Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick intro - I picked up my Rav4 Hybrid Limited with the tech package last week. I have just about finished programming everything and reading through the phone-book sized user guides. So if anyone has questions, ask away!
Mileage has been great so far. About 1/4 tank left from the dealer's initial fillup, averaging about 38. The best trip was 43 mpg over 80 mi on a warm christmas eve.
Sorry the pic isn't better, it has been rain/mist/fog or dark for the past 8 days. I haven't even seen it in the sun yet. :serious

Attachments

·
Registered
240 Posts
Just a quick intro - I picked up my Rav4 Hybrid Limited with the tech package last week...Mileage has been great so far. About 1/4 tank left from the dealer's initial fillup, averaging about 38. The best trip was 43 mpg over 80 mi on a warm christmas eve.
I think we potential buyers would like to see the calculated mileage from at least a couple of tanks along with the estimated % of city vs highway driving. Computer mileage readouts are almost always wildly optimistic.

Congrats on the purchase.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, and don't worry, I have a spreadsheet ready to go. I hope it is at least somewhat close. My Honda CR-Z display reads only 0.28 MPG or 0.58% higher than actual.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Owner of a 2016 RAV4 Limited Hybrid as of 12/26. Re-fueled 320 miles into the dealer's tank of gas while the pooter still showed 90 miles range left. Calculations after the fill-up shows that we got 33.4 miles to the gallon. Not bad, considering that some of the driving was "let's see what this baby can do" stomping on the accelerator and 120 of the 320 miles were highway 65 mph - the rest was random city and short runs on interstate. I did see a thread a few days ago for reporting real world MPG's - but now it appears to be gone. Am I daft? My wife (principal driver) and I are LOVING this new sweet ride. Magnetic Gray with Cinnamon (Terra Cotta) softex, AT package, tonneau cover and mud guards. Color us HAPPY. Woot!

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Most of the hybrids will show a MPG value on the dash that is around 2MPG better than the actual calculated MPG will be. But its usually consistently different, and any variation is usually due to difference in the top-off. Fuelly is a great place to keep track, it provides lots of good stats.

How big is the tank in the Rav4?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Thanks, and don't worry, I have a spreadsheet ready to go. I hope it is at least somewhat close. My Honda CR-Z display reads only 0.28 MPG or 0.58% higher than actual.
Looking forward to the numbers as they accumulate. We probably won't be making a purchase until spring. Whatever mileage you get will be way (as in WAY) better than our 2004 Highlander V6. We're lucky to get 22 mpg on the highway and only mid-teens around town.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Most of the hybrids will show a MPG value on the dash that is around 2MPG better than the actual calculated MPG will be. But its usually consistently different, and any variation is usually due to difference in the top-off. Fuelly is a great place to keep track, it provides lots of good stats.

How big is the tank in the Rav4?
It's too bad we cannot enter in a multiplier to tweek the computers onboard mpg calculator to calibrate it to actual mpg, like a .95 multiplier...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looking forward to the numbers as they accumulate. We probably won't be making a purchase until spring. Whatever mileage you get will be way (as in WAY) better than our 2004 Highlander V6. We're lucky to get 22 mpg on the highway and only mid-teens around town.
Yeah definitely, I traded in my '06 Tacoma which averaged about 21 winter / 25 summer. It was the 4cyl 5MT too. Now the challenge is to see how close I can get to my CR-Z numbers. :wink

It's too bad we cannot enter in a multiplier to tweek the computers onboard mpg calculator to calibrate it to actual mpg, like a .95 multiplier...
This seems like an excellent Entune app idea! But it would mean Toyota admitting their calculations are wrong, and I'm not sure if Entune has access to vehicle data like fuel level or consumption. I know it can see the odometer since it is able to set service reminders.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I'll bet the computer's variation from actual varies from tank to tank, depending on the mix of highway and city driving.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I'll bet the computer's variation from actual varies from tank to tank, depending on the mix of highway and city driving.
True, but from my past vehicles, the computer was always exaggerating the mpg and for the most part, it was fairly consistent on its exaggeration. I think the only times it really varied from its normal exaggeration was when I went to a different gas station company or was towing. Just be nice to have the option to calibrate it.

·
Super Moderator
11,138 Posts
Enjoy your previously impossible miles per gallon. I am also curious how the dash reads to actual. I think it will be very close frankly.......what's a tenth or two?

·
Registered
7 Posts
i'm 3 tanks in and average is 34-35mpg (real world)

reserve fuel in the hybrid is over 2 gallons.... i may push my luck soon to see how far we can go once the screen shows 0 kms left to travel

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
i'm 3 tanks in and average is 34-35mpg (real world)

reserve fuel in the hybrid is over 2 gallons.... i may push my luck soon to see how far we can go once the screen shows 0 kms left to travel
It won't let you run dry. What it will do is shut down the ICE and force you to limp on in EV mode till the battery discharges. Then you're all done. :crying

·
Registered
211 Posts
Just a quick intro - I picked up my Rav4 Hybrid Limited with the tech package last week. I have just about finished programming everything and reading through the phone-book sized user guides. So if anyone has questions, ask away!
I saw someone ask the question in a different thread; does it have a CD player? I see the specs say it does, but the owners manual only gives CD operation instructions for the basic deck, not the 'better' deck that comes in the limited. Is the CD loading slot behind the touchscreen like the highlander?

·
Registered
240 Posts
I saw someone ask the question in a different thread; does it have a CD player? I see the specs say it does, but the owners manual only gives CD operation instructions for the basic deck, not the 'better' deck that comes in the limited. Is the CD loading slot behind the touchscreen like the highlander?
Based on looking at the window sticker on various Rav4s, I believe it comes with a CD player as standard. If you add one of the "technology" packages, then the CD player goes away.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Since the upgrade from Entune Audio Plus to Entune Premium Audio involves the touchscreen sizing up to 7.1" (from 6.4"?), it looks like the new surface area required that the CD player go away. (Wheathead Disclaimer: This is my supposition only - NOT legally referenced nor researched in the library of Congress). I got a separate owner's manual for the "Navigation and Multimedia System" - presumably because of all of the whoopty-doo stuff the touchscreen is capable of displaying.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts