Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every since late 1995 when the two door Rav4's started showing up in dealer's lots here in Canada, I've thought it would be really fun car, but at the time I had a really nice 1981 Supra and wasn't looking for another car. Now 2-door Rav4's are quite rarely seen on the roads here anymore and I think many people have forgotten that they existed.

Fast forward to a bit more than a year ago, I saw this 1997 Rav4 at a used car lot. The paint was a kind of rough (scratched and oxidized), and it needed a bit of care and maintenance in a few areas but it seemed to be in decent shape overall and decided to go for it. It was apparent that someone loved this car before and generally took care of it. I spent the next few months fixing up details, catching up maintenance tasks, and much polishing and waxing of the paint in my spare time. I used all Toyota parts and fluids to bring the car back to its former glory, and now it is a fantastic and reliable little car.

Now that I have some experience with a variety of tasks with this car and put a lot of miles on it already, I've decided to join to help others keep up their original Rav4's.

Attachments

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are several answers to that. Mostly it is from putting AutoGlym "Bumper Gel" on the plastics. It lasts a long time and instantly makes the faded plastics look like new again. It doesn't wash off easily. I used to use the AutoGlym Vinyl and Rubber Care which works great on interior parts and looks good but it washes off too quickly on the outside. You can buy these things at Canadian Tire.

When I got the car, the right rear bumper cover was cracked. I managed to find one at an auto wrecker that was dented and very faded but otherwise OK. Using a hair dryer and a lot of patience, I massaged the dent out, then painted it with Dupli-Color CTB102000 Dark Charcoal Trim and Bumper paint which seems to be an exact match to the original plastic. It looks like new now. If I were more ambitious, I'd paint the other cladding parts too instead of putting the bumper gel on them.

Finally the front mud flaps actually are new (two years old). When I got the car, I noticed faint surface rust trying to start at the front of the rocker panels where the front tires throw stuff up at them. After treating with rust converter twice, painting with Rocker Guard, then putting FluidFilm inside, I ordered the original Toyota front mud guards from the dealership and put them on to protect that area and reduce the amount that the tires throw up. Unfortunately the rear mud guards are no longer available new from Toyota in Canada.

·
Registered
1996 Toyota Rav4 (3 Doors, AWD, Manual)
148 Posts
WOAH! Thanks for the knowledge. I noted everything in my maintenance Log Book for my future projects haha.

Where in Canada are you?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatttt! I'm in Vancouver, more specifically East Vancouver.

Where are you?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm a bit further up the valley, but I have driven the Rav4 into Vancouver a number of times. I find it a good car for this with its excellent visibility compared to newer cars. The high seating and very low window line contribute to this.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I totally agree with you!

I rented an EVO this week while I am waiting for my part to arrive from Japan, and I HATED the visibility!

If you ever come by, tell me and we'll grab a coffee whenever this pandemic ends.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.