Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all.

I'm looking forward to spending some time here to learn more about Rav4s in general. I'll try to keep the stupid questions to a minimum, and control my gift for pointing out the obvious (I couldn't tell if the smiling emoticon would actually post?).

My wife & I very recently purchased a 2016 Rav4 LE, but not because we really wanted a new vehicle. The insurance company declared our 2004 Corolla a total loss. Since my wife has a long commute to work, we decided a new car was best; she gets the new Rav4 and I get the 2004 Highlander.

I did the research and legwork on four SUVs: Toyota Rav4, Checrolet Equinox LT, Mazda CX-5, & Ford Escape Sport. In brief:

Escape: I eliminated it because Ford seems to have some QC issues. The Escape is a solid vehicle, but of the four it had the most mixed reviews on reliability, new & long term.

CX-5: Peppy acceleration and nice handling. There were little things here & there in the interior that made me question the long-term durability.

Equinox: I could've flipped a coin between it & the Rav4. It featured some advanced computer controls and seemed to be built for durability. If the timing of the additional discount had been better, my wife & I would've very seriously considered it.

Overall we expect the Rav4 to hold up well for many years. And I mean the overall integrity, not just the drive-train. Modern engines and transmissions, barring problems with a new design or flukes that sometimes happen, should with proper maintenance last for a very long time. We took into account the build quality of the entire vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
11,133 Posts
Sounds like you did your homework. I read that the Equinox has some bad blind spots, did you find that to be true?

Reactions: Chris J.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like you did your homework. I read that the Equinox has some bad blind spots, did you find that to be true?
I could've included many more makes & models. The research would've been relatively easy, but trying to test drive all of them would've been a pain. My wife would rather have her hair pulled out in small chunks than shop for a car.

Yes, the Equinox had bad blind spots, but to be fair the same could be said for all four of the SUVs that I listed. Even the Jetta that I had as the rental car caused me to double check before changing lanes. According to official reports from GM the Equinox has been redesigned for 2017, and should hit the dealer lots in May/June. I didn't see one; perhaps the new design is better re blind spots (??).

One selling point for the '16 Rav4 is it includes the small blind spot mirrors on the two side mirrors. The Equinox & CX-5 didn't; I can't remember if the Escape had them. My guess is with so many folks choosing the packages that include the blind spot warning, many car makers are leaving off the small mirrors. Even with them I still look over my shoulder, time allowing.

Newbie question--Which sub-forum would be best for me to check regarding any problems that I should look out for? Perhaps there's an existing thread? I don't expect any major problems or serious issues with our Rav4, but there could be some minor issues that it would help to know about while it's still under all of the warranties.

Chris

·
Super Moderator
11,133 Posts
That would be under RAV4.4 Fourth Generation (2013+ Models) with its various subcategories.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts