Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Don't know about the Gen 4 headlamps but those on my Gen 3 are fine by my standards. Am not concerned about this and other IIHS tests - suspect that "poor" ratings may be excuses for raising insurance costs.:frown

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
I would love to see them test the headlights on the European RAV4--I'll bet it would score much higher.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have no personal experience with out Limited, because of daylight savings time here in the mountains. I am surprised that the LEDs did not do well. I wonder if Toyota can adjust them to do better in the test as indicated in the article. Seems like they would fix this issue as the Limited is supposed to be the top of the line with their LEDs.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It doesn't mention the year, but I'm assuming that it's for the 16 model year. I have no complaints about the headlights in my 15.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I specifically went up to the SE trim (had planned on XLE) for the LED headlights, which I find to be stunning. A pure white light that helps you see lots of stuff in the dark...kinda the whole point of headlights. I'm not sure what's missing there.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Strange. I can't delete this.

I too am impressed with the LEDs, they are the best headlights I've ever had.

·
Member-RAV4 ReGeneration
264 Posts
I also really like the headlights on my RAV4 Hybrid, and don't really care what others think.

Reactions: jlwatts

·
Registered
67 Posts
I also really like the headlights on my RAV4 Hybrid, and don't really care what others think.
I am 62 years old and have been driving on dark mountain roads for a long time in many different vehicles. These headlights on our RAV4 Hybrid Limited with the ATP are by far the best. I could care less about some so called expert's opinion about my headlights. I can see the road and the deer standing along side the road better than I ever have been able to.

·
Registered
1 Posts
When you click through the headlight test, they evaluated the RAV4 XLE halogen projector headlights. I hope they test the LED lights that my Limited has.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
When you click through the headlight test, they evaluated the RAV4 XLE halogen projector headlights. I hope they test the LED lights that my Limited has.
I think the LEDs were the last one on the list. And scored worse than the halogens!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LED headlights

They were actually tested further down in the post. Unfortunately, they did not fare well, but I still love mine!

·
Registered
124 Posts
I find the halogen headlights on the '16 Rav4 hybrid XLE to be practically useless. The right headlight seems to be pointing too far to the left and actually crosses the left beam at about 100-200 feet in front of the vehicle. Toyota says there's nothing wrong with them and there's no left-right adjustment. I'm pretty disgusted with the beam pattern and find the illumination sub-par in all respects to non-projector type headlamps I've had on other cars (including 2 Toyota Prius hybrids).

I would imagine the eastern-European markets get adjustable headlamp assemblies while the US doesn't. Wonder if it's possible to order from Europe? Maybe France or Germany?

·
Registered
25 Posts
The Rav4 halogen get better ratings than the POOR rated LEDs on Limited.
Vehicle details

Prius gets the best ratings of GOOD with LEDs.
Vehicle details

Aren't the Prius LED headlights the same as Rav4 LEDs but without auto high beams. Auto high beams were credited for improving the poor headlight performance of the Rav4. Go figure.

·
Registered
67 Posts
How about the folks that have the LED headlights all report about your experience using them vs what some so called experts say. They work great, better that any factory headlights on any other car I have owned or driven. We live in a rural area with loads of deer and no streetlights.
People commenting about something that they do not have or have not tried is pointless. By the way these lights do not need adjustment, their coverage is amazing to the front and the sides. The automatic high beams work well, even where there is no oncoming traffic.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts