Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings All,

Just became the second owner of a 1998 RAV4 with 161,000 miles. Needed a car for my daughter for the summer when she arrives home from school. Found this car that the original owner didn’t anticipate selling, and as a result he installed new tires in January 2016. The list of the major repairs he already did are below. It was not Toyota serviced, but the previous owner said he knows the mechanic for 30 years and trusts him. I’m new to RAV4 but I think I have been bitten by the bug. I may want to take this car to 250,000 miles or more.I paid $2800, which I thought was high, but the new tires, brakes, shocks and relatively recent timing belt service sold me. The car looks like an 18 year old car...but not terrible. I’ve already replaced the battery and ordered a new Bluetooth Stereo from Crutchfield that I will install myself. I’ve also set about repairing all the small issues that I can address on my own. I think I’m gonna give my daughter my 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe...and I’m gonna drive this for the summer. As strange as it sounds, I ENJOY driving this relatively simple little truck more than my Santa Fe....go figure! Your thoughts and comments would be greatly appreciated....Thanks in advance

1/2016 159,706 miles - New Tires

12/2015 159,517 miles- Left front axle seal replaced

9/2015 - 157,471 miles New Front Brakes (pads only), New rear shocks

12/2014 - 149,924 miles - Cooling system Flush, Replace Left Front Axle

4/2014 - 142,155 miles - New Timing Belt, Water Pump, Oil Pump Gasket and Steering Gear (complete)

3/2014 - 141736 miles - New Spark Plugs and wires New Fuel o-rings

1/2014 - 137,785 miles - New heater core

12/2013 - 137,200 miles - New air fuel ratio sensor & New Thermostat, clean fuel system

5/2013 - 132,100 miles - New AC Compressor and New Passenger side axle and replace hoses

7/2012 - 124,500 - New Alternator

5/2012 - 122,809 miles - replace rear brake shoes and clean fuel system

Attachments

·
Registered
412 Posts
Congratulations!!
Great ride.

You mentioned that you enjoy this simple little truck more than your Santa Fe.

I got a Sequoia and an FJ Cruiser parked at home... Well guess what I like driving around the RAV4 more than any of them. It is so much fun to drive.
I could afford a newer one but I bought first gen and put money in it to make it perfect for the simple reason that all current SUVs looks the same and none come in a manual transmission. They are all off road wannabs also. First gen was designed for off road.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply RAV4EVER. Mine is an auto, and by no means perfect...but I'm afraid I may get it there no matter what it costs. My daughter is away at school and for the next three years that will be the case. When she comes home, up until this point she shared a car (2015 Hyundai Elantra) with her sister. I just couldn't see leasing another vehicle that would be sitting unused for 8 months out of the year, but this summer car sharing will be nearly impossible, and quite frankly I didn't want to hear the whining. That was the impetus for the purchase. I decided to buy a beater that I would drive, and give her my newer car with all the latest safety features. I have grave concerns with giving any twenty something today a car without a dozen airbags, antilock brakes, traction and stability control since none of them actually KNOW how to drive a car without that stuff. After just a few days with this little RAV, I'm thinking I may just do what you did and keep it forever. I had forgotten what it feels like to drive a car without all the ringing and blinking electronics. The newer RAVs don't really appeal to me. Too bloated. Something tells me most of them won't be on the road 20 years hence...to costly to keep them going after a certain point

·
Registered
47 Posts
I love my 1997 2 dr, standard shift Rav4 "Baby"! Had the engine rebuilt last year. Most of my friends thought I was crazy but none of the new cars I've driven, handles as well as my Rav. Looking to replace the factory stereo now with a bluetooth enabled one so am asking for suggestions. Guess I'd have to buy speakers too, right?

·
Super Moderator
10,125 Posts
Last summer I sold my 90-year old FIL's '98 RAV4 to a 30+ friend with a family of 4, 5, or 6, :egad: I lost count! They have a Diesel Suburban to haul all of them but the RAV4 is his baby.

I was over at his place so see the foundation for his new house in the woods a few weeks ago. The little RAV4 was parked next to his monstrous John Deere Excavator. He pointed to them and remarked, "My two favorite machines!" He's bitten too!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts