Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all I am new to this forum as well as the world of Toyota. I have always driven Nissans and currently own 3 of them in addition to my newest addition to the family a 1999 RAV4. I bought the RAV about a month ago dirt cheap. The owner thought the engine needed an overhaul.
I took a weekend and went through the car front to rear as it had 99,000 on the clock when I bought it and no service records at all. I replaced the timing belt, tensioner bearing and idler bearing, crank seal, cam seal, oil, oil filter, air filter, water pump, plug wires, plugs, diffy fluid, transfercase fluid, automatic tranny fluid and tranny filter screen.
The Tbelt tensioner and idler bearings were completely shot and the Tbelt had OEM markings on it so I think it was all original. The water pump was just as bad as I could move the belt gear back and forth at least a 1/4 inch. After completing the service the engine was quiet and the car ran great.
Now the last flaw I can see is the exhaust. The car has the OEM system on it. It sounds like a mad hornet at around 2,500 RPM as it has a nasty rasp to it. The muffler does not rattle when I bang on it with my fist so there is no sign of broken or loose baffle plates. The same goes for the small resonator. I was told by the dealer that that is normal for the RAV. I can't believe that as the car sounds like a ricer. Odd part is that as the car warms up to normal the "rasp" quiets down to almost liveable sound levels. Is this "raspy" sound from the stock system normal???? Thanks in advance for any advice. Love the car, hate the sound.
MaxDoc

·
Registered
682 Posts
Check for exhaust holes/leaks. Also cut off the exhaust piping heat shields with tin snips...they rust and make a buzzing/raspy noise.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mr. Mohit

I will check the heatshields this weekend.
MaxDoc

·
Registered
176 Posts
You should get good use out of your RAV now with your work done.
I don't know why but each water pump I have replaced the idler and tensioner bearing were shot. Mine been only lasting about 85-90,000 miles.
The sound from your exhaust is what both of mine do, so the only fix is a catback replacement.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not sure about the catalytic converter in the 99 models, nor are their rear mufflers the same as the 95 models. As with the rear muffler, a broken piece of internal sheet may cause rattling, same applies to the cat. But the 95 model uses a very small cat, so I am not sure about the 99 model.

As with the ricer sound, it may well be a hole in the exhaust somewhere.

Bon Chance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts