Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Mensa
In the UK this product is sold as Apollo Universal Closed Air Intake System and is made by K/N. It has a capability of handling 300 BHP. It retails for about £200 and has been available for about 12 months.It has acotton gauze filter cone.
Hopes this helps!
Clare

B

·
0 Posts
Better Gas Mileage?!

I am new to the RAV4 world and i was just wondering if anyone had any tips on better gas mileage?! I am used to a 2001 Toyota Celica and now having the 1998 Rav4 i have noticed a SIGNIFICANT loss of MPG!!! I replaced my pcv valve(mind you i know NOTHING about cars) and I was told to get a k&n filter. Any other suggestions?! right now i am only getting 20-22 mpg on my AWD Rav. thanks!!

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess if you install a header it will help a great deal. If you have the 3SFE engine. You can buy it at Summit Racing for about $156.00. Use Castrol 5W-30 oil, but if you bought your RAV4 used, I'd recommend a Motor Flush also, then go to the Castrol oil specified above. Check your gearbox/transmission/axle oil. Change if necessary to Toyota specifications.. I could recommend some other stuff but they are pricey. Let me know if you are interested.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
bluecelica01, what was your mileage before the loss? Your 20-22 MPG seems about right to me. I too have a 1998 RAV4 (mine's a 2WD auto) and average about the same mileage as you since owning it 5 years ago.

The performance mods. certainly doesn't help, but I've noticed that I haven't really lost much MPG either. I do have a heavy right foot, so that probably attributes to the mileage that I've been obtaining. :D

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, the filter is on its way. I'll just install it like Mohit [moza] did. I guess with the Header and this type of filter you are making a lot more power. Am I correct Moza? I'm noticing that my engine is running too rich. Sometimes you hear some pops coming from the exhaust. I guess next step is the Pivot A/F controller.

How is it running right know you might ask? Great speed. But I think I can get some more if I can lean out the mixture at high RPM. Mileage is suffering a little though. But I'll get everything straighten out soon. I say again, great speed. It pulls away from cars like if they were standing still.

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Moza, were or better yet, how did you move the water jug. I see it in the corner in the above picture. The bottom Jug support bracket has to go [It's really the old OEM filter box] What material or parts did you use to move it to its new location?

I've been doing some pocking around in the net. Asking how much more power I could expect. They tell me that this setup can get from 5 to 7 more HP. A cold shoot of air, will make the engine breath a lot better. Then the Header will give it a lot more at high gear.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Derek originally gave me the idea to move the coolant jug to where it is now. You can use the same top bracket that holds the jug in place now...just rotate it 90° and bolt it to the bolt that holds the relay box in place. All you'll need is some longer rubber hose to connect the coolant jug to the radiator.

When i did my CAI i did loose some low end power but mid range and top picked up quite a bit. But with the recent header installation the low end power is more than before. You might not notice this as u already have the header done.

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Some of you guys [and the latino from South America who emailed me] want to know what the hell am I thinking of. Here is what I have in mind. Why? Because as you can see, it is a frontal shoot of cold air directly to the K&N Apollo filter. The curves will be PVC. But the pipe will be flexible aluminum with DEI Thermo-Tec over it. Why? Because aluminum conducts heat and i have to try to keep the cold air as cold as possible, filter it, then it will enter the engine. The colder the air the better. I can pick up from 5 to 7 HP. Of course the splash tray will be used. I'll have to make an opening. Use fiberglass, a friend of mine even suggested Epoxy [?] and make a mold.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts