Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Folks,
Came off a CRV, enjoying the 2008 Rav4 with only 120k kms, has an awesome gearing ratio & pep. I realise the 4 speed tranny doesnt frequently shift on slight uphill on the hwys as opposed to the CRV (2005)with 5 speed that was annoying shifting even for slight inclines. Here is my question....the headlight are unusually dim from what i notice during night hwy driving, the lens isnt faded, they look new and clear. Anyone have similar issues. hope some of you may have suggestions for a good suggestive U/G. Inputs appreciated. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
11,804 Posts
I'd replace the stock halogen bulbs with LEDs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With some diggin here found this..might be of use i guess..
Silverstars, Cool Blues, Ultras and Nighthawks all tweak the output, beam pattern and color temperature to give slightly better light (or some will say, an illusion of slightly better light) while still meeting the very conservative DOT standards. It's done at the cost of greatly reduced bulb life - typically 250 to 60 hours, compared to 1000 to 320 for the stock halogen bulbs. This makes them an especially bad proposition for people driving with their headlights on in daytime (as opposed to DRLs which use reduced voltage in the day to prolong bulb life).

If you want better light with minimal fuss the best way is to go to your John Deere tractor dealer and buy a couple AH211917 bulbs for about $27 apiece. These are new-technology 9012 high output halogens, that can replace the 9006s and put out a almost double the light, with bulb life as good or better than the stock halogens. They can also be bought over the net and on eBay.

There's also a 9011 HIR high beam version to replace the 9005, but JD doesn't carry it though net and ebay vendors do.

·
Super Moderator
11,804 Posts
Also have a look at the ground wire connection for the lights - if they are rusty, I would clean them up fully
A defective ground usually shows up as weak low beams with partially lit high beams when the lows are on.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
17,076 Posts
With some diggin here found this..might be of use i guess..

Silverstars, Cool Blues, Ultras and Nighthawks all tweak the output, beam pattern and color temperature to give slightly better light (or some will say, an illusion of slightly better light) while still meeting the very conservative DOT standards. It's done at the cost of greatly reduced bulb life - typically 250 to 60 hours.
I sent you a PM. Look for it under Conversations.

·
Super Moderator
11,804 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Rav4 4Cyl manual
6 Posts
My headlights were very dim and I needed stronger lights so I switched to LEDs which also fail less with the strong vibrations of frequent offroading. I use the Hikari Ultra on my car and was able to install them myself without a problem, very nice beam pattern both on high and low beam (2007 Rav4). But they are VERY strong, illegal in some countries (I have no clue about US or different states of the US but they would be illegal in Germany for example) and you really need to be careful to switch to low beam at the first second you see anything resembling another vehicle in the distance as you will blind them quite strongly otherwise.

A part from that: Easy to install, good beam pattern, much stronger light output, better bulb life (at least in my case), what else do you want?

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
17,076 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My headlights were very dim and I needed stronger lights so I switched to LEDs which also fail less with the strong vibrations of frequent offroading. I use the Hikari Ultra on my car and was able to install them myself without a problem, very nice beam pattern both on high and low beam (2007 Rav4). But they are VERY strong, illegal in some countries (I have no clue about US or different states of the US but they would be illegal in Germany for example) and you really need to be careful to switch to low beam at the first second you see anything resembling another vehicle in the distance as you will blind them quite strongly otherwise.

A part from that: Easy to install, good beam pattern, much stronger light output, better bulb life (at least in my case), what else do you want?
Hey Where did you buy them.?

·
Registered
2007 Rav4 4Cyl manual
6 Posts
Hey Where did you buy them.?
On Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077B7GJ5J/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

I run this lights for 3-4 years now, there might be slightly better ones today so maybe check the newer LEDs. And there are models from other companies that are probably similarly good, but I have had good experience with these. So far didn't fail or age at all. naturally CANBUS error free.

The beam is quite focused and cutoff line is quite clear - which I like but some like a little "bigger" area... my beam height didn't need much adjustment.

·
Registered
131 Posts
My headlight progression:

Headlights were bad to decent but not bright compared to performance vehicles I've had. Tried different aiming and it didnt matter.

I added foglights for close fill and that helped me feel better for a while. I also oddly like having stock looking low beams (did not want crazy bulbs in a reflector) so I thought I might put some LED or HID in the fogs but never did. Also I live in a city so I can't go around blinding people as there are adequate streetlights 99% of the time.

Then I started a headlight build but ended up putting in OEM euro projectors.

I may add a discrete light bar for absurd excess fun lighting in the future.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts