Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put this on R4O also, but have been looking forward to posting here as well. For Christmas I got an aftermarket two-tone leather interior with heated seats! :D

Pics below were taken indoors at night with flash, hence the oddly pearly-shiny look, but they are in fact normal car leather.

I particularly like the blue door panels, and of course the seat heaters when it's cold (this week has been a nice toasty 40 degrees F. so no real need for the heaters, but last week was cold).

Don't think Ricky was left off Santa's list. A pic of his leather seats is HERE.

Becky

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, JMEaT! They're through Katzkin Leather. It just happened that someone who is a client at the law office where I work owns the auto trim shop in town that is a Katzkin authorized dealer. They have a website at www.katzkin.com where you can check for authorized dealers in your area, or if you're particularly talented you can buy a Katzkin kit to install yourself at www.autoleathers.com.

Becky

J

·
0 Posts
Thanks Becky. It might be a future project for me to consider. How much did you end up paying if you don't mind my asking?

·
Registered
986 Posts
Now for all you newbies, what Becky did was a GOOD modification to her car. It looks nice and adds more value to the overall appearance of the car.

BAD modifications include:

- Those decals you put on the top of your windshield, especially the ones with chinese characters
- Fake chrome exhaust tips with blinking LEDs
- Altezza-type tail lights, they have gotten really old
- Stickers for mods you don't have
- Colored rims that match the color of the car, ie: white rims on a white car
- Large spoilers, especially big metal ones
- Putting Type-R stickers on a car that's not an Acura Type-R (my brother hates that because he drives a real Type-R)

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JMEaT, the leather front seats, back seats, and door panels installed were $900. I think that included a professional courtesy discount (due to my boss being the installer's attorney), but to be honest I was happy enough with the price that I didn't ask specifically if I was getting a discount. I think if you get the basic kit (no piping, no perforated leather, etc.) from autoleathers.com it's $750.

Another good thing about the new interior...mmmmmm it smells great!

Jeff, I'm at least partly guilty of one item on your list, but none of the others. I had on the 4.1 Rav and will get again on this one (when I get around to it) custom cut vinyl lettering across the top of the windshield that says "Toyota" and a Toyota logo. It's visible in one of my R4W galleries, member number 370. No strip and definitely no Chinese characters, so I'm only a little guilty! :wink:

Becky

J

·
0 Posts
Hmm, I think I'll take a cruse this summer instead of dropping that much on some leather seats. :p

You can cuff me too Jeff, I have a TRD decal on the rear door of my Rav. :)

R

·
0 Posts
Becky this is probably a stupid question, but I assume you do not have side air bags and side curtain airbags, right?

·
Registered
986 Posts
A TRD decal is acceptable, I just hate those kids who put all those cheeseball sticker on their riced-out civics.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I have a question to all of you that have TRD stickers. I don't have those cuz I think that if a "racer" (in one of those little Hondas or whatever) sees a car with those, that person might want to race you, and plus, I'm not into that. But I was wondering, has this happened to any of you?

·
Premium Member
3,345 Posts
runciter said:
Becky this is probably a stupid question, but I assume you do not have side air bags and side curtain airbags, right?
Appears Becky has stepped out for awhile... so I'll answer :lol:

Yes, I'm pretty sure her RAV4 has side air bags, because she mentioned elsewhere that Katzkin leather covers have a $51 million side airbag guarantee/insurance 8)

http://www.katzkin.com/SITE/HTML/index.html

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LOL! Thanks Kelly! I must've been punchy the other day when I was reading the boards, because I missed runciter's question entirely. Duh!

Yes, side airbags were on my short list of "must-haves" when I was Rav shopping. Katzkin is one of the few leather interiors I could find that stated (and as Kelly mentioned, guaranteed) that the side airbags would function with the new interior. I had checked a number of others that specifically did not. When I called PB Leathers to ask about it, the dude actually told me that side airbags aren't that good anyway!

Becky

·
Registered
9 Posts
Kelly Smith said:
Yes, I'm pretty sure her RAV4 has side air bags, because she mentioned elsewhere that Katzkin leather covers have a $51 million side airbag guarantee/insurance 8)
Has anyone seen an explanation anyplace how these side airbags work ? Is it something like so much of pressure that they simply rip the fabric of the seat apart, and an additional leather cover would have to have some form of weak stitching to be ripped apart too ?

Really wondering. I had to go through some trouble to get the bloody side airbags on my '04 here in CA, so now i'm curious about their exact operations - only i don't want to take them out for a test run 8) (no, they do not sell RAV4 with side airbags in CA, don't ask me why, the responsible regional toyota organization probably thinks people in california believe more in good weather than spending money on safety - or are suicidal by nature :? )

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't get it either why airbags are a regional option. If I'm remembering correctly, the dealer here told me I wouldn't be able to get them here (which became moot when I found out I couldn't get anything else I wanted here either).

Anyway, yes, I did a bunch of research on the side airbags and have good info on how they work for you. Follow this link:
http://www.katzkin.com/SITE/HTML/seats.shtml
and then click on "Airbag video" (left column, on the bottom). I know that's Katzkin's demo, but it DOES show and explain OEM airbags also. The demo basically shows how OEM and Katzkin work identically well. The secret, as it turns out, is that the airbags don't burst the fabric/leather at all. The sides of the seats are sewn in a certain way and with special thread, and the thread bursts. The video is very helpful in understanding the process.

Becky

·
Registered
5 Posts
Those seats look great! I have 2 leather kits that I've bought, one from Katkinz and the other from another leather manufacturer. I was going to install them but, my girlfriend (who's car it really is) doesn't want them. I've just been holding on to these because I'm thinking of replacing the cloth when she decides to sell the car.

If that ever happens 8)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts