Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody! New here, first post!

Have a 2009 Base V6, it has a pretty noticeable hum coming from the front end, it gets louder as the truck accelerates. I thought it was the tires, they were overdue for replacement so I had new ones put on. The hum is still there after replacement. The brakes were just done in early November and this didn't start making noise until early December, so I'm counting that out too..

Any thoughts as to where I need to look next?

Thanks,

Tim

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,718 Posts
I would look at the wheel hub. Sounds like a bad bearing.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
if the noise changes when turning the wheel while on the highway it is most likely the wheel bearing...in fact i have not ever had one make that noise and it not be a bad wheel bearing...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Before you do anything crazy. Take a look at the rotor dust cover. It's the thin metal piece behind the rotor. Stick your hand through your wheel and push it back.

·
Registered
189 Posts
hello

if you did bluskie99's tip, that would work too. if not.

if you havent tried, i assume that it goes louder when you accelerate straightly. how would you like to test drive it again and try to simulate if the noise goes away when you turning left and right, and noise comes back when steering is centered.

if it does, most chance it is your hub bearing/s, to confirm, thats right! lift the wheels up and grab it to check if there's play vertical and horizontal play, if theres no play, check brake and suspension components again, rotate the tires one by one if you heard the noise from the centre hub, that could be a bad bearing. there's a possibility if you dont hear the noise, the hub bearing is/are just starting to wear out.

one more thing to check is the inboard cv joint shafts . check for leaks and excessive play. if no play, that could be your hub bearings.

thus, you really need to remove them and physically inspect. :) or replace them then test again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm having the same problem with my 2011. Once I confirm, I'm going to change out the bearing myself. I've been looking for a free downloadable service manual but haven't found anything. Can anyone point me in the direction of getting a free service manual? I did find the below listed video on YouTube. The task seems easy enough. My only concern is torque specs once putting it all back together.

https://youtu.be/mVO_emNmcr0?list=PLnU63xM1ln0nPMU0A1MedjfMKrSnt2QJb

Thoughts and guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Regards!

2011 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 4WD

1 - 6 of 6 Posts