Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
I live in Canada and planning to buy 2016 Hybrid. After visiting Toyota.ca I found out that 2016 RAV4 oil change interval has been changed from 8000km to 16000km.

After doing a quick search I found 2016 models have now 16000km oil change. Is there any change in RAV4 engine from 2015 to 2016?
2015 models still ask for 8k oil change. Can anyone tell why is that? here is the link to check maintenance schedule :

<http://www.toyota.ca/cgi-bin/WebObjects.exe/WWW.woa/17/wo/Home.Owners.MaintenanceMenu-cd0FjAbO3lI5oYAYTIPB5M/3.7?o110000e.html>

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
they probably just started using synthetic oil

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
The rav does use synthetic. Perhaps it's a hybrid thing. There is no sitting and idling in traffic and the engine is only used half the time in city. Makes sense that the oil should last twice the mileage if half of those miles the engine isn't even running.

·
Registered
846 Posts
So servicing (outside of oil changes) is now every 16k km? :) Or are we still required more frequent visits between oil changes? I, too, am in Canada.

That would be heaven-sent. :)

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
US Maintenance service is every 5k miles, but oil changes are only done every 10k miles.

Merry Christmas!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Not to sound dumb, but how long has the RAV4 had a 10,000 mile oil change schedule in the states? I'm driving an '03 Altima with a 3,000 mile oil change schedule and now I'm starting to think I should have went with a RAV4 years ago!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys. According to Toyota Canada website all 2016 Toyota models including camry and highlander require oil change at 16k. But they still want you to take the vehicle to dealer every 8k for "other" maintenance :)

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
This page helps explain the 10k mile (16k km) oil change interval, if your Rav4 is using conventional(mineral) oil the oil change frequency is still 5k miles(8k km).

Toyota Owners

What are the oil change intervals using synthetic oil?

• Only Toyota vehicles in which 0w-20 synthetic oil is required (except for the 2TR-FE and 3UR-FBE Engines*) have been approved for extended oil change intervals of 10,000-miles/12-months. (However, you should continue to check the oil level regularly and top off if needed. That will help your engine get the full benefit of synthetic oil.)

• Vehicles in which 0w-20 is an option to 5w-20 mineral oil, (or 5w-30), will continue to require 5,000-mile/6-month oil change intervals, even if 0w-20 oil is used.

• In the case of vehicles with 10,000 mile oil change intervals, the 5,000 mile service interval has not been eliminated. The traditional 5,000 mile maintenance procedures (such as tire rotation) will continue to be required, and the fluid levels (such as brake fluid) will need to be checked and adjusted at this time.

• If the vehicle operation meets the standard criteria for "Special Operating Conditions" such as: driving off-road, on dirt roads, towing a trailer, making repeated short trips under 32˚ F, or extensive idling; the engine oil must be replaced at 5,000 mile intervals, regardless of what type of oil is used.
*The 2TR-FE (4Runner / Tacoma) and the 3UR-FBE (Flex Fuel Tundra / Sequoia) are the exceptions to this new change interval program; these engines have not been approved for the 10,000 mile interval at this time. A 5,000-mile/6-month oil change interval is still required for these vehicles. Also, the Flex Fuel 3UR-FBE requires a 2,500 mile interval when operated on E85.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Will we run afoul of the factory / extended Toyota warranty by going every 10k instead of 5k? 5k seems to soon for fluid check ups and other visual checks.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Will we run afoul of the factory / extended Toyota warranty by going every 10k instead of 5k? 5k seems to soon for fluid check ups and other visual checks.
In the Scheduled Maintenance Guide, Toyota states:

...Damage or failure caused by lack
of proper maintenance are not covered
under warranty...
So you'd be on thin ice if any problem crops up in a system that was supposed to be maintained by the schedule, like the brakes and tires at 5k.

Not to say the work needs to be done at the dealer. I do all of my own basic maintenance, and use the Maintenance Guide as a document showing when I did the required work at home.

Especially on a groovy new system like the RAV's hybird, I think I'd stick to the dealer every 5k, especially while it is "free." Learn more about doing your own maintenance during that time.

·
Registered
182 Posts
According to the Warranty and Maintenance guide found here, the new hybrid Ravs call for an oil change every 10,000 miles unless certain "special operating conditions" are met. No mention of differentiating between syn and dino.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts