Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. New member here. I just picked up a 2015 RAV4 XLE AWD (Canada 8/15).

Questions:

I’ve only had the RAV a few days but I’m already missing my Homelink. There are quite a few “plug and play” units available on ebay. Is the 5pin connector already installed in the harness above the map lights? If so, it seems that would provide for a fairly easy install. I looked for a video on YouTube but I haven’t found anything for the new generation RAV.

The spare tire is a donut type. Is it the same diameter as the stock tires? I thought you couldn’t use a different size tire on an AWD vehicle.

Random Observations:

I’m coming from a large RWD sedan that offered no real utility and was absolutely horrible in the snow. My requirements for a new vehicle were AWD, large storage space and decent gas mileage. I was initially set on purchasing a Subaru Outback 3.6 but it was a 3 month wait and basically nothing off sticker. That was a deal breaker.

I was VERY tempted to go with the Forester instead. The AWD system and ground clearance are big selling points IMO. It had decent cargo space as well. However, Subaru can’t seem to get their act together on the 4cyl engines. I can’t believe they are still having oil consumption issues after all this time. Also, the interior looked and felt cheap.

I eventually decided on the RAV because of Toyota’s reliability and I felt there was more overall value in terms of quality and features. I’m generally happy with my purchase but the RAV isn’t perfect. I have a few minor gripes:

-No power driver seat on the mid-level model?? Come on!

-The sound from the standard radio/speakers is terrible. Probably the worst radio of any late model car I’ve been in. Huge disappointment.

-The ride is a touch firm but I don’t find it to be as bad as reported by others. Not sure if Toyota softened it up some on the latest units.

-Ground clearance is not very good. Of course, I knew that going in. I don’t go off-road but I spend time in PA on unpaved roads and in snow. I should be fine on the roads but a couple of more inches of GC would be great for deep snow.

-Toyota seemed to put zero thought and energy into the cargo area. It has no useful hooks. The grocery bag hooks are worthless; they’re too low to actually be useful for grocery bags. Also, the hooks are shaped in such a way that I can’t attach my old cargo net to them. Nor does it come with a cargo net of its own. This is a really big deficiency for something that would have been cheap and easy to do correctly.

Again, despite the minor shortcomings, I’m happy with the RAV. I’m sure it will serve me well.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I may be able to help address some of your concerns.

1) Not much can be done about lack of power drivers seat. Sadly I guess one of the selling points of the Limited, is if you have multiple drivers you get memory seating. As a single driver never had to touch the adjustment once i had it right.
2) 100% agree here. What I did was save $ on bumping to the limited and install my own 3rd party sound system. From what I heard the JBL on limited isnt that great either.
3) I never found the ride harsh in the Rav to be honest. Proper tire pressure is a must. It seems alot of the people here including myself had their Rav delivered with overinflated tires. Mine were delivered at 42 PSI.
4) The lack of ground clearance is actually not too bad. I lived in a fairly snow heavy area and had no problems with the ground clearance even with 15-25cm of snow on the ground. Now if your in an area with ice ruts in that height that may pose a problem.
5) There are actually 2 cargo nets available for the Rav. You probably can find the one you need on ebay for cheap.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses.

Regarding Homelink, I checked out that thread but I’m not going to start splicing wires etc. I’m not confident with that sort of stuff. I suspect that the harness connector is already present and it’s just a matter of plugging the mirror in (that thread was a little dated). When I get a chance, I’ll remove the map light housing and check. The LE’s have a plug-in connector present for fog lights and it makes sense that they would use the same harnesses for all the models.

My tire pressure was delivered at 40psi. I lowered it to 38psi and I’m happy with the ride. I always go a little above the manufacturer’s sticker to help with the fuel mileage. I haven’t had any adverse effects.

I checked ebay and I found the cargo nets. Thanks. They really should be included with the vehicle along with floor mats. Just my meaningless opinion :D

·
Registered
192 Posts
Depends on season. In summer i tend to go closer to the rated spec so 34PSI. In winter due to the extreme cold in my area (-20c) I run 36 PSI to accommodate for loss of volume due to temperature. Rated spec for my tires is 33 or 32 I believe.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Congrats on your purchase. I also got the XLE about 2 weeks ago.
I was contemplating the same vehicles as you and some others.
My requirements were the same as yours (cargo, fuel economy, awd) but price was also key for me.
RAV4 has the largest total cargo (with 2nd row seats down) if you want more than that you need to go to some midsized (not all), full sized suvs, but doing so will hurt you in the mpg and price

Based on my 4 requirements the RAV4 was the only one that stood above the rest, some came very close.
I may not have gotten all the bells and whistles that other brands or trim levels have, but at the end of the day it does what it needs to do.
And unless you live in your car, drive for many hours per day then those added extras are rarely used.

That doesn't mean that I am going to keep the car as is. Will look to upgrade the car little by little.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Congrats on the purchase! I also just bought the same model in Black with Nav, picked it up last week. Are you from Toronto? What color is your rav? I made my research before buying the rav and like you I opted for Toyota reliability. I just finished my first tank of gas and averaging at 24mpg city driving and so far has not found any issue with the vehicle. :smile

1 - 9 of 9 Posts