Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2020 MGM XSE, 2017 MGM DCSB OR Taco
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

As the title states I’m new here, in fact this is my very first post just wanted to say hello!

I purchased a new 2020 XSE in MGM a couple days ago as my daily driver and absolutely LOVE it!

Background I also own a 2017 Tacoma in MGM that has been heavily modified into a camping/ adventure vehicle and my wife currently drives a 2019 Adventure in Lunar Rock. Oh and for any old school Toyota fans we JUST sold our 1978 FJ40, as you can see we’re a Toyota family.

Here’s a few pictures of the new ride. Only modification so far is the Toyota badge blackout kit went on today. I plan on having the grey parts wrapped in black and might swap out the grill for a black one as well.

Oh anyone out there have a solution for the chrome trim around the windows?? I’m going to ask the vinyl shop about covering that as well... that’s about it, maybe a fairing as I mentioned this is just a daily driver for me so no reason to get too crazy.

This new generation of RAV4’s is truly aweome! I’m looking forward to a decade of reliable service.

-Yota

·
Super Moderator
11,045 Posts
Welcome, enjoy your stay.

Reactions: YOTA4X4

·
Registered
102 Posts
I like the grey!! Just curious as I've seen several folks on here comment just how good the XSE looks. What do yall like about it? I guess I'm just not seeing the appeal of the XSE trim.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like the grey!! Just curious as I've seen several folks on here comment just how good the XSE looks. What do yall like about it? I guess I'm just not seeing the appeal of the XSE trim.
I really like their grey and especially in XSE trim, but, different stokes for different folks. I think it looks great with all the black trim, wheels, ect. This was on the lot, but when I built one it’s literally the exact vehicle I built so I didn’t have to pay for anything I didn’t want or miss out on anything I didn’t get. Worked out very well.

Here’s a picture of my very “Overland-y” Tacoma. It matches the new RAV4 very well!

·
Registered
2020 Toyota RAV4 Limited Hybrid
40 Posts
Oh anyone out there have a solution for the chrome trim around the windows?? I’m going to ask the vinyl shop about covering that as well... that’s about it, maybe a fairing as I mentioned this is just a daily driver for me so no reason to get too crazy.

This new generation of RAV4’s is truly aweome! I’m looking forward to a decade of reliable service.

-Yota
Depends on if its your style, but AUTOCLOVER window visors cover up the entire length of chrome strip above the window, even the little piece between the C and D pillar. I personally love window visors and put them on all my vehicles, but I know some don't.

·
Registered
561 Posts
To me, the XSE looks more like un upscale car. Sort of Range Rover ish. All other Rav4s look like cookie cutter, cheap CUVs. Not saying they are cheap or poorly made, just saying what they look like. The other exception is the TRD off road, that to me looks nice.

The combination two tone paint, black wheels and the blue accented interior are what make the XSE stand out for me. The black roof paint is speckled and high gloss.

In addition, you cant get Premium audio and I believe the Technology package, Pano roof in anything lower than the XSE. For me, I wanted all of these options.

I also wanted a J Vin car. By ordering one with a Pano roof in 2019, this guaranteed me a J Vin as they were only made in Japan at the time.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Don't get me wrong, it looks sporty, but I just don't get the appeal of putting all of that glossy trim on a vehicle that is designed to be taken off road every now and then. I'm so concerned about scratching that up that I hesitate to take ours anywhere off the pavement, even if to park it on the grass.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Nice! Welcome! I'm new too. We bought a '20 XLE (made in Japan) with convenience, cold weather and audio plus. I wish audio plus was the JBL system. The stock system does not compare even with the JBL in my '11 prius.

On XSE vs other trims- I prefer silver wheels and the plain black seats...just personal preference.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Depends on if its your style, but AUTOCLOVER window visors cover up the entire length of chrome strip above the window, even the little piece between the C and D pillar. I personally love window visors and put them on all my vehicles, but I know some don't.
They look A-Ok to me, any feedback on how they hold up? In particular through a car wash? I live in the snowy north so car washes end up being a regular thing come winter?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Don't get me wrong, it looks sporty, but I just don't get the appeal of putting all of that glossy trim on a vehicle that is designed to be taken off road every now and then. I'm so concerned about scratching that up that I hesitate to take ours anywhere off the pavement, even if to park it on the grass.
I could see that argument for sure! Mine won’t ever be on anything more Offroad than dirt roads (that’s why I have the Tacoma) but I do get it. My guess, the XSE is supposed to look more upscale and on road. My wife has an Adventure and all the lower plastic on hers is more Matte finished. She does MILD off-roading with hers and it does very well. Though she’s got a few scratches on the lower plastics.

It’s actually fairly competent Offroad.

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 HYBRID LIMITED
91 Posts
I could see that argument for sure! Mine won’t ever be on anything more Offroad than dirt roads (that’s why I have the Tacoma) but I do get it. My guess, the XSE is supposed to look more upscale and on road. My wife has an Adventure and all the lower plastic on hers is more Matte finished. She does MILD off-roading with hers and it does very well. Though she’s got a few scratches on the lower plastics.

It’s actually fairly competent Offroad.
Mind if I ask where you go for some "mild off-roading"? I've been trying to find some trails but at the same time want to get a lift kit first. Something a newbie doing it on their own won't get into too much trouble. :)

·
Registered
166 Posts
View attachment 155233

As the title states I’m new here, in fact this is my very first post just wanted to say hello!

I purchased a new 2020 XSE in MGM a couple days ago as my daily driver and absolutely LOVE it!

Background I also own a 2017 Tacoma in MGM that has been heavily modified into a camping/ adventure vehicle and my wife currently drives a 2019 Adventure in Lunar Rock. Oh and for any old school Toyota fans we JUST sold our 1978 FJ40, as you can see we’re a Toyota family.

Here’s a few pictures of the new ride. Only modification so far is the Toyota badge blackout kit went on today. I plan on having the grey parts wrapped in black and might swap out the grill for a black one as well.

-Yota
That is one ugly looking car ;). Actually that was the color I wanted but my wife liked blizzard white better. You have great taste in cars.

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 HYBRID LIMITED
91 Posts
My guess is Toyota designed the XSE mostly for people looking for a CUV that will never take it off road.

·
Registered
2020 Toyota RAV4 Limited Hybrid
40 Posts
They look A-Ok to me, any feedback on how they hold up? In particular through a car wash? I live in the snowy north so car washes end up being a regular thing come winter?
I haven't taken my Rav4 through an automated car wash yet, and I rarely ever use them. I did use a coin-op self car wash twice now, and its held up under the pressure washer.

My guess is Toyota designed the XSE mostly for people looking for a CUV that will never take it off road.
The XSE also has stiffer suspension and stickier tires than the other models besides the Prime.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mind if I ask where you go for some "mild off-roading"? I've been trying to find some trails but at the same time want to get a lift kit first. Something a newbie doing it on their own won't get into too much trouble. :)
well, I guess that depends on where you live? My wife and I are (or at least were before COVID) very active in the Overlanding community. Overland Bound ect provides a good group of people to explore with. We live upstate near Lake Ontario and there are lots of seasonal roads to explore that are perfectly legal, a little more challenging than just dirt, but you won’t ruin your 35k daily driver....

If you ever go out west there’s TONS of beautiful trails and roads that are 100% doable (if it’s dry) with a stock RAV4. This is Gemini Bridges in Moab, basically a dirt road but oh the views!

Being in NY it’s much much more limiting but the southern tier area, and the areas say near Oxford NY have a lot of cool dirt to explore.

Hope this helps. BTW hope me posting pics doesn’t bother anyone but this year has been so boring I need to be reminded of trips past! Though we are headed to Maine for a couple weeks here in Sept so maybe I’ll have some new ones!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That is one ugly looking car ;). Actually that was the color I wanted but my wife liked blizzard white better. You have great taste in cars.
Thanks! We love our Toyotas!!!! To be honest I didn’t realize how much I would like the Rav, again I’m mostly a truck guy, my Tacoma has a lot of work done to it and I was thinking maybe a 4Runner would be a good daily. Well honestly besides being crazy expensive they suck at fuel mileage! Just wouldn’t be practical or economically smart. I’d say Toyota absolutely knocked it out of the park with this newest generation. It’s pretty fun to drive, looks great!!, and gets 40MPG, no wonder it’s the best selling Hybrid in the country.

Following along on IG there’s some pretty serious lifted ones out there too that are pretty decent offroad, keeping in mind it’s still a Uni-body CUV.

Way to go Toyota!!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts