Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I discovered that the passenger side headlight stopped working on my 2016 Hybrid XLE.
Drove it to local Toyota dealer service and the guy said that a new halogen bulb would cost about $40 to replace. I left the car to do errands in my other vehicle. The service called me about 30 mins later to inform me that because it's a hybrid, the standard halogen bulb is not voltage compatible, and that it will require a special hybrid bulb that costs $75 ($81 with tax+).

Has anybody ever experienced this?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Ouch! Isn't it covered by warranty? Thought it's 3 years bumper to bumper.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've just acquired my Rav /Hybd a few months ago, so My experiences with this model is limited. To my way of thinking, our Hybrid has the headlights that are powered at 12 volts , and not at the high voltage battery . From preliminary looking online at auto parts websites showing headlight listing for the regular Rav and the Hybrid , they show the same bulb. Now the halogen bulb does contain both high and low beams in one bulb , but I can't find any information showing a special Hybrid model headlight bulb.
You may try calling the parts department and seeing if that a special bulb is needed for a Hybrid. I could understand a special bulb for the Limited , as it uses a LED bulb. Good Luck.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Last night I discovered that the passenger side headlight stopped working on my 2016 Hybrid XLE.
Drove it to local Toyota dealer service and the guy said that a new halogen bulb would cost about $40 to replace. I left the car to do errands in my other vehicle. The service called me about 30 mins later to inform me that because it's a hybrid, the standard halogen bulb is not voltage compatible, and that it will require a special hybrid bulb that costs $75 ($81 with tax+).

Has anybody ever experienced this?
I definitely would NOT buy into whatever it is he's selling (quite literally)... The accessories, lights, and everything not specifically related to the hybrid system (powertrain and such) are the same as a non-Hybrid. Your lights use 9012 bulbs and they ARE in fact 12V. By all means, check your owner's manual for confirmation. The owner's manual even lists it as a do-it-yourself maintenance item and provides instructions.

There's quite a bit of info on upgrading to LED bulbs which may or may not be what you're interested in. Regardless, I would seriously consider simply buying a 9012 bulb at any auto parts store (or online) and doing the swap yourself. It is quite literally 2 minutes:
1. Unplug the old bulb.
2. Twist about 60 degrees counter-clockwise and pull out the old bulb.
3. Reverse those two steps to put the new bulb in (but avoid touching the glass with your bare fingers as the oils can cause the bulb to fail prematurely - wear gloves or just don't touch the glass)

Definitely save yourself the money!!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This what they used:

Toyota Part No.: 90981-13102

PRODUCT DETAILS
Positions: Left, Right
Other Names: Bulb
Description:
RAV4, RAV4 hybrid. With halogen. Canada built, 2016-17, halogen lamps.
Notes: Included With Headlamp Assembly.

It's available online for around $65.

·
Registered
236 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Forgot to add... For what it's worth, when I got my RAV4 (used), it had 2 different brands of bulbs in the headlights. I think at some point the original owner replaced one or both and so by the time I got it they were mismatched, so AT LEAST one of them was NOT original / Toyota OEM. No voltage issues with either one. Both worked just fine...

·
Registered
229 Posts
This what they used:

Toyota Part No.: 90981-13102

PRODUCT DETAILS
Positions: Left, Right
Other Names: Bulb
Description:
RAV4, RAV4 hybrid. With halogen. Canada built, 2016-17, halogen lamps.
Notes: Included With Headlamp Assembly.

It's available online for around $65.
I installed LED headlights and foglights in my 2016 Hybrid XLE last year and have not looked back. They are brighter and you see much more clearly at night without blinding oncoming traffic. They ahve worked without issues and come with 2 year warranty.

Headlights - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LVXH6WR/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Foglights - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EYQ86OW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
OEM is certainly going to cost a lot simply because it's OEM... I have yet to find any real advantages to it. Perhaps this might be a better option (~$23): https://www.homedepot.com/p/Philips-HIR2-9012-Headlight-Bulb-1-Pack-9012LLB1/203654603

Philips is a very solid bulb manufacturer. It's the one I'd put in my RAV4 if I didn't have LEDs now...

Right why buy OEM when you can just get the Philips. I believe they are the OEM maker anyways and a lot cheaper. $80 for a bulb? that's just crazy.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I installed LED headlights and foglights in my 2016 Hybrid XLE last year and have not looked back. They are brighter and you see much more clearly at night without blinding oncoming traffic. They ahve worked without issues and come with 2 year warranty.

Headlights - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LVXH6WR/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Foglights - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EYQ86OW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This. So much this. LED or bust.

·
Registered
229 Posts
This. So much this. LED or bust.
These bulbs will end up costing a lot less than the replacement halogen bulbs that have a short lifespan. The OEM headlights and fog lights are rated for 700 hours. By comparison, the replacement LED lights I purchased are rated for 30,000 hours. I made the decision based on that I need longer lasting bulbs because I drive a lot when it is dark. It was an easy decision especially after researching and testing so many brands of bulbs.:smile

·
Registered
24 Posts

Thank you for the info and the links. Forgive me if this is going to be an amateur hour question, but will these bulbs work with 2017 XLE Hybrid Rav4 as well? And are they simply plug and play (plain ol' bulb swap)?

Thank you

·
Registered
229 Posts
Thank you for the info and the links. Forgive me if this is going to be an amateur hour question, but will these bulbs work with 2017 XLE Hybrid Rav4 as well? And are they simply plug and play (plain ol' bulb swap)?

Thank you
No worries, the 2017 XLE takes the same bulbs as the 2016 XLE. Yes they are plug and play it is really easy you should have no issues.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thank you very much, got another question for you. Does the automatic high beam feature and daytime running light feature remain the same with these LEDs?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts