Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Dodge D250 CTD, (2) 1997 VW Passat TDIs, 2002 VW Jetta TDI, 2006 Toyota RAV4
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
Happy Thanksgiving and safe travels to all who are doing so.

I bought my RAV4 a week ago, no major issues, at least I think not. It purrs like a content kitten. It had 294,492 miles (99% FWY Miles) on it when I bought it. I've put about 60+ miles on it in the past week.
When I bought it the "Traction Control" and "VCS" light were on. They are still on. The "Auto LSD" doesn't work and the Cruise Control will turn on, but when I set it, it doesn't hold and the Cruise light blinks, so I turn off the cruise control.
I bought it from the original owner and all service was done on time or a little early. The alternator was replaced in June on '21 and new spark plugs and coils were installed along with an oil change, new oil filter and new air cleaner about 2 weeks ago.
The CEL was on for the trip around the parking lot when I test drove it. I turned off the car, we talked, then I started it back up. No more CEL. All dash warning lights do come on before starting car.
I we reading on this forum and other sources about the "Traction Control", "VCS", lights and the "Auto LSD" not working as well as the blinking Cruise Control light.
A somewhat common answer to this is that the codes were not cleared that may be bringing the lights on.
The owner told me He believed the lights would go out after he had the new spark plugs and coils replaced, but they didn't. He had this issue several years ago, but then a Toyota dealer did the work. This time an independent mechanic did the work.
I'm thinking the codes just need to be cleared, especially as the CEL did come on the one time.
Sorry for the lengthy explanation.
Does any one on this forum have any ideas as to the issue?
Also, can anyone recommend a good Toyota shop (non dealer if possible) In Southern California, Inland Empire. Chino, Ontario, Upland area?

Thank you and have a great Thanksgiving Holiday.

·
Super Moderator
11,619 Posts
The codes won't go off until they are reset and a tune-up won't do it either. A basic code reader can reset them.

·
Registered
1993 Dodge D250 CTD, (2) 1997 VW Passat TDIs, 2002 VW Jetta TDI, 2006 Toyota RAV4
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The codes won't go off until they are reset and a tune-up won't do it either. A basic code reader can reset them.
Thanks Dr. Dyno.
That's what I was thinking. I'll take it to a mechanic friend next week and see if he can do it for me. That is, has the time to do it for me.
I don't have a code reader. I'll look into one and see if there are any decent ones out there on "Black Friday" sale.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
17,016 Posts
Thanks SoNic67.
I've seen it online and mentioned on the forum.
Why not try the jumper method. Hitting the brake pedal 8 times with the jumper installed should clear those codes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why not try the jumper method. Hitting the brake pedal 8 times with the jumper installed should clear those codes.

Thanks JuneBug,
I'll try that later today and keep you posted.
I really appreciate all the help and ideas from this forum.
VW TDIs I know rather well, but by no means an expert.
This is the first "Spark Detonation" vs. "Compression Detonation" I've owned in about 20 years or more.
By the way, I really enjoy this RAV4. Fit's perfect, just needs some assistance and I found the right place to find it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all for you help. I tried the “Jumper method” to no avail. Still good info to have, I appreciate it. I took it to a friend that owns a shop. I’ve known him about 20+ years. His technician ran a scan and cleared it for me. The problem is an intermittent bad brake light switch at the brake pedal. I’ll stop by Toyota and get a replacement. I’ve had bad luck with several “non-original manufacturer” replacement parts working then going bad. So this will be a Toyota part replacement.
It was nice having cruise control working on my drive home from my mechanic as well as no other warning lights on during the drive home.

Thank you all again for your help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That switch has a rubber cushion on top of it. That sometimes hardens and cracks, and then the stop lights won't work anymore. Same for cruise control and even shifting in D from P.
It's dangerous because people behind you don't see the brake lights at that time.
Yes, that would be quite annoying. I'll keep a note of that. I just picked up a new switch. I'll get it installed.
I back into my garage, so when I pull out I can shut the door and check the reflection of brake and turn signals. It's a habit I picked up many, many years ago and has served me well.
Thanks again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts