Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

New member 2006 owner - Engine shutting off

393 9
Hi,

I have a 2006 4Cyl 2WD RAV4. I joined the forum to see if anyone has an idea about a strange issue I am having with my RAV. The vehicle has ~180k miles on it. Last week, it began stalling when I shift from Rev to Drive. It is not a sputtering stall, but an immediate engine shutoff.

Here are the following scenarios that cause the shutoff:

• Start car in park -> shift into Rev -> then shift into Drive = engine shutoff
  • Start car in park -> shift into Rev -> then shift into Neutral = engine shutoff
  • Start car in park -> shift into Rev -> then shift into Park = engine shutoff
  • Start car in park -> shift into Drive -> then shift into Rev = engine shutoff
  • Start car in park -> shift into Drive -> then shift into Neutral = engine shutoff
  • Start car in park -> shift into Drive -> then shift into Park = engine shutoff

Here are the scenarios that run fine:
  • Start car in park -> shift into Drive -> Drive for as long as I want (with stops) no issue until I shift into Rev/Neutral/Park
  • Start car in park -> shift into Neutral to roll back -> Shift into Drive
  • Start car in park -> shift into Drive -> shift into 3-2-L or back up to D with no issue

The vehicle shows no dash light or reads any codes.

I work with several guys that are pretty knowledgeable and they are stumped. Any help / suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestion. There is movement, but I am not sure what is considered excessive. I tried uploading the video, but the thread does not support .mov file attachments. I will inspect the wires / hoses.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Symptoms appear to indicate an electrical problem - possibly the transmission shift lever electrical switch is malfunctioning?
I did appear to us as well to be an electrical problem with shift lever. Especially how fast it shuts down. So I tried, throwing into reverse for a bit then come to a stop. Keeping my foot on the brake, I rev the engine to >1500 rpm and throw it into drive. Although it slightly struggled like it wanted to stall, I was able to shift into Drive without stalling and able to then drive as normal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts