Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have condensation trapped in one of my headlights.

Does anyone know the part # for the rubber gasket that sits along the top edge of the headlight assembly? It looks worn on the problematic headlight, but my local dealership said they can only sell a full headlight assembly and want to charge an arm and a leg to do so.

Alternatively, has anyone had a good experience with any of the aftermarket options? I have noticed the prices vary significantly, so I am assuming that so too does the quality.

Because they are 10 years old at this point, if I am going to go through the labor of replacing one, I might as well replace both headlights as the labor involved is the same regardless (minus 5 minutes to undo a few extra bolts). But if I can find a replacement gasket, I want to try that first. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
8,109 Posts
If I recall correctly there have been other 4.3 owners who have had the same problem and again if I recall it seems there there is a hole or crack in the headlamp assembly itself which permits water to get inside. The remedy was to use some permanent flexible sealant once the defect has been located. Replacing the headlight gasket did not solve the problem. Also if I recall some owners had replaced the headlight assembly itself and the replacement had the same leakage problem.

·
Super Moderator
9,413 Posts
Alternatively I've fixed many a condensed headlight permanently by drilling a small, say 1/16," hole in the lower corner of the plastic lens. It takes 5 minutes and the condensation will be gone in a couple days or less.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts