Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Going to buy 4 BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 tires from Tire Rack for my 2011 base RAV4. Keep getting a message that says "the tires you have selected have a higher load rating than the vehicle's Original Equipment (O.E.) tires."

Is it safe to drive with these on? Getting these tires to avoid all the crap DC weather puts everyone through.

Jake

·
Registered
406 Posts
BFG ATs are an LT (light truck) tire, so have a stiffer construction, so will make the ride harder.
My SWB 4.1 is much lighter than yours though, so yours shouldn't be as bad. I had to reduce my rear pressures a bit.

You could try Yokohama Geolanders, they get good reviews and are also available with a P (passenger) rating.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I have Hankook dynaPro ATM in 235/65-17...best all terrain type tire I have ever had...great traction all year long...goes off road great and is fairly quiet going down the road...had them on 3 different suvs...

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have Hankook dynaPro ATM in 235/65-17...best all terrain type tire I have ever had...great traction all year long...goes off road great and is fairly quiet going down the road...had them on 3 different suvs...

Concur. Not only do the reviews echo this, but my experience with the Hankooks so far is excellent. No snow yet, but I've hit all other terrains successfully, and with great confidence.

Only downside is increased tire noise, but that is expected with ATs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! Where do you usually buy those tires and do they fit your RAV4 well (I have 17" tires, BTW)?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Thanks! Where do you usually buy those tires and do they fit your RAV4 well (I have 17" tires, BTW)?
I buy most of my tires from discount tire direct...I have a sport that originally came with 18 inch wheels, but I wanted these tires so I bought 17 inch wheels for them...my avatar pic shows them and I have a few other pics with them...stock 17 inch size is 225/65, but I like the 235 better...while my rav does not have a rear spare tire mount I have heard that the 235 will fit the factory tire cover.. others have installed 245/65-17 and said that was just a little too big for the spare tire cover...

·
Registered
137 Posts
my Conti TrueContacts 235/65r17 (pretty sure thats the size) barely squeezes into the plastic cover and the elastic vinyl part will not reach the back of the tire. I got a matching 17in rim from automotix (junk yard site) and left the tire uncovered. and i do the 5 tire rotation every oil change.

you can get a bigger cover online relatively cheap but i dont see the need for it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The Hankook DynaPro ATM are another good all around tires. They provide dependable traction in the mud, dirt, rain and snow. They are smooth and quiet on pavement also.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
my Conti TrueContacts 235/65r17 (pretty sure thats the size) barely squeezes into the plastic cover and the elastic vinyl part will not reach the back of the tire. I got a matching 17in rim from automotix (junk yard site) and left the tire uncovered. and i do the 5 tire rotation every oil change.

you can get a bigger cover online relatively cheap but i dont see the need for it.
Off topic a tad but relevant to your post.... I have a Sport 18" wheels. If I were to get 17" rims with 235/65r17... couldn't I just keep the old 18" sport wheel as a spare seeing how I've only ever needed it once. And if I had to use it if one of the 235/16r17s got a flat... would it be an issue driving ? Never tried in any vehicle.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Off topic a tad but relevant to your post.... I have a Sport 18" wheels. If I were to get 17" rims with 235/65r17... couldn't I just keep the old 18" sport wheel as a spare seeing how I've only ever needed it once. And if I had to use it if one of the 235/16r17s got a flat... would it be an issue driving ? Never tried in any vehicle.
They are pretty close in overall diameter so I don't think it would be an issue...if I got a flat on the front I would put the spare on the rear and move a rear tire to the front...

·
Registered
137 Posts
They are pretty close in overall diameter so I don't think it would be an issue...if I got a flat on the front I would put the spare on the rear and move a rear tire to the front...
+1 same

Also got me a matching 17' rim from automotix.com, junkyard site for about 140$ shipped.
I have the old steelie in the carport.

oh yeah, tad off topic.
I am a Bama boy myself, East Brewton, AL
Currently in Arizona

·
Registered
137 Posts
my RAV4 is dirty and full of chips..
just not into decoration, i upgraded the electronics so i could get bluetooth, nav, and a rear camera
wider tires for more grip on the road..
mmmm yep thats it.. i barely wash it but i air the tires semi-religiously.

wait.. i got the license plate frame that says Alabama Crimson Tide.. does that count?
Is your spare tire cover a custom job?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just put the same 235/65/17 Dynapro ATM on my 2009 V6. Speedo should be off 2% now, so my mpg tracking is busted.

Yeah, some noise under 50, but ride is smooth...corners confident.

Oddly, I have less steering feedback...meaning, it is so smooth, I can turn my wheel with a pinky...
The "speed sensitive" steering used to have some firmness in a parking lot, has gone away. Not to my liking actually.

I went to Jet.com, being new customer, They have a coupon worth 15% off your first 3 orders. So, the math...each tire was $111.00, no tax, no shipping. Since the coupon maxed out at $30 value, I place two orders, with two tires each. Wah-la...4 tires at $94 is $376 delivered to my door by fedex....then, $86 to Firestone to mount and balance. So, yeah $462 total....some deal I made for myself.

I will update/review after some miles..

Also, put the AFE dry filter in, NICE...highly recommend that $63 purchase. aFe POWER 31-10151 Magnum FLOW Pro DRY S Air Filter | aFe POWER

·
Registered
13 Posts
Responding to the OP, I work at Kal Tire here in Canada. Those tires are all the rage for trucks and SUV's. ..they are ten ply which means they are rated for heavy hauling but you can still put them on irregardless. Just a heavier tire.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts