Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I live in Massachusetts (originally from Florida) and I've owned my 2015 Rav4 XLE AWD since last September. Before I had purchased my Rav4, I had been a Honda/Acura owner, so this is my first Toyota!

Glad to be part of this user group. My main concern is making sure to protect and maintain my Rav4, particularly during the winter months. I'm sure many of you are used to driving in snowy conditions. It's bad enough for a native Floridian trying to adjust to winter driving conditions in the north east: salt, sand, potholes, and so on!

Here are some modifications I've made since I purchased the vehicle:

-installed toyota mudguards
-added rear cargo mat
-installed cargo net
-installed door sill appliques
-installed Husky floor liners (namely for winter driving season)

The car came equipped with side door moldings and a cargo cover.

In addition, I applied the Klasse twins (AIO + SG) to the entire surface of the vehicle (except for the glass, which used AIO only) back in October to prep it for the winter.

I attached a pic of my Rav4 from several months ago. Wish I could keep it as clean today! I had recently driven to New Hampshire before New Year's and there was so much salt and sand dumped on the roads that I was shocked at how dirty my car was! :cry: When I returned back home, I took my car to the car wash 3 times and rinsed down almost every single corner of the exterior and undercarriage.

Anyway, I hope to learn more about my Rav4 through this forum. Thanks for reading.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Welcome! Good to have you on board. As a West Coaster who was transplanted into the Midwest for a few years I've experienced what you have regarding vehicle care in winter.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hey there! New member here and fellow Massachusetts resident! Welcome to the land of high taxes, high tourism traffic summers, and cold winters!

The best thing you can do for the rust prevention is to wax your paint with plenty of coats usually in November-December is a good time for this, make sure squeaky clean before applying wax. I usually do 2 coats, lots of work, but well worth it. After that the best thing is just to make sure you continue washing it, once every 2 weeks at least and if you get any salt or ice on your car take a few extra minutes to wash it away.

I usually just go to one of those quarter car washes, it costs about $5 but I'll get the whole top of the car and under the car all cleaned up (again, make sure you do under the car!) If you figure $5 a week that's $20 a month, $80 a winter. Not bad considering rust absolutely destroys resale value!

You just gotta make it until April!

Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
10,135 Posts
I attached a pic of my Rav4 from several months ago. Wish I could keep it as clean today! I had recently driven to New Hampshire before New Year's and there was so much salt and sand dumped on the roads that I was shocked at how dirty my car was! :cry: When I returned back home, I took my car to the car wash 3 times and rinsed down almost every single corner of the exterior and undercarriage.
Welcome to New England!
You pretty much only have a few choices during NE winters.
Let it get disgustingly dirty and clean it a couple times on spring type days. That'll make your car match everyone else's :crying. You'll get used to it.

Or you could buy your own car wash - and have it heated since most of the public ones close much below a temperature called freezing.

Or don't drive. :wink

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the welcome guys! Yeah, I'm pretty fussy when it comes to cleaning the car, but I definitely echo the waxing tip. Actually, when I first got the car I applied a coat of Meguiar's #16, but in October I clayed my car and applied the Klasse twins sealants, which should theoretically last up to 12 months. My car is still beading water since I applied AIO+SG back in October.

I go to a self-service wash in my area, but I avoid the touchless automated car wash as I understand the chemicals used are harsh on the painted surface. Self-serve is the best as it allows you to reach in all sorts of places of your car to rinse out any junk, such as behind the wheels and under the car.

One thing I'm kind of bummed out on is not opting for the Limited edition. I settled for the XLE and it would have been nice to have the power lift gate, power seats, navigation, push button start, etc. Remote start would have been a nice feature during the winter season. I hope to own a Highlander someday (my wife likes the idea of a larger SUV), so I'll make sure to keep these in mind when I get decide to move on to my next vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
10,135 Posts
Thanks for the welcome guys! Yeah, I'm pretty fussy when it comes to cleaning the car....
Unfortunately if you have to drive daily as in to work you'll either have to back off the fussiness or spend as much time cleaning as driving this winter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts