cannot test because I have an LE, I can see options for parking assist and the upgraded A/C unit that I do not have. I think its suppose to readout and be changeable as if using the A/C controls. With that said, I am also curious about Birds Eye and it might be possible to work.
So basically as long as I purchase what Crutchfield is recommending (iDatalink ADS and iDatalink HRN-T02) I will retain the use of factory USB, steeering wheel controls and backup camera.

I assume I lose the factory bluetooth right?

Sounds like I might have to take a jump and try it on my 2016 Limited Hybrid so I can find out if the 360 Birds Eye still works. Gonna be fuN!

·
Registered
24 Posts
So basically as long as I purchase what Crutchfield is recommending (iDatalink ADS and iDatalink HRN-T02) I will retain the use of factory USB, steeering wheel controls and backup camera.

I assume I lose the factory bluetooth right?

Sounds like I might have to take a jump and try it on my 2016 Limited Hybrid so I can find out if the 360 Birds Eye still works. Gonna be fuN!
You lose the factory mic, if that's what you are asking about Bluetooth. You will lose the factory Bluetooth but your new headunit will have Bluetooth giving it back. Most, if not all, headunits come with a mic to plugin. Measure the diameter of the mic and drill that into one of your blanks in the dash. I used the one right behind the key slot on right hand side of steering wheel. Insert the mic through from the back of the blank so the wire will run through the dash to headunit unseen. Hot Glue the mic to the blank from behind or how ever you wish to secure it and done.

·
Registered
54 Posts
You lose the factory mic, if that's what you are asking about Bluetooth. You will lose the factory Bluetooth but your new headunit will have Bluetooth giving it back. Most, if not all, headunits come with a mic to plugin. Measure the diameter of the mic and drill that into one of your blanks in the dash. I used the one right behind the key slot on right hand side of steering wheel. Insert the mic through from the back of the blank so the wire will run through the dash to headunit unseen. Hot Glue the mic to the blank from behind or how ever you wish to secure it and done.
Yeah sorry, I meant factory Mic. I found a Toyota Satellite radio adapter on crutchfield. I wonder if that will work to retain the factory satellite radio antenna so I don't have to mount a XM box somewhere else inside the car.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yeah sorry, I meant factory Mic. I found a Toyota Satellite radio adapter on crutchfield. I wonder if that will work to retain the factory satellite radio antenna so I don't have to mount a XM box somewhere else inside the car.
There was one available either for Toyota or for iDataLink (for Toyota) that I was looking at, but I did not have the plug that I could find. I did not expect it to be there but I have found all sorts of things I'm not "suppose" to have. I have read a few comments somewhere about them working and just plugin, making it so much easier if you have it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Here's a pic from this morning. A little dark due to angle of sun. I learned two things about this head unit. One is that you can turn on the backup camera at will at any time. Two is that it is possible to change the brightness setting with headlights on & headlights off independently. Now, if I could just turn off the redundant clock...
Thnx for the pics. Not sure how I feel about the blank spaces on the side of the headunit were the buttons used to be but looks clean overall...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Probably not. I have a 2013 and the satellite radio connector is the square blue plug in this pic. That connector at Crutchfield is round.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thnx for the pics. Not sure how I feel about the blank spaces on the side of the headunit were the buttons used to be but looks clean overall...
I'm sure I'll get used to it, but I kinda feel the same way. That's a lot of empty space. The key thing for me was to get a new unit that added to the features available in the stock radio. I was considering foregoing SiriusXM in the new head unit. I thought Apple Carplay or Android Auto would/could provide XM streaming but the problems with this thinking are: a) streaming data for long periods of time with a limited data plan, b) have to have cellular data service all the time for XM to work, c) have to connect phone to the head unit via wire every time (xm bluetooth streaming works but see #d), d) Sirius XM have 0% interest in updating their app to work with Carplay or Android Auto native interfaces - it will work but you have to touch the phone to start playing and change stations. I also wanted a unit with two usb ports so I can keep a usb flash drive connected with most of my music for the times when I don't connect my phone.

I did give up factory navigation but after using that for a while, this is no great loss. Carplay/Android Auto are much better alternatives. I also was considering the new JBL $399 unit. As far as I know, it's still not available. But, man, is it basic. It just does Carplay & Android Auto and provides an FM/AM tuner, single usb from what I remember. That's it.

For my second attempt, I added the $30 SiriusXM tuner from Amazon and transferred my service at XM online. I didn't have to talk to anyone but they did charge me $15. The same adapter comes with a rebate so it costs $0 but that's after 3 months of new service. Probably same cost over time.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm sure I'll get used to it, but I kinda feel the same way. That's a lot of empty space. The key thing for me was to get a new unit that added to the features available in the stock radio. I was considering foregoing SiriusXM in the new head unit. I thought Apple Carplay or Android Auto would/could provide XM streaming but the problems with this thinking are...

I did give up factory navigation but after using that for a while, this is no great loss. Carplay/Android Auto are much better alternatives. I also was considering the new JBL $399 unit. As far as I know, it's still not available. But, man, is it basic. It just does Carplay & Android Auto and provides an FM/AM tuner, single usb from what I remember. That's it.
Yea I previously had a 15' Camry that I upgraded the HU on and although the sound was x10 better than factory, I missed the OEM look and ended up undoing my work after a few months. Will probably end up upgrading the speakers and adding an amp this time around...

I worry that I will experience the same hissing sound that I did with the Camry -- turns out the Entune HU pre-amp signal isn't the cleanest -- which happened after upgrading my speakers and adding an amp to the factory HU. Once I switched to an aftermarket HU, it was completely gone.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts