Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

New Late 2021 and 2022 RAV4 EGR Crankcase Vent TSB

380 7
More details on NHTSA site. Includes other Toyota and Lexus models.

Attachments

• Helpful
Reactions: 14v6
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2021 RAV4 XLE Premium Hybrid
1,982 Posts
More details on NHTSA site. Includes other Toyota and Lexus models.
Thanks Taz. That's a really scary one. If you have the problem, you have to dismantle just about everything on the front of the engine, including the intake manifold! You know you are in trouble when the service campaign specifically calls for the dealer to use their most highly trained, most experienced technicians to do the work. Not sure I would trust any dealer to do this on my car.

I could not find anywhere that lists the specific VIN numbers involved. Do you know where I can find that?

Thanks again.

· Registered
2021 Rav 4 XLE gas engine
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I could not find anywhere that lists the specific VIN numbers involved. Do you know where I can find that?
Here you are. This is a Special Service Campaign--not a recall or TSB. Only applies to the late manufactured 2021s and earlier 2022s. Details in attached pdf.

Attachments

· Registered
21 RAV4 XLE Premium AWD Gas
168 Posts
There are a lot of WARNING's and this one is scarry...
Do NOT allow the engine to idle for more than 20 seconds. Damage will occur to the engine oil seals.

While reading the next line on what to do, 45 seconds go by.
I see a whole lot that can go wrong in this..
Not sure to just leave it alone...Anyone...?

· Registered
900 Posts
Thanks for the info.
I'll need to share with with a friend who purchased in February 2022. Although it looks like it wasn't affecting the Hybrids in February.

I've never had a vehicle that needed to be somewhat disassembled.
Heaven forbid I jump onto the Toyota bandwagon and end up needed major work.

ha
I take back my statement, I did have a head gasket let go on a 1983 Mercury Lynx around 1991 or 1992. A 9 year old vehicle vs a 3 month vehicle though. haha

My build was July 2022 so hopefully I am not one of 5,000 units.

· Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not sure to just leave it alone...Anyone...?
Heaven forbid I jump onto the Toyota bandwagon
I don't know that it is worthwhile to have a dealer do this major tear down procedure. It is a Special Service Campaign and that means it is NOT a recall that really should be done every time. It is not even a TSB which is a good idea to have done if convenient and you are experiencing the condition it fixes. This Service Campaign seems to be addressing an EMISSIONS problem only--not something that affects how the engine runs (please correct me if I'm wrong). This EGR fault possibly could affect gas mileage long term. Also if you live in a place requiring periodic emissions testing for registration renewal it may cause you problems. Otherwise, it seems like this major EGR procedure may cause more problems than it cures if the service tech f*#ks it up.

· Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I could not find anywhere that lists the specific VIN numbers involved.
On the Toyota Nation forum in the 8th gen Camry sub forum (same 2.5 engine as our RAVs) one owner has already received a letter from Toyota about this Special Service Campaign. Hopefully only those owners with the problem vehicles will be notified and not a mass mailing to everyone.

· Registered
21 RAV4 XLE Premium AWD Gas
168 Posts
Our 21 was manufactured in 11/2020 so we should be in the clear at least on this... what a mess to fix or not to fix, sorry for those who have to face this Question~!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts