Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

New member 2006 owner - Engine shutting off

391 9
Hi,

I have a 2006 4Cyl 2WD RAV4. I joined the forum to see if anyone has an idea about a strange issue I am having with my RAV. The vehicle has ~180k miles on it. Last week, it began stalling when I shift from Rev to Drive. It is not a sputtering stall, but an immediate engine shutoff.

Here are the following scenarios that cause the shutoff:

• Start car in park -> shift into Rev -> then shift into Drive = engine shutoff
  • Start car in park -> shift into Rev -> then shift into Neutral = engine shutoff
  • Start car in park -> shift into Rev -> then shift into Park = engine shutoff
  • Start car in park -> shift into Drive -> then shift into Rev = engine shutoff
  • Start car in park -> shift into Drive -> then shift into Neutral = engine shutoff
  • Start car in park -> shift into Drive -> then shift into Park = engine shutoff

Here are the scenarios that run fine:
  • Start car in park -> shift into Drive -> Drive for as long as I want (with stops) no issue until I shift into Rev/Neutral/Park
  • Start car in park -> shift into Neutral to roll back -> Shift into Drive
  • Start car in park -> shift into Drive -> shift into 3-2-L or back up to D with no issue

The vehicle shows no dash light or reads any codes.

I work with several guys that are pretty knowledgeable and they are stumped. Any help / suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
17,508 Posts
A real shot in the dark here, but at that age and mileage I’m wondering if the engine mounts and transmission mounts are shot. Open the hood and see if the engine moves a lot when your helper shifts from R to P. Look for wiring that has been chafed or hoses being pulled, etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestion. There is movement, but I am not sure what is considered excessive. I tried uploading the video, but the thread does not support .mov file attachments. I will inspect the wires / hoses.

·
Registered
9,871 Posts
Symptoms appear to indicate an electrical problem - possibly the transmission shift lever electrical switch is malfunctioning?

Reactions: kevcules46

·
Registered
539 Posts
Put the video on you tube, then post the link here.

If your vehicle was connected to a troubleshooting tool, would it not show something right when this phenomenon happened? It may be resetting itself right away so no codes are getting stored?

Certainly strange for sure. Electrical problems can be the most mind boggling but sometimes the easiest to fix.
I would suggest going to a transmission shop where they deal with transmission problems on a regular basis.
Never heard that scenario before.....good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Symptoms appear to indicate an electrical problem - possibly the transmission shift lever electrical switch is malfunctioning?
I did appear to us as well to be an electrical problem with shift lever. Especially how fast it shuts down. So I tried, throwing into reverse for a bit then come to a stop. Keeping my foot on the brake, I rev the engine to >1500 rpm and throw it into drive. Although it slightly struggled like it wanted to stall, I was able to shift into Drive without stalling and able to then drive as normal.

·
Registered
2022 RAV4 Trail - Luna Rock 🎃 2022
99 Posts
Could be this, if its faulty, might not select correctly.

Automatic Transmission Gear Position Sensor

Part Number: 8454042010
Supersession(s): 84540-42010

8454042010 Product Image
View Automatic Transmission Gear Position Sensor Full-Sized Product Image

Fits RAV4 (2006 - 2012)

Automatic Trans Range Sensor - Repair or Replace

If your automatic transmission doesn’t select the right gear, the problem can be in your range sensor or shift position sensor.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts