Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be shopping for a 2006 to 2010 all wheel drive model with a 4 cylinder engine in the next month or two.

I'm trying to learn about any particular RAV4 major issues and symptoms of them to look out for when shopping. Advice would be appreciated. I am confident in my ability to find general issues that could be a problem with any brand or model of car, I'm only interested in RAV4 specific issues, such as common transmission or AWD problems.

I know it's not mechanical, but I wonder, are heated seats an option on these cars? If so, is there a particular trim level that I need to look for to get heated seats? My truck has them and they are awesome in the Winter.

Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
11,138 Posts
I know nothing of heated seats but there are some 4 cyl models you want to avoid at all costs. That would be 06-08 ( I believe) with the 2.4l engine. They are known oil burners and not even worth considering. A RAV with the 2.5l engine is what you want if you must have a 4 banger. If I recall correctly that would be 2009 forward.

Just a side note here......if you come across a V-6 2009+ DRIVE IT! MPG penalty is small and the power is intoxicating. Don't pass up a V-6 by being frugal. I get 20 MPG in town with the A/C on. Best highway was 28.9. No slouch for instant power anytime you need it on 87 octane.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excellent, did not know that. I could live with a V6, are they OK for 2006-2010?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
the v6 is the same from 06-12...if you get an 06-08 make sure the oil line repair has been done...was rubber, metal line is the replacement and is much stronger...

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
If you get a 4 cylinder get an '09 or later model with the newer 2.5L engine. The older 2.4L models aren't as peppy or economical and have had sporadic oil burning problems.

·
Super Moderator
11,138 Posts
Excellent, did not know that. I could live with a V6, are they OK for 2006-2010?
Yes but look for 2009-12 with the V-6. There were some stupid problems with the 06-08 models. If you are looking at a 06 -08 model make sure all recalls and TSB's have been done. Once that has been accomplished they run like a Toyota should.......knocks on wood and bought extended warranty :):confused:

·
Super Moderator
10,209 Posts
Love my '06 V6. At 125K it jumps & runs just like when I bought it at 75K! Yep, I did spend probably $100 on new coils. Only things newer ones have are electronic gizmos I have no interest in but if you need bluetooth, etc. you should shop newer.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info, that helps me narrow the search down. I don't really care about how peppy it is so will likely look for one with a 2.5 liter engine.

·
Super Moderator
10,209 Posts
Thanks for the info, that helps me narrow the search down. I don't really care about how peppy it is so will likely look for one with a 2.5 liter engine.
That would mean 2009 or later - including the 4.4 models which have the same 2.5L but with a six-speed automatic instead of a four-speed.
Also note that with any of the 4-cylinder models towing is limited to 1500 lbs if that applies to your situation.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That would mean 2009 or later - including the 4.4 models which have the same 2.5L but with a six-speed automatic instead of a four-speed.
Also note that with any of the 4-cylinder models towing is limited to 1500 lbs if that applies to your situation.
My goal is to get one with "high" miles, from a state where rust is a non-issue, fly out to get it, and drive it home. I live in NH and if I buy new, it will rust out before it wears out. If I can find one with 100,000 to 150,000 miles and no rust, with luck, it will wear out and rust out at the same time, and I'll save a ton of money. I'll also get to take a cool road trip, something I enjoy.

It will never be used to tow anything, I have a turbo-diesel equipped GMC truck that I own specifically for towing. The Rav4 will be mostly used by my wife as a daily driver. If it proves to be more comfortable than my truck (not likely) or my Matrix (quite likely) for long trips, we'll use it for that too.

·
Super Moderator
10,209 Posts
My goal is to get one with "high" miles, from a state where rust is a non-issue, fly out to get it, and drive it home. I live in NH and if I buy new, it will rust out before it wears out. If I can find one with 100,000 to 150,000 miles and no rust, with luck, it will wear out and rust out at the same time, and I'll save a ton of money. I'll also get to take a cool road trip, something I enjoy.

It will never be used to tow anything, I have a turbo-diesel equipped GMC truck that I own specifically for towing. The Rav4 will be mostly used by my wife as a daily driver. If it proves to be more comfortable than my truck (not likely) or my Matrix (quite likely) for long trips, we'll use it for that too.
Very similar to my situation & thoughts. Higher mileage especially on a newer vehicle doesn't bother me, just reduces the price. Being from CT I also wanted a rust-free southern car.

Found our RAV4 online at a dealer in Melbourne FL, flew to Orlando ($99), they picked me up and I drove it home - pretty much the same trip I've been making every March with my F-250 & dyno trailer to Daytona.
Also flew to GA for the Accord.

One comment on ride quality, especially if you're flying somewhere to pick up a RAV4 - avoid the Sport model or at least take an extended test ride in one locally before distance buying. If you've done any reading on them you'll note that the ride is at minimum firm and at worst harsh. Seems that those who want to carve corners w/o body lean like it but neither my wife or I would. I like the Limited's suspension and for the sunroof and Climate Control. A base would ride the same but w/o those two options.

On the heated seats: My RAV4 doesn't have them but has my preference, cloth seats. Both my Accord and 2001 Lariat have heated leather seats. I consider leather a nice looking downgrade because they are cold in winter (until the heat starts working) and hot in summer. They are in the truck because I got a fantastic deal on it and don't drive it all winter and in the Accord because they came with the V6 Hybrid model I wanted.

·
Registered
115 Posts

I have an 07 RAV4 V6 which I use up here in the Great White North where we live next to Salt Water, and use Salt on the roads all winter long (about 6 months of the year).

Whenever I need someone else to look at my vehicle like for a Government Motor Vehicle Inspection (yearly) I always get comments on how little to no rust there is on it. The reason, I spray it with Rust Check (Undercoating) every year. I do not have so much as a bolt head showing rust and it only costs me about $35 per year to keep it this way.

You may want to seriously look at an option like this. Being a Toyota and all, you will be burying that GMC before the RAV quits if you keep the body good. LOL

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have an 07 RAV4 V6 which I use up here in the Great White North where we live next to Salt Water, and use Salt on the roads all winter long (about 6 months of the year).

Whenever I need someone else to look at my vehicle like for a Government Motor Vehicle Inspection (yearly) I always get comments on how little to no rust there is on it. The reason, I spray it with Rust Check (Undercoating) every year. I do not have so much as a bolt head showing rust and it only costs me about $35 per year to keep it this way.

You may want to seriously look at an option like this. Being a Toyota and all, you will be burying that GMC before the RAV quits if you keep the body good. LOL
Thanks, I will use fluid film on the underside to prevent rust as long as possible, like I do on my truck.

Not so sure the GMC is going to wear out any time soon, these diesel engines can easily last a million miles. The Allison transmission and Eaton axle (11.5" ring gear) are quite rugged as well. All the chassis wear items are easily and cheaply replaceable and if you keep the body rot at bay, they can be kept running forever. See: Couple Put 1.2 Million Miles On Family Truck In 7 Years

·
Registered
115 Posts
Thanks, I will use fluid film on the underside to prevent rust as long as possible, like I do on my truck.

Not so sure the GMC is going to wear out any time soon, these diesel engines can easily last a million miles. The Allison transmission and Eaton axle (11.5" ring gear) are quite rugged as well. All the chassis wear items are easily and cheaply replaceable and if you keep the body rot at bay, they can be kept running forever. See: Couple Put 1.2 Million Miles On Family Truck In 7 Years
Sorry, was not trying to pick on your truck. When I worked for a GM dealership back 97-02 the Diesel Engines were simply a 350 block bored out and converted over to diesel with sleeves in the cylinders (Actually had one in my Snap-On Tools Truck). Those engines were under powered, and prone to cracked blocks and bad injectors.

I have been out of the industry long enough and forgot GM wised up and introduced a proper Diesel into the market.....still stand by my statement that the Rav will last a long long time though....LOL

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry, was not trying to pick on your truck.
No worries, and no need to apologize. Those early converted gas engines were really bad. My LBZ (2007 classic) GMC is my first truck and I am very impressed with it. It has 191,000 miles and operates like new. I'm shopping for a Toyota specifically because they seem to last forever.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I bought a loaded (leather, GPS, sunroof, heated seats, 4WD, backup camera,V6) 2010 Limited today. Opting to have it shipped up from South Carolina rather than drive it home. I bought it from a BMW dealer and used a 3rd party service to inspect it (they said it was great) before I pulled the trigger. Fingers are crossed that it's a good one. Thanks so much for your advice.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,761 Posts
I bought a loaded (leather, GPS, sunroof, heated seats, 4WD, backup camera,V6) 2010 Limited today. Opting to have it shipped up from South Carolina rather than drive it home. I bought it from a BMW dealer and used a 3rd party service to inspect it (they said it was great) before I pulled the trigger. Fingers are crossed that it's a good one. Thanks so much for your advice.
Sounds great! What is the mileage on it? Where are you located?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sounds great! What is the mileage on it? Where are you located?
It has 125k miles. I wanted one with high miles, keeps the cost down. I do all my own work and have no qualms about turning a wrench.

I live in New Hampshire.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Congrats Dave - excellent choice.

I like it when someone looks for a 4 cyl. and pulls the trigger on the v6.
- after driving your 2010 RAV4 Limited, for a few days / lets us know if you regret having ~269 HP, under the hood?...LOL

My wife's 2008 RAV4 Limited v6, has heated wipers/side mirrors plus the heated leather seats.
- your SO is going to love her new ride

We found our 7 year old, low mileage RAV4 & corrosion free, right in the Northern rust belt.
- undercarriage & floor pans, still had all of the factory shiny black paint
An annual wax-oil spray undercoating, will keep it looking good for a another decade or more.

I'm also a GM truck guy, my DD was a 1998 Silverado 4x4, 2500HD with 5.7L.
- owned for 8 yrs. now
But I just bought a mint 2000 4Runner SR5, v6-4x4, low mileage, 1 owner (for myself) / so my Chev. truck is starting to sit parked now...Toyota brand, hard not to like !!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Congrats Dave - excellent choice.

I like it when someone looks for a 4 cyl. and pulls the trigger on the v6.
- after driving your 2010 RAV4 Limited, for a few days / lets us know if you regret having ~269 HP, under the hood?...LOL

My wife's 2008 RAV4 Limited v6, has heated wipers/side mirrors plus the heated leather seats.
- your SO is going to love her new ride

We found our 7 year old, low mileage RAV4 & corrosion free, right in the Northern rust belt.
- undercarriage & floor pans, still had all of the factory shiny black paint
An annual wax-oil spray undercoating, will keep it looking good for a another decade or more.

I'm also a GM truck guy, my DD was a 1998 Silverado 4x4, 2500HD with 5.7L.
- owned for 8 yrs. now
But I just bought a mint 2000 4Runner SR5, v6-4x4, low mileage, 1 owner (for myself) / so my Chev. truck is starting to sit parked now...Toyota brand, hard not to like !!
I'm sure I'll like the power, but my daily driver in the warmer months (Kawasaki ZX9R) does 0-60 MPH in 2.9 seconds :surprise, so it's hard for me to get really excited about the acceleration of most cars :D.

My wife is very excited about getting this car, we don't buy cars very often. I hope to get at least 15 years of use and at least 250k miles from it.

Those 3rd generation 4Runners are great. A friend of mine has a 99 that he bought new and maintains religiously, it's been virtually trouble free. Enjoy it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts