Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I have a 2004 Rav4 and sometimes when I drive long distances or over 60mph or accelerate quickly, the acceleration cuts out and the car slows down to a stop. Its always fine if I turn the engine off and on again but the engine light comes on and stays on for about 2 days or so. Its fine if I happen to have a lay-by or hard shoulder, but if not it can be pretty scary. Ive taken it to my trusted mechanic and he has run the computer which says its fine??? Any advice? id like to resolve this before long Christmas journeys, Thanks. Emily

·
Super Moderator
10,204 Posts
Welcome Emily!
If your Check Engine light comes on it will set codes that indicate where the problem(s) are. Even after it goes off the codes usually remain.
IMO, if your mechanic has "has run the computer" and concluded it's fine I question the code reader/scanner he's using. In the US we can go to most any auto parts store and they'll read the codes for free since they then can sell the appropriate parts to fix the car.
In any case getting an accurate code reading is the first step.

You might want to post further questions on the 4.2 forum for more specific help.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts