Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am Jesse Williams and I am new here. I was wondering why type of oil we should put in my sister's 2004 RAV4 4WD. It has 230k on it.

Thanks!

- Jesse Williams

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,889 Posts
The correct oil type is usually printed or embossed on the oil filler cap. If not, did she get an owner's manual? It should be in there as well.

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,889 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Most times if the timing chain has been replaced the mechanic should put a sticker on the chain cover that lists the date and or milage. If the chain is wore the vehicle will idle rough and the chain will make xtra noise when moving at idle and acceleration. I have not heard of chains needing replacing at 250000 miles but it depends more on the vehicle use and how well it was cared
for. I have owned cars over that
milage and they ran fine. ( if its not broke don't fix it)

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
As a 2004 owner have your sister check the oil level often. Around 60,000 miles they start to use oil. Mine has 130,000 miles and I already use an extra quart in 5,000 miles.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Most times if the timing chain has been replaced the mechanic should put a sticker on the chain cover that lists the date and or milage. If the chain is wore the vehicle will idle rough and the chain will make xtra noise when moving at idle and acceleration. I have not heard of chains needing replacing at 250000 miles but it depends more on the vehicle use and how well it was cared
for. I have owned cars over that
milage and they ran fine. ( if its not broke don't fix it)

It runs excellent.

- Jesse Williams

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would personally use something a bit thicker than a W30 on something with that many miles.

That's what my mother thought as well. She didn't like the fact that it had a lot of mileage on it. But, my sister and I told her that it's a Toyota. They run forever.

- Jesse Williams

·
Super Moderator
11,457 Posts
EVERY SINGLE WEEK. The 2.4l engine is problematic and burns a lot of oil. Not every one mind mind you but the vast majority do. It is a reliable engine overall but oil consumption is indeed a known problem. The engine design was changed in 2009 to correct it.

Love Bama by the way........lived in B'ham, Jasper, Cullman, Hartselle. That was a long time ago and I still miss it today. When I hear Sweet Home Alabama I crank up all 500 watts in my car.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
EVERY SINGLE WEEK. The 2.4l engine is problematic and burns a lot of oil. Not every one mind mind you but the vast majority do. It is a reliable engine overall but oil consumption is indeed a known problem. The engine design was changed in 2009 to correct it.

Love Bama by the way........lived in B'ham, Jasper, Cullman, Hartselle. That was a long time ago and I still miss it today. When I hear Sweet Home Alabama I crank up all 500 watts in my car.
Okay. Thanks for the information.

Yes, I was born and raised in Alabama. I am originally from Moody, Alabama but we moved to Pell City, Alabama in 2002 or 2003. My mom is originally from Pell City. My dad was born in Georgia but was originally from Belk, Alabama (Fayette County, Alabama). My late grandmother was from Northport, Alabama. By the way, my sister's Toyota was bought in Jasper at Scott Crump Toyota. Whoever had it before her, bought it from there. From what we can see from the records from Toyota on it, it has been well maintained. She bought it in Tuscaloosa. She had a Jaguar, but she sold it. My mother has a Jeep Patriot.

Anyways, nice talking to you and glad to hear you are from Bama.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My Aunt has owned 3 Toyotas (3 Camrys). Never given her a problem. Her first one was a 1998 or 1999 that she has forever. They traded it in for a 2004 XLE. I don't know why they traded it in so soon, but they traded it in for a 2007 model XLE.

- Jesse Williams

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,889 Posts
Don't forget about Rainbow City!! My dad was from Oxford, which was small compared to Anniston, but over the years Oxford grew and Anniston shrunk. Still visit my relatives in Gadsden.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Don't forget about Rainbow City!! My dad was from Oxford, which was small compared to Anniston, but over the years Oxford grew and Anniston shrunk. Still visit my relatives in Gadsden.

Yep, I've been to Rainbow City as well. We go to Oxford to see the latest movie out. As you know Oxford, has a movie theater in their mall (Quintard Mall).

- Jesse Williams

·
Super Moderator
11,457 Posts
I did forget! I lived in Rainbow City and worked at Buck's Island Marina right on the river. Loved it.

Jesse I'm not from Bama originally. I lived there for about ten years or so.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts