Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a Pioneer AVH-210EX into the Rav and the USB random/shuffle function is awful. The stock stereo would play random songs from random folders from a thumb drive perfectly (~60gb worth, every album in own folder with no sub folders). I'd rarely hear the same song or artist in a week.

The 210EX....not so much. It picks about 2 to 3 folders when it starts up and only plays songs from those folders unless I manually select another folder. At that time, it selects another 2 to 3 folders. Sometimes when hitting the next button it will play the next song in the current folder or jump to the other pre-selected folder and play a song from there.
Needless to say I'll be returning this pile of trash but I was wondering who has some first hand experience with other manufacturers? I don't want anything crazy - just need a usb input, wheel controls, and backup camera input. Don't use any phone integration and could care less about bluetooth.
Kenwood, Sony, and JVC are the only other vendors that come to mind (not going to go Boss or some generic China stuff). I have an older Sony in my IS (old as in no USB, I think I installed it in 2004!) and that shuffles through mp3 albums on a CD fine.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
You do know some of the name brands are also made in China.

I got mine from AliExpress. It runs Android 8 . 8" screen ,GPS had it for over a year and no problems so far.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I have a base model do no streering controls but I believe they come with it. You would just have to make sure the model you get has them included.

BTW. If you have the JBL SYSTEM they need a completely different wire harness.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you manage to use the steering controls?
Yeah, the Crux SWRTY-61N harness does that. Note - that specific harness is for 2012. There's a different harness for the previous years to retain wheel functionality. Super easy to wire in and set up.

In regards to my original post - I tried a Kenwood DDX396 and it executes the usb shuffle perfectly. So for an extra $40 I got exactly what I needed.
The Pioneer's menus were easier to navigate, the orange background option looked good in the Rav, and it booted quickly.
The Kenwood is a little slower on boot (but it's only like 10 seconds or so). Kenwood backup camera system allows for setting up guidelines on the display, which is nice. I haven't played with the visual settings much but there is an orange option for the buttons so I'll get it to blend into the stock lighting.
Both sound the same with the stock speakers so I can't compare there. Kenwood seems to have a few more EQ / Sound field options, so over time I'll tweak and tune those in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts